Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-05, 17:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

!!!!!!!!!!!!!2005!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so excited that this year has begun. I am celebrating the upcoming year of good eating and lots of exercise! I began my year today, with a 2- hour 45-minute hike in the Wekiwa Forest. It was divinely beautiful but my aching hip muscles reminded me of how LAZY I have been through the holiday season. But today is my first exercise day of this year and I am so excited and happy to begin again!

I started working an evening shift regularly so my life has changed quite a bit. I still work from home as well. This next year, my goal is to exercise every other day (last year I tried for 5 days a week but I don't think that worked very well). My favorite exercise will be hiking and now that it is cooler in Florida, I have a good 4-5 hiking months coming up. Once summer comes, I hope to join a gym or the YMCA to help over the extremely hot/humid summer months, as well as swimming. I will use the treadmill and weights on days I cannot take the time to get outdoors. But for hiking season, my goal is to get out as much as possible and try to do one LONG hike (6-8 miles) once a week. I hope to do some great hikes with the hiking club when I am off work.

Catherine is getting bicycles for us! We are pretty cash poor right now but we have a Sears card with lots of balance. So we are splurging and getting ourselves a late Christmas present. It will be great for her and she really wants to get into bike riding. She has never walked or hiked with me and I finally just let go of the need to get her to go with me. She is afraid I will woop her in bike riding but I told her it is not a contest! I think it will be great for us.

Since the TDC fitness challenge, I have kept my exercise in the President's Fitness Challenge and I am 69% of the way to getting my bronze medal. My friends here on the forum know how nerdy I am about rewards along this journey.

Exercise is important in weight loss but I do think it can be overrated. I heard something wise the other day "it is a hell of a lot easier to cut out 1,000 calories of eating than it is to work off 1,000 calories exercising". And I do think that is right. For me, it is as much of a mental need as a physical one. I just seem to thrive on it. I need the sun and I need movement. I like to make my body work and go just a bit beyond "comfort". Having lost 60 pounds has opened up such wonderful things for me. I can do physical things that one year ago were not even vaguely possible.

Without you guys, I would not have gotten through this difficult year. Catherine lost her Grandmother and a dear friend. Then the rash of hurricanes came and ate my poor car. Then Catherine got cancer (squamus cell) for the second time and had more than 1/3 of her tongue removed...... We hit rock bottom financially with the medical bills, and no health insurance. I never admitted it, but in November we had to go to a food bank twice because we had spent thousands on medical stuff and it looked like it would never end. It has been a very difficult hard year.

But we have so much to be grateful for! Our fourth anniversary is in May and we are so madly in love. Life is just so good. Broke or not, I appreciate everyday of my life and love Florida to death. Heck, I am 45 minutes from the OCEAN. My daughters are healthy and happy and my very large extended family is doing well. We both got jobs and although the pay is shitty, I LOVE the job and can supplement with my contract work. And, the benefits are FABULOUS. We were able to get Catherine the short-term catastrophic policy until she is eligible for the better insurance in 90 days. This year, I am going to the dentist and to get eyeglasses as things get better!

I complain so much but the people dying in Iraq and those affected by the terrible Tsunami have real complaints.

Orchid
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 11:06

Monday: Just Living

Tuesday:

Pull towards abdomen - 10~30#s
Pull down - 10~30#s
Shoulder Press: 5~20lbs.
Leg Extentsion: 10~20lbs.

Treadmill: 15 min./.48 miles

Boy, easy does it after this holiday lazy-fest. My rear end is still sore from my hike on Sunday! Feels great to be back on track!

Orchid
  #108   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 08:14

Wednesday:

Treadmill: 15 min./.57 miles

I start again........ one step at a time.
  #109   ^
Old Sun, Oct-02-05, 07:31

Saturday:

I hiked 3 miles into the Audobon Sanctuary and it was quite lovely. I saw a baby gopher tortoise, giant swallowtails, green lizards, and many birds. The path is quite overgrown so I was rather tired.
  #110   ^
Old Sat, Nov-12-05, 16:56

Sunday:

I did a five-mile hike in the Audobon area - I saw a white tailed deer and the head of a turtle swimming by! I have been lagging just horribly in the exercise department and I really need to pick it up. But I am so busy with Catherine, work, etc. that i cannot keep up. I need to remember that exercise is where I find my sanity and I really need that now!

Orchid