Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-07, 13:32

Plan: will follow LC
Stats: 305/305/155 Female 5' 5"
BF:unhealthy
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up Knight's "Loving Movement"

The "loving movement" phrase comes from the FLYlady. I like it because it suggests that whatever form of exercise that I choose to do, it is movement that is loving to my body.

My body has taken a lot from me, poor thing. I have been overweight for the majority of my life, starting at the age of 8. The words "gym" and "exercise" have bad memories associated with them. Some include being made fun of, unable to do what others could do, and feeling embarrassed and ashamed because of my weight. For the above reasons, I avoided exercise. In fact, I avoided and still avoid movement. It's weird.

On the flip side, when I have chosen to participate in things, I really enjoy it. A few things I did included Tang Soo Do, Tai Chi, horseback riding lessons, and ballroom dance. But, for one reason or another I stopped-sometimes for monetary reasons. I still love to dance, and am thinking of finding a way to re-incorporate it into my life.

Regardless, my goal is to include movement into my life. I've read some people don't include things like gardening as exercise, but for me, any movement I choose to do, I'm going to include in my log, as just the choice to do it is a success for me.

I do need to write that I am a queen of excuses for avoiding exercise. And I'm going to list the ones that come up for me right now:
It's too late. It's too early. I'm tired. In a minute. I just ate. I'm hungry. I have work to do. I want to watch my show. My (insert whatever) hurts. It's dark out. I don't want to do it alone. I don't have the right shoes. I don't want to change my clothes. I'm waiting for a phone call......

There are times when these are appropriate, but most often, it's a distraction, an avoidance. I think a lot of it has to do with anxiety.

So, here I am today, working on making a big change in my life and for my health.

I just took a walk. (I was going to put myself down for not walking enough, but I caught myself and I'm not going to do that.) I walked 23 minutes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-07, 17:01

Thumbs up

So, I stretched a bit this morning and as soon as I got home I went for a 34 minute walk.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-07, 11:35

Thumbs up

So yesterday I walked 34 minutes-walking down the road from my home. 17 minutes one way and actually 16.40 back. But I knew I didn't make it to the mile mark, so I was short of 2 miles overall.

Today I decided to walk to the mile mark, which wasn't that much further. So I walked the 2 miles in 35 minutes.

Edit: Forgot to add how I felt half way - (1 mile) kind of shaky. I thought it might be a blood sugar thing. I was aware of it for about half way back and then I didn't notice. I'm home and haven't eaten yet, I'm cooking lunch, and as I'm not feeling it so much, but also not exerting myself. As I wrote in my original post, I'm not so used to doing a lot-and I know it sounds lame, but that's the kind of thing I could use as an excuse for not exercising in the future.

If anyone reads this and knows why that happens-if it's something to worry about-should I just bring some nuts on a walk in case I get real shaky? I'd appreciate any info./suggestions.

Last edited by knightfree : Sat, Sep-15-07 at 11:42.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-07, 14:34

Thumbs up

I'm feeling a little bit sore from the last couple days walking. Today I did work at home. Approximately 2 hours between housework, gardening, and lawn-work.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-07, 16:36

I'm still feeling sore, if not a bit more so. I didn't walk today, and did about half of the short workout put together by Dr. Oz/You on a diet.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-07, 07:01

Thumbs up

Did a 17 minute walk in the dark this morning. Kind of nice and peaceful once I got past the whole dark thing. If time, I'll walk later, too.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-07, 03:42

Still sick , didn't walk yesterday, and I don't know what today will bring.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-07, 03:39

Unhappy

I've been sick all week, but am going to see Dr. Z, so hopefully she can help so I can get back on track.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-07, 17:37

Still sick. Was getting better, but 2 days back at work, and I've taken a few steps back.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-07, 18:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 350/260/220 Male 72
BF:50%/22%/18%
Progress: 69%

I would suggest that you make sure you are drinking enough water, maybe even take a water bottle with you when you walk. Walking,Water and Will Power and you'll meet your goal
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-07, 18:23

Thanks Anthz, I really appreciate your encouragement and support.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-07, 03:36

Went for a walk this morning. Thanks to DH, as he went with me, and I really don't like walking in the dark...

Walked 2 miles in 33 minutes-so cut my time a little.

I felt that hungry feeling, and forgot to bring water with me, so I'll bring a bottle next time.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 06:27

First time EVER that I got my butt up early to take a walk on Saturday. That is accomplishment #1. I walked the usual 2 miles, and it took 33 minutes, 14 seconds. But-yesterday when I walked with DH, he told me we took "33 min. and change"-my fault, I didn't bring my watch. So today, walking by myself (my husband is an athlete, so he does help me, I think I move faster with him) I timed my 1 mile at 17 minutes and I was bummed that it wasn't faster. So determined to make the same time as yesterday, I pushed to walk faster and even did 3 short, slow jogs, and got back having shaved off 46 seconds on the second mile-that's my second accomplishment. And I remembered to bring water! Thanks Anthz, I think it helped.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 13:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 350/260/220 Male 72
BF:50%/22%/18%
Progress: 69%

Awesome ! Losing the weight is easy ... getting up early on Saturday is the tough part I don't think 17 minute miles is too bad, you'll go further and get faster the more you get out. Keep up the good work your doing Great.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 14:59

Thanks, Anthz, I surprised myself, getting out on a Saturday!