Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 12:56
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/176/120 Female 65"
BF:35%/25%/20%
Progress: 19%
Default Swoosh and convection oven

Hi to all!
I have seen so many posts with swoosh. Tell me more about swoosh. Please give me details and does Atkins speak about it in the book & does it only apply to low carb?

Reason for asking is......
The first couple of weeks on Atkins, I lost 7 lbs, but the weight has slowed down. If controlling carbs to 20-25 per day, as well as drinking 70-90 oz water p/day, I was hoping to lose the same amount of weight each week. Is low carb/Atkins weight loss p/week different than low fat? When using low-fat diet, I lost just about the same amount of weight each week (1 1/2 - 2lbs per week).

Also, I will be purchasing a convection oven today, due to saving energy and ease of cleaning - when cooking for one. Any ideas on the best one for the money?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 13:25
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

A whoosh is a sudden two pound drop in your weight.

The rule of thumb is that you lose 10% of what you have to lose during induction and then 5% of what you have to lose each week after that.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 13:50
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Actually, you can lose 10% of the weight you need to lose during the first two weeks of induction and then 5% of the weight you have left to lose each month thereafter, not week.

Atkins does not address whooshes. A whoosh may occur because when your fat cells are emptied of the fat (you burn it for energy) they fill with water temporarily. Sometimes the body will release that extra water all at once and you get a sudden, unexplained loss of weight, apparently overnight.

Losing can be different for you at different times in your life as well. The first time I did Atkins I lost 2 pounds every week unless I cheated. After I had my second baby, I lost well during induction and then would not lose anything 2 weeks a month, but I would have a woosh after TOM was over. Now I'm doing Body For Life and growing muscles, the scale is up but I'm wearing smaller jeans.

The scale lies and doesn't tell the truth. Try taking measurements or have a smaller piece of clothing to try on once a month and track your progress that way.

Beth
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 16:19
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

My bad, I knew it was a 10% 5% thing. But if I have my way, which I don't It would be 5% each week there after!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 19:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236.5/223/120
BF:
Progress: 12%

A Whoosh is a gift from the Whoosh Fairy and it is the nicest of things, a sudden drop of several pounds!

#6   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 20:03
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

You'll find more "whooshing" info if you click here.

Rosebud