Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-09, 12:56
Registered Member

Plan: LowGI Carb
Stats: 239.4/233.8/191.8 Female 176.7
BF:
Progress: 12%

Since Ashlea has been VLC/Zero Carbing she has been able to eat breakfast, dinner, tea without problem. No sickness, pain, fatigue.......

Shes not had the vomiting like she did, not to mention the terrible pain & Chronic Fatigue thats practically vanished too, pain comes and goes...

She gets tired, but right now thats more to do with being bored! (Shes only been having school for a minimal amount of hours a week so clearly shes up for some more!)

She was sleeping practically all the time day/night before, so she never got bored as doing anything other than sleep was on her mind.

So when I say I feel as though I have a new daughter I really have literally in a few short weeks!!!! If you had of said this would be the result I would never have believed you.

This all thanks to VLC/ZERO carbing and your abundance of advice..... Shes got her life back and Im vlc/zero carbing too just to support her - Ive lost 9.5lbs and pretty happy with this way of eating so Im not about to grumble xxx
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-09, 13:04

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

So happy for you both! Well done you, to work so hard learning new things and new ways in your family routine. She is so lucky to learn this as a teen!
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-10, 12:44
Registered Member

BF:

I have created a Facebook Page for everyone regarding Acanthosis Nigricans. Its aim is to publicise this condition whilst providing helpful tips on dealing with it.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=14&uid=101001293274532#!/pages/Acanthosis-Nigricans/101001293274532?v=wall

Thankyou for reading this xx
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-10, 04:39

Plan: paleo adaptation
Stats: 248/215/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 69%

how is your Daughter doing now?
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-10, 17:27
Registered Member

BF:

My daughters body isnt coping to well on Metformin, so we are in the process of trying to get on some other medication.

She has struggled sticking with a low carb diet. Because of this she has become down in the tooth & got her self stuck in a vicious circle, because she indulges (albeit modestly) in the wrong foods (breads her favourite) & then gets exhausted & more black and gains weight... She then feels crap & starts the hole process again ....

She is seeing a counsellor who believes her problems are down to the metformin not doing its job (gives her bad diarreah). Therefore she gets down & very tired. The Professor at the Hospital thinks its down to her being depressed / emotional. This may well be the case, but get the medication right then she can move forward hopefully ....

Everything in the medical profession moves, so slowly & can get very frustrating....
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-10, 05:03

Plan: paleo adaptation
Stats: 248/215/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 69%

So sorry that she has to go through all this- wishing you all the best!
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-10, 06:02
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by broops100
My daughters body isnt coping to well on Metformin, so we are in the process of trying to get on some other medication.

She has struggled sticking with a low carb diet. Because of this she has become down in the tooth & got her self stuck in a vicious circle, because she indulges (albeit modestly) in the wrong foods (breads her favourite) & then gets exhausted & more black and gains weight... She then feels crap & starts the hole process again ....

She is seeing a counsellor who believes her problems are down to the metformin not doing its job (gives her bad diarreah). Therefore she gets down & very tired. The Professor at the Hospital thinks its down to her being depressed / emotional. This may well be the case, but get the medication right then she can move forward hopefully ....

Everything in the medical profession moves, so slowly & can get very frustrating....

OK. This is my opinion you can ignore if you like. As her eating is apparently a bit freeform I assume she's a teen not a child (as you'd control a child's eating much more). I also have a teen with weight issues though not medicated (she is losing weight on LC, albeit slowly). I don't know your history so forgive me if any of this is assumptive. But:

This whole "she is psychologically messed up and she's depressed and that's why she eats crappy and/or feels crappy" is CRAP. Psychological state is an emergent property of physiology. Of course she's depressed! We'd be depressed too! She's got some reasons situational and biochemical and nutritional to BE depressed. (And she's a teen, LOL.) But aside from basic teen hormones, those are side effects OF, not causes of, the eating issues.

Now. Why does she have problems staying on lowcarb? You mention breads.

1. I assume that when she is at home she eats nothing but lowcarb, and totally free of trigger-foods such as grains and milk and pure fructose (eg fructose fruit jams or sugary fruits), because you have made the effort to make sure your house doesn't HAVE anything but lowcarb so those foods are her only option. If there are other people that want to eat otherwise, you can learn to cook LC that includes stuff they like, and/or they can eat those things outside the house to support her efforts. You do not leave cocaine sitting on the counter for addicts no matter how fun it is for other people in the house without an official addiction problem. She'll have enough issues with life outside the home without sabotaging her inside it. Aside from the irrational religion pushed on the medical field by the unholy union of corporate marketing interests and government, there is NO good reason why any grainfood should ever be available to her in the home particularly since you already know this is a real problem for her. If there is some reason (which I'd have a hard time understanding) why you or others in the house have to eat something like that, it shouldn't be brought in until the meal and they should eat all of it, so it's not sitting around for her. You mentioned "chronic fatigue". Whether you mean that generically or officially, that's just another red flag that grains need to get out of her diet, as such an incredible number of people find these two things correlated.

2. I assume that she has unlimited access always to meat, a decent protein powder* (for protein/aminos with low calories), and to a lesser but still important degree, to something like hard cheeses, and for any veggies she might like that are LC and not 'too' buried in dressings (and only LCish dressings), right. She is growing, she MUST have access to all the protein/amino-acids in particular that her body demands she eat, or she will just eat-eat-eat because the body will DRIVE her to eat, attempting to get by spectrum/quantity the nutrients it needs, and the body tends to be naturally driven to high-energy foods which means carbs. This is a fundamental drive you cannot stop, you understand -- no amount of waxing philosophic about shoulds or lecturing about eating ethics or medically advising about calories means jack in the real world where the body WILL be driven to eat until it gets the nutrients it needs, and this is a very high need for kids/teens.

* by Protein Powder I mean something whey-based. Not soy or caseine for sure. Not insta-drinks but powder you mix with something like half&half or cream. My kid loves 'whey gourmet' brand 'creamy milk chocolate' flavor; it's a treat for her and when she really has the noshing late night she sometimes makes herself a glass of the stuff. I don't mind -- it's got plenty of protein, aminos, the h&h supplies some calories and fats that she needs (esp as she eats mostly meat/veggies with me so her calories are naturally low), she likes the taste and it's something quick and easy and that she can do for herself just because she feels like it.

3. Some people with weight and eating issues have food intolerance issues. Now, you may not be able to afford to get her a gluten/dairy screen at enterolab.com (a few hundred bucks) but if you can, please do. This is a stool test done through the mail that is a great deal more accurate than most modern medical tests and it can point out if she's got actual physical reactive markers to basic foods (the tests vary). This is important because internal inflammation drives obesity and related problem conditions and she definitely should not be eating any foods that her body is reacting to.

4. Most kids/teens are carb/sugar/grain addicts, because culturally we raised them that way before we knew better. This affects neurology (the brain) you understand, it's not just a whim of their eating, this is serious physical stuff. It is important that you make sure she understands-- and that you support this in every way you can-- that she's got to stay AWAY not just from official carbs but grains/fructose/lactose too, as those are likely to trigger the desire for carbs; and that she have ENOUGH protein/fat, as this will give her more nutrition, more energy, and make her fuller and less driven to eat for any residual hunger reasons.

5. Definitely make her part of your own research, talk with her about what you learn; and make her cook with you, making LC stuff, so she is totally comfortable (not just knowledgeable) in how to do this, and has the widest possible range of LC foods that she likes (given that teens are notoriously finicky about anything nonpoisonous LOL). Give her the freedom to plan her food life within reason concurrent with the family's, and give her the freedom to make/cook stuff for herself if she is hungry as long as it falls into the nutrients-not-carbs category and it isn't right before a meal. (It is a serious problem that some medical approaches try to starve kids in the name of reducing calories in the name of reducing bodyfat, when kids *are growing* and have *huge* nutrient needs during this stage including for fat.) Most kids are pretty smart if you let them be part of it.

6. Make sure she is taking some supplements for the nutrition that probably nobody in our culture gets and that as a growing human she will need even more than adults, and deficiency in which may contribute to eating issues. A good multivitamin; making sure that all vitamins are well represented in supplements if they are not in her diet (A [limit 10k daily], B [full spectrum complex and extra of this is ok], C [as much as she can take without the runs], D3 [unless you guys are mostly naked and live in argentina, at least a couple thousand iu daily], E [via mixed tocopherols], K (K2 mostly), as well as calcium, magnesium, potassium at decent intake levels [iron takes care of itself in red meat], some kind of Omega 3, and a supplement that is 'all amino acids' would not hurt either since that's one of the primary building blocks of life (they make capsules like that). I understand all these cost money. Liquid vitamins (keep refrigerated) are often better quality/absorption it seems. The NOW brand of vitamins (netrition.com has these. If you get em locally be sure E, D3, Omega 3, and the multi are refrigerated wherever you find them or don't buy them there) is pretty good stuff and a lot more affordable than most stuff, I've found.

7. I'm not clear on where/how she is getting the food that is offplan. Do you mean like at school lunch? If so, make sure to work with her on what she could be taking for lunch that she will have plenty of food, and be full, and like what she's eating, so she is definitely not buying lunch, and talk with her about the issues with milk (lactose=sugar=trigger) (a diet soda or two with the lunch would be way better than that). I assume you know that there are big thermoses now that are really great, nothing like the kind we grew up with, hold a ton of stuff in internal-containers including liquidy and warm stuff, you're not limited to a paper bag or tiny tin box when it comes to how lunch can be done :-) so a variety of foods she likes can be in there, including the occasional lowcarb treat if it would make her feel less 'deprived' compared to her friends eating chips and ice cream (sigh).

8. You mentioned she was on Atkins. I don't want to mess with that -- I believe in doing diets well, whatever they are -- but I'd just like to suggest that she could probably have up to 35 carbs a day (not just 20) with no harm as long as they are not grain/fructose based. Unless this is just a temporary induction in which case, definitely as few as possible is the way to go -- but that IS temporary and on Atkins will increase as the food choices increase.

Best,
PJ

Last edited by rightnow : Tue, Apr-06-10 at 06:17.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-10, 13:26

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Broops 100,

Thanks for letting us know how you're both getting on. I just wanted to say that PJ/right now has given you some great ideas here. If you're not familiar with the online supplement store in America, called iherb.com, then have a look there for the stuff she recommends. Most of it will be available there. They are really great and deliver fast. Read what it says about customs though as you need to make sure your order is worth under eighteen pounds sterling so that you don't get any nasty charges added on to your order. They are pretty much the cheapest supplier around and only charge four US dollars for P&P, too.

However, before you go crazy buying supplements, you might want to check with your docs about interactions with any medication she is being prescribed, or see if you can find out yourself on the internet before you get anything.

The other thing I wanted to say was that PJ is absolutely right about the bread thing. For some people, the so-called "opioid peptides" in bread (yes, you read that right, 'opioid', as in 'opium': bread contains these addictive compounds) seem to trigger off nasty addictive behaviour and they can't stop eating the stuff even though it is bad for them.

It seems that modern bread is particularly evil and that a lot more people are sensitive to wheat than just those people who get diagnosed with celiac disease. If she realizes that it is a particular problem already, then she needs to make it into a challenge for herself to stay away from it.

I am also trying to stay away from wheat as it seems to irritate my gums, so I wonder what it might be doing to my insides, too, and I know it's not easy. With practice though, it's getting to be more "normal" and I don't think about it so much.

Have you found any rice bread that is edible? I am very happy that a baker's in my village now stocks rice bread which is a nice change every now and then from my other non-wheat breakfast options.

About the metformin: if it is giving her diarrhoea, then she wants to go off it, in my humble opinion. Anything that gives her diarrhoea will be making her lose valuable nutrients and I don't think she can really afford that.

Does she take any magnesium in any kind of supplement form, by the way? Low magnesium levels are common in people with depression and emotional behaviour. Does she eat any magnesium-rich foods, such as nuts? The B-vitamins can also help with depression, apparently, too.

I think the main thing, though, is to make bread (or any other wheat products for that matter) an absolute no-no. If it is having such a bad effect on her, then she really needs to stay away from it. Like I say, it might be worth looking into gluten-free products, such as rice bread, that she could have as a treat instead of bread every now and then.

I miss having something to put under salted butter, so I was ecstatic when I discovered this rice bread. It is great toasted!!!

Good luck,

amanda
  #69   ^
Old Sun, May-02-10, 13:42
Registered Member

BF:

Wow thankyou for all this advice. I thought I had subscribed to this link but I never got mailed any message to say anyone else had added anything so I never looked. Ignorance isnt bliss..... Will print this lot off & away we go.

Any advice for bad breath that this way of eating seems to cause???
  #70   ^
Old Sun, May-02-10, 15:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Hi Broops100,

I have heard anectdotally that parsley oil capsules, sold under the brand name "Breath Assure" in the US, might help, since parsley is a natural breath deodorizer.

But the underlying issue of bad breath indicates an excess of unprocessed protein putrifying in the stomach. The mouth odor of ketones is said to be slightly sweet, although people in ketosis report a slightly metallic taste in their mouths.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, May-03-10, 01:43

BF:

Quote:
Wow thankyou for all this advice. I thought I had subscribed to this link but I never got mailed any message to say anyone else had added anything so I never looked. Ignorance isnt bliss..... Will print this lot off & away we go.

Any advice for bad breath that this way of eating seems to cause???

Some possible remedies would include:

- probiotics
- digestive enzymes
- HCI (betaine hydrochloric acid)

Like AJCohn says, it could be connected to some imbalance of the gut flora and any, or all, of the above three recommendations would be helpful.

I get stuff like this off iherb.com and can post you links to products I have used if you're interested. They would help her general digestion anyway, and wouldn't do any harm.

Good luck!

amanda
  #72   ^
Old Tue, May-04-10, 09:39
Registered Member

BF:

Ok, will be off to Holland & Barratt for parsley oil capsules tomorrow
  #73   ^
Old Wed, May-05-10, 00:59

BF:

Quote:
Ok, will be off to Holland & Barratt for parsley oil capsules tomorrow

Hi broops100,

Whilst you're there, do check out digestive enzymes, too. Or look for the things I mentioned online. If what ajcohn says below is true,

Quote:
But the underlying issue of bad breath indicates an excess of unprocessed protein putrifying in the stomach.

... then digestive enzymes could help with that as they would help ensure that the food your daughter eats actually gets digested and used by her body (which might also have the added benefit of improving her energy levels, too), instead of just lying about in her stomach creating bad breath.

Holland & Barrett is pretty expensive, so I hear, for supplements, though, so you might get a better price off an online supplier.

Good luck with solving this one,

amanda
  #74   ^
Old Wed, May-05-10, 12:52

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Hi broops and amanda,

I second amanda's suggestion: treat the underlying problem, rather than the symptom. In fact, I have an old private message from Amanda that recommends Wobenzym brand digestive enzymes. Is that still your choice, Amanda?
  #75   ^
Old Thu, May-06-10, 13:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
Hi broops and amanda,

I second amanda's suggestion: treat the underlying problem, rather than the symptom. In fact, I have an old private message from Amanda that recommends Wobenzym brand digestive enzymes. Is that still your choice, Amanda?

Hi ajcohn,

Wobenzym does indeed contain some of the same enzymes that are used in digestive enzymes, but Wobenzym N was intended for use between meals, not as a digestive aid. Wobenzym is intended to offer "systemic enzyme therapy", not to help you digest your food.

As for it still being my choice, well, it would be if the formula hadn't been changed!!! You can't get Wobenzym N over here any more, only a new formulation called Wobenzym P, which doesn't have the same ingredients. I got some on prescription, but I don't think it is as good as the old one.

Bummer.

amanda