Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 17:21

Plan: PSMF 1/1/5
Stats: 268/228/155 Male 66"
BF:48/39/12
Progress: 35%
Default Any chiliheads here?

I love hot peppers and have grown habaneros, serranos and jalapenos in the past. I have a great habanero sauce recipe that is almost as hot as eating a plain, raw hab. I call it my "Three Fire Habanero Sauce" because it burns you three times: going in, going down, and going out When I was last on my current diet hardcore, I could eat quite a bit of my habanero sauce and not experience the third zone of pain.

Those of you who eat chilis, does it still hurt all the way through while on a low carb diet?

Also, if you have bought plants from chiliplants.com was the service acceptable?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 17:50
Registered Member

Plan: Shaklee Carb Smart
Stats: 200/195.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 9%

wow! I thought you might be from New Mexico with an addiction like that. I haven't noticed a change in the third zone. It is still hit or miss and as far as I can tell has nothing to do with heat. (preparation maybe?) I'm curious to try it, if you'd like to share your recipe. Sounds like a little goes a looooooooong way.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 17:58
Twinkle Toes

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/280/150 Female 5 feet 1 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Welcome aboard RDW and best of luck to you on your weight loss journey.

Can't say I'm familiar with the plan you state, doesn't seem like there's much to eat on it if your calories are only 600 per day and less than 10 grams of carbs, wow I'd like to see a sample of your daily intake foodwise.

Your hot sauce sounds like you wouldn't get a cold too often, germs must be scared silly to approach you, haha.

Hang in there.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 18:19

No, I am not from New Mexico and only went a few times as a young child. But I have had the roasted green chilis from NM and they are awesome. I need to contact chiliplants.com and see if they have the exact pepper for sale.

nikotyme,

I think it is a version of the "protein sparing modified fast" mentioned by someone else on the board. It is tough but works very well for me if I am 100% mentally prepared. I tried Atkins but the carb allowance is to high and the unlimited intake of protein, well, I don't limit myself very well so it's not a diet

Today:

Breakfast- Two strips of bacon and one fried egg
Mid-Morning - half a bag of porkskins (120c worth)
Lunch - 5oz ground beef patty
Mid-Day - half a bag of porkskins (120c worth)
Before Dinner - 2oz of Mozzarella
Dinner - 5 oz of shredded pork roast, no visible fat.

I have not lost my appetite and feel slightly weak and slightly nauseated. This will go away in a week or so and I will not need the snacks.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 21:31

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%

ME TOO, ME TOO!!! I LOVE PEPPERS!!! My favorite hotsauce is Daves Insanity.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 02:29

Plan: SBD / BFL
Stats: 304.5/285.5/235 Male 6'1"
BF:40%/38%/15%
Progress: 27%

I'm also a HUGE (pardon the pun ) fan of hot spicy food. I've made some of my own sauces in the past and have used some of the pepper mashes from Leeners and have always had good success with them. They also have some good recipes on their site.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 09:45
coffee...yum!

Plan: Who knows
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6
BF:oh/my/gosh
Progress: 22%

I am sweating just reading this thread!!!!!!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 13:08
Twinkle Toes

BF:

Hey RDW

Pardon my ignorance re: your chosen way of eating but...no veggies at all? And you say it is a fast, aren't fasts supposed to be temporary, like for a week or two? Is this system you're on what you plan to do to lose all the weight you want?

I don't mean to sound nosy, I'm just curious if one can exist on meat and cheese and pork rinds alone and wonder if perhaps the amount of calories you're having is too low for you and if that's why you feel dizzy and hungry?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 13:36

Plan: Atkins & Weight Watchers
Stats: 321/226/180 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Nikotyme,
I stay on induction the whole time to lose all the weight...I eat stricky meat and water and I drop weight like crazy...I've been on the Atkins for 10 days now and I've lost 12 pounds..it works for me, not necessarily everyone else...I take vitamins to get the fiber I need, and I'm fine.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 13:47

Plan: Atkins - Modified OWL
Stats: 290/250/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 26%

I LOOOOOOOOOVE Hot stuff - your sauce sounds great I keep jars of hot peppers on hand and they help quench my cravings if I eat one or two - I just love em!(guess they are cherry peppers?)
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 14:10

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

I love hot and spicey, hubby doesn't so I don't eat as much as I like. I've grown a few different peppers. Please share your recipies I'd love to try some new sauces. Also you might start a journal then we can stop by and see how you are going.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 16:30
Twinkle Toes

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa
Hi Nikotyme,
I stay on induction the whole time to lose all the weight...I eat stricky meat and water and I drop weight like crazy...I've been on the Atkins for 10 days now and I've lost 12 pounds..it works for me, not necessarily everyone else...I take vitamins to get the fiber I need, and I'm fine.

Maybe it works for you Melissa, but I'd hardly call what you're doing, eating meat only and water, the Atkins way of eating. Vegetables and some fruit are also part of that diet and it seems to be working just fine for me, I've lost 100 lbs since March 13, 2004, following the diet as it is meant to be followed, with meat and the recommended vegetables and fruit, cheese, cream and butter as well as a daily multivitamin and flax seed oil capsules.

I reckon the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" might apply here, the Atkins plan as it is defined in the books written by Dr. Atkins work just fine, so why change them to something else entirely and still call your way of eating Atkins, you're lying to yourself and others by saying that.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 16:42

Stats: 310/288.5/135 Female 5'6 and a half
BF:too ***#* much
Progress: 12%

There are alot of modified atkins here and plan hopping and so forth. I say whatever works best for the person.
Wow RDW! just the thought of that sauce is making me sweat. I'd love to try it if I didn't think it would kill me! (laughs...only 1/2 joking)
ttyl!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 18:21

OK, here is the recipe...

If you bottle and sell my sauce, please send me a dime for each bottle sold

I take 12-15 fresh Habaneros and boil them for about 5 minutes whole. I remove the stem and throw them into my blender. I add 1 cup of lime juice (not lemon), a full head of garlic with the husk removed and each pod smashed with the side of a knife, and one tablespoon of salt. Then I blend it for 5-10 minutes.

If I have time, I slice limes and and cut the center out so that I don't include any of the white part of the rind and substitute for the bottled lime juice.

I have experimented with adding different fruits and vegetables as a base like apricots, oranges, tomatoes, onions and sour oranges. But I keep going back to the lime/habanero combination.

It is making me salivate right now
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 19:11

nikotyme~

Although your questions sound like you are skeptical, I will happily answer any that you ask.

I believe the correct term is Protein Sparing Modified Fast. The key work is modified, a fast could be no food period which is not wise. In this case, the diet adds the very minimum amount of protein to keep you going.

Yes, I plan to use the diet as described until I am below my goal weight. I have lost 60+ pounds on this diet but that is the point that I blew it. Once I reached my goal weight, I began eating like I did when I was in my 20's and my metabolism was higher, and I exercised much more. Fast food, more than my caloric need, ect.

It is true that Atkins’ plan, not including induction allows more carbs. If I eat more than 10-15 grams of carbs a day, it blows me out of ketosis. I can get away with a cup of lettuce twice a day and maintain ketosis. However, both times that I was successful on this diet, I went protein only.

I have been off and on this diet for many, many years now. Atkin's said, "one bite is the kiss of death", and this is true for me. As a snack at work, I would eat some peanuts. Then I may grab a couple of chips, then realizing I was now way over my carb allowance, I would gorge on carbs knowing I had to start over. Or, I would do well on the diet all week, slip on Friday, and eat like a horse Saturday and Sunday.

So, my solution is NO carbs. The carbs I allow myself would be a teaspoon of ketchup on a ground beef patty, or some half n half in a Starbuck triple expresso.

It is reported, and it holds true for me, that after a few weeks the hunger goes away and the energy goes up. This does not mean that I can take a 15 mph bike ride for an hour. It is more like 12 mph for twenty minutes.

Is the diet changing ANYTHING about me other than my appearance, of course not. But as I said in my introduction post, I am so unhappy, I need to get all of the weight off now. I have picked the best time of year to start. And I have mentally prepared myself to keep the total protein to less than 15 ounces a day, the carbs to less than ten grams a day, and to not eat anything but meat, eggs, cheese, cream and butter.

The true diet, is 12 ounces of “lean” protein a day, no caffeine, and less than 10 grams of carbs. No sausage, no bacon, no brisket, no fajitas ect. No more than one egg a day and no more than 1-2 ounces of cheese a day.

Now, what I am supposed to do once I get below my goal weight is to start adding green leafy vegetables to my diet. A couple of salads a day as an example. Then I can add some fruit. If my weight is not climbing I can add some bread or pasta. But each type of carbohydrate is added over time, a few months would be best. This is where I learn how to eat and hopefully maintain my weight.

The reason I don't follow Atkin's plan is it does not work for me. I know at least two people at work who followed Atkin's and took in 35-40 grams of carbs a day and lost weight. That is GREAT and I am happy for them, as well as you. If it is working as you say, don't change anything