Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-14, 12:01

Plan: Atkins 2002ish/LCHF
Stats: 228/166/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Pork Rind Bread

I don't know if anyone has posted this, but I thought of it on my own, but after I experimented with it I found similar on the net. I wanted to post it anyway because it isn't every day I think of something and it actually works.

42 grams or 1.5 oz Pork Rinds (reg or flavored)
2 large eggs

Beat eggs in small bowl. Crush or put in food processor the pork rinds. Add pork rinds to eggs, mix until well blended. Fold into a 8" X 8" greased or sprayed with cooking spray baking dish. I used glass. Spread with a fork to cover bottom of dish. (it will be thin). Bake at 350 degrees for 15 min. Use spatula to remove onto cooling rack. Cut to size.

I also used a pie plate and cooked a round one that I will use as a pizza crust. I haven't done it yet, but will soon. Freezes well too.

I've made grilled cheese sandwiches with it and it browns up nicely. It's very firm and no aftertaste.

Last edited by meintc : Sat, Nov-01-14 at 12:26.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-14, 06:06

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Sounds an interesting way of using pork rinds!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-14, 17:04

BF:

Yes it is and no carbs either. I'm looking forward to making a pizza with it too. Maybe this weekend. I've been eating skillet pizza lately and it would be interesting how it will work as a pizza crust.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-14, 17:12

BF:

I tried the bread as a pizza crust. It was awesome! It held up very well. I could hold a piece just like regular crust. I had made the crusts 1 week ago and froze it. It freezes very well. This is a keeper.

The other recipes on the net that I found after I made mine, added spices & parmesan cheese. One even used cream cheese. I've not tried them, but I like mine because it's simple. I would maybe like to add garlic to the next one. Italian spices might be nice too.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-14, 00:19

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 365/301/140 Female 5"9'
BF:
Progress: 28%

OK well this sounds utterly fantastic! This could be a perfect replacement for other things, especially in induction. I'll give it a shot and see.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-05-15, 16:27

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Meintc, This sounds like a fantastic invention.
I can't wait to try it!!
Thanks
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-21-15, 15:33

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

It was good, but pretty chewy. Tho perhaps I didn't spread the batter thin enough. Does it get crisp when thin?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 10:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
It was good, but pretty chewy. Tho perhaps I didn't spread the batter thin enough. Does it get crisp when thin?

Yes it does turn out a bit rubbery even when thin. My end product is about 1/4 in thick and it still is a bit on the elastic side. I would say that is because of the egg and since there is no leavening agent in it. I've not made it in awhile as I've no desire lately for sandwiches. I have quite a bit in the freezer and I have taken it out now and then for grilled cheese sandwiches.

As I type a reply to you, I'm wondering if baking powder might fluff it up a bit. I'll have to try that and see.

I took time out today to try adding 1 tsp baking powder to the recipe. It looks like it did soften it a bit.

Last edited by meintc : Sun, May-24-15 at 16:55. Reason: comment on leavening agent
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-25-15, 10:26

BF:

Definitely add 1 tsp baking powder to the recipe. At least with my grilled cheese it seems softer.