Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-16, 11:38

Plan: custom
Stats: 150/150/120 Male 170
BF:
Progress:
Default What oil to use in Mayonnaise?.

I've been looking at some recipes for mayo, but I can't find a suitable oil for this.

In other words:

- vegetable oils are really bad for your health, with the exception of olive oil possibly, but for that to be true it has to be virgin and organic, so, pure olive oil, not mixed, and that means it has a very strong flavor, which I don't like.

- avocado oil: prohibitively expensive, and it would take ages to make it myself.

- sesame oil?: cant find it anywhere (I live in Denmark)

- nuts oils?, also extremely expensive.

- Coconut oil: I use it a lot for frying and other things, but it makes the mayo extremely hard in the fridge.

- Ghee? didn't try but people report ghee alone has a very "presence" and it becomes so heavy that you cant use much mayo.

So... what's left?.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-16, 11:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I have used this recipe for years, but worried about the purity and processing of Light OO. http://www.everydaymaven.com/2014/h...ake-mayonnaise/

I switched to Avocado Oil when we got a Costco nearby...large 34 oz bottle, I think around $10 ? but less than EVOO.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-16, 12:16

BF:
Progress:

I will have to find a shop that sells that.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-16, 13:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I would use a refined, light version of olive oil. One that doesn't have all the flavor and characteristics of EVOO. Also, EVOO gets bitter when it is processed like with a blender. Hopefully the light, refined OO doesn't.

Sesame oil would make an awful mayo for anything except maybe Asian food. I don't think ghee would be too tasty either. I love ghee, but can't imagine wanting it in mayo.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-16, 15:46

BF:
Progress:

Oh now that you mention it, when I did mayo with extra virgin olive oil it tasted like vinegar (no I didn't user vinegar only a bit of lemon).

So that could be the reason.. and not only the strong flavor of the olive oil.

I wonder why that happens.

Anyway, seems like the only alternative is avocado oil huh.

Kind of sad.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-16, 03:48

I liked the flavor of the mayo made with Light Olive Oil, mild, any mustard or vinegar/lemon flavors you add come through.The Bertolli brand recommended in that recipe is easily found most grocers, not expensive, in Walmart.
But Avocado Oil is also mild, and at $10 for a liter, it is a healthy option, and I still use both.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 11:39

BF:
Progress:

How about MCT? did anyone try it?.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 12:52

Have you tasted MCT? And good quality is more expensive that any of these real food options. Then there is the disaster pants issue
Earlier today received an ad from Primal Kitchens for Chipotle Lime Mayo...made with Avocado oil. 12 oz jar for about $10. Trader Joe's has a good Chili Lime seasoning... add it to a light olive oil or Avocado oil Mayo made as in recipe above...total cost about $2.

https://blog.bulletproof.com/what-i...vs-coconut-oil/

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Oct-21-16 at 07:55.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-16, 07:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 20+IF
Stats: 238/186/147.5 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Coconut oil will freeze in the fridge, so no go. Unless you want to put it in tiny cubes, and take one out and thaw it before use.
Ghee is awesome - but will again solidify. But its awesome, and meant to be eaten as is. As Kids we used to wear it like lip gloss. Girls more than boys.
Pure Olive oil is bitter in mayo. That's why they mix it with canola oil or safflower. I actually don't care, I'd use it and deal with that little bitterness. Just IMHO.
MCT may be tasteless but in any significant quantity it could give you diarrhea. May not, unless you know you can tolerate it. But tasteless isn't neccesarily a good thing. Or is it ?
That leaves avocado oil as the best bet like Jey said. Just enough flavor, and stays liquid in fridge.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-16, 08:47

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinath_69
Coconut oil will freeze in the fridge, so no go. Unless you want to put it in tiny cubes, and take one out and thaw it before use.
Ghee is awesome - but will again solidify. But its awesome, and meant to be eaten as is. As Kids we used to wear it like lip gloss. Girls more than boys.
Pure Olive oil is bitter in mayo. That's why they mix it with canola oil or safflower. I actually don't care, I'd use it and deal with that little bitterness. Just IMHO.
MCT may be tasteless but in any significant quantity it could give you diarrhea. May not, unless you know you can tolerate it. But tasteless isn't neccesarily a good thing. Or is it ?
That leaves avocado oil as the best bet like Jey said. Just enough flavor, and stays liquid in fridge.

Thanks.
Srinath.

Olive oil gets that bitter taste when it is treated roughly; that is, if one uses a blender or food processor to make the mayonnaise. If, like me, one is willing to expend a bit of arm power, and 15 to 20 minutes, mayo is easily made with a whisk, and the olive oil won't get bitter. Mayo was originally made with olive oil, and I quite like it that way, though sometimes I will cut it with some avocado oil if I have it, and a quarter cup of walnut oil adds a nice background flavor.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-16, 08:19

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I've used a mix of olive and coconut oil in a mayonaisse and it stayed failrly light and fluffy in the fridge. I also made mayo out of bacon fat once and it was delish!
It's fun to try different oils and get different flavours - just make
small (1cup oil, one egg) portions and experiment!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-16, 16:07

BF:
Progress:

Mhh interesting, so, you are saying that if I use instead a stand mixer (I've been using a food processor) it wont get that bitter?.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-16, 18:06

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger33
Mhh interesting, so, you are saying that if I use instead a stand mixer (I've been using a food processor) it wont get that bitter?.

No. Olive oil sometimes (not always, from what I have read) gets bitter if it is whipped too hard, too fast. So theoretically any powered appliance would have this effect. I use a hand held balloon whisk. It takes time, about 15-20 minutes, to whisk one cup of oil into one egg yolk. But if you don't mind the exercise (I do not) then you won't have a bitter end product. Apparently other oils don't react like this to harsh treatment, so if speed were important to me I would use avocado oil. That said, I have made olive oil mayo in a blender in the past, and didn't have issues with it, but perhaps I was just lucky.

I found this information about what happens. It would seem that it is just extra virgin olive oil that gets bitter, so you could use a different grade if you wanted.
http://summertomato.com/the-bitter-...about-olive-oil