Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 13:07

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Good lord, with a face like that, what man is going to pay attention to her thighs?

ARC is....

focus on one imperfection and dismiss the whole person as unworthy.

ARC don't take it personally i mean no offense but to comment on just her slightly chubby thighs only without seeing her as a generally pretty woman is very typical of much of society....lots of people choose to focus on perceived flaws instead of trying to see the bigger picture(no pun intended). I find it a very sad state of affairs, that we are so shallow as human beings....

Last edited by deb34 : Fri, Dec-01-06 at 13:21.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 13:47
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Honestly? The size-12 woman might be better off doing something else besides modeling. To try to be a supermodel, I think it's abundantly clear she'd have to do some extreme starving and maybe a smack habit.
But I think a plus-size modeling contract would be a fine place to start. If the people like her so much, she'll have a career.

Incidentally, just as counterpoint to the question of male models - I studied art for a number of years and that included life drawing (drawing nude models). This was in an area with a guild for life models, which had a large list of regular models who knew how to model well (keep still, etc.).
We drew all kinds of women, from skinny to petite to enormous. But all the men were about the same - relatively ideal. One guy had a piercing in a surprising place, one was a bit long-waisted, and one guy was in his 70s, but that's all the variation there was. They were all slender, muscular, and ideally proportioned. No skinny guys, no short guys, no fat guys.

Men who weren't already the ideal wouldn't even consider modeling. So apparently all this body image stuff affects them, too.

I just looked up that modeling guild - same story holds true today. The men are all in a very narrow height/weight range. The women range from 4'11''/92 lbs to 5'10''/130 lbs to 5'6''/170 lbs.
  #93   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 13:53

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
ARC is....

focus on one imperfection and dismiss the whole person as unworthy.

ARC don't take it personally i mean no offense but to comment on just her slightly chubby thighs only without seeing her as a generally pretty woman is very typical of much of society....lots of people choose to focus on perceived flaws instead of trying to see the bigger picture(no pun intended). I find it a very sad state of affairs, that we are so shallow as human beings....

Finally. I was mostly posting to tweak some of you. Every time one of these "anorexic model" threads come up, a bunch of women decend on it like a pack of wolves, clucking their tongues about "how terrible that woman looks" and how "real men don't like women like that" and "real women have curves". Well, guess what - "real women" come in all different shapes and sizes and "real men" all have different opinions of what they find attractive.

I've seen all sorts of nasty comments about this girl and others like her on other threads. Name-calling and pointing out flaws and the like, which is the point I was trying to make by pointing out the flabby thighs on the one everyone deemed beautiful. I'm wondering what some of the people here would think if they stumbled on a website where everyone was talking about a 250 lb woman and saying "gross, look at those lumps sticking out everywhere" and "no REAL man would want that", etc? I would think that they would be justifiably upset.

The appropriate criticism goes to the industry that created this. That girl has to be that thin to work, unfortunately. That industry has created a world so far out of the realm of reality that it's pitiful. That girl has been sucked into that fantasy world and will pay for it with her health in the future. She needs to be pitied, not jumped all over.

I'm particularly sensitive to this because my wife is naturally small. She doesn't diet or try to lose weight. She just is where she is (about 5'1", 108 lbs - not anorexic or anything, just slender). She takes a huge amount of crap from heavier women where she has worked and even from her own family. She doesn't "have curves" but is most definitely a "real woman".

Sorry about the rant. I just get so tired of the reverse bashing that I see on this board.
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 14:00
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

You guys, arc is speaking for his own taste, and for what you typically see in models. Just because a guy admires a certain kind of thighs does not imply that he is shallow or dismisses the whole picture in real life.

Whoops, he posted while I was posting. Well, anyway.
  #95   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 14:14
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc

I'm particularly sensitive to this because my wife is naturally small. She doesn't diet or try to lose weight. She just is where she is (about 5'1", 108 lbs - not anorexic or anything, just slender). She takes a huge amount of crap from heavier women where she has worked and even from her own family. She doesn't "have curves" but is most definitely a "real woman".

So you would understand better those women who doomed to fight flab and cellulite for thier entire livfe and take a lot of crap from both slim women and men only because they have curves and/or celulite. I believe it goes both ways, but the trend is more and more towards "lean" and "muscular" look, which is hard to achieve for the majority of "real women" without starving and being gym rat.
  #96   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 15:15

Plan: Low Carb Style
Stats: 155/130/122 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
I believe it goes both ways, but the trend is more and more towards "lean" and "muscular" look, which is hard to achieve for the majority of "real women" without starving and being gym rat.

Unless you are an ectomorph, as is most of my family is. Naturally muscular, my father, my mother, and immediate family were never a gym rats, and still maintained a muscular build without starving.

I figure you are only "doomed" if you desire too strongly to be like something that you're not. If you are a "pear" shaped, you'll never achieve the long slender body type.

http://www.weightlossforall.com/bod...weight-loss.htm

Arc has a point, its all just a matter of opinion. I do believe that girl is very thin, but I am not disgusted by it because its her choice. Its unfair to assume that this girl has XXX type of issues or to critisize, because as far as we know so does the plus sized model. Some men and woman like the look of thin, some like "curves" and some men like over weight woman more.
I am pretty confused as to what constitutes a "real woman" anyways? Yes, it is to each thier own.
  #97   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 15:22

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
So you would understand better those women who doomed to fight flab and cellulite for thier entire livfe and take a lot of crap from both slim women and men only because they have curves and/or celulite. I believe it goes both ways, but the trend is more and more towards "lean" and "muscular" look, which is hard to achieve for the majority of "real women" without starving and being gym rat.

Well, my point was that we all have our own struggles and looking down on others that are different is uncalled for, no matter which direction we are coming from.
  #98   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 15:44
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I don't have to stumble into a website to hear comments about fat women being unattractive, I hear it to my face, or rather as a knife in the back from people who seem to think my fat butt muffles the sound of their voices.
  #99   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 20:00

Plan: 00000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 0000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Well, I hope she attains some sort of fame/success. I hate to admit this -- but I am rooting for her mostly because she represents girls like me...and I've felt pretty invisible all my life.
  #100   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-06, 23:52
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan

I figure you are only "doomed" if you desire too strongly to be like something that you're not. If you are a "pear" shaped, you'll never achieve the long slender body type.

I am not a pear but hourglass with very little flab, despite being almost 50. never even dreamed of long slender body, this you have to be born with. So I am working on keeping flab at bay and would rather have bigger tighs as long as they are not jiggly. Consider that I am almost 50, I am doing quite well. As I said it is not what is your size and weight, it is how you look with and without clothes.
  #101   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-06, 00:45

Plan: ANA meets BFL
Stats: 205/153/155 Male 5'7"
BF:36%/10%/10%
Progress: 104%

The stick-thin Marianne Berglund is certainly NOT attractive in the least. WAAAAYYYYYYY too skinny.

However, when I look at Jen Hunter, I think "cute girl, if she lost a couple of pounds she'd be hot". Size 12 is still pretty thick by any set of standards. It absolutely most definitely qualifies as "plus sized". I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just not even close to lean.

LOTS of people go from being thick to being exceptionally lean. I'm not saying that everyone SHOULD do that, but if Ms. Hunter actually thinks she wants to be a "supermodel", girl needs to hit the gym. Half of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up to get it. More crunches, less croissants.
  #102   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-06, 05:47

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

With regard to the 'cult of thinness', I thought posters to this thread might be interested to read the following:

It was part of an email newsletter sent out by Caryn Franklin, who is the presenter of the Clothes Show in the UK, and has over 25 years experience in the fashion industry.

Quote:
Fashion Talk

I was asked to speak about the cult of thin for a new TV programme recently. It is a pet subject of mine, as regular readers will know. Why it is, will have to wait to another newsletter, but let’s just say that I like to protest against the use of very thin models much to the irritation of the rest of the fashion industry. I’ve been doing this actively for around 15 years.

One of the subjects I talked about was the power of Hollywood to dictate our ideal or beauty to us. I’m telling you this because most of it ends up on the cutting room floor when you give interviews so perhaps you won’t see it. My point is that many young starlets are put under pressure to loose weight in order to be considered for a role. This is because many of the leading men are not as tall and beefy as they look and need the leading lady to appear small and frail in order to make them look larger. I’m not mentioning any names and of course I’m not saying any male superstar is personally to blame, but you get my drift.

With that in mind I’m glad to hear that socialite and TV star NICOLE RICHIE has entered a clinic to deal with her weight. Her frail and wasted body was not a healthy role model for any of her young fans.

Strange though to learn that she has also sacked her stylist. Word is that the super thin clothes-horse finally recognises that she must change her lifestyle in order to return to health. This involves distancing herself from the pressure to drop weight in order to wear designer garments.

And when you start to do the maths – the same stylist has a few other clients who have shed considerable weight recently KEIRA KNIGHTLEY for one!

I was shocked also to see the approach taken on reality model shows where young women are subjected to nothing more than televised bullying from known industry faces. I was asked to appear myself on one of the programmes (can’t remember which because there are so many of them now) and discuss the fashion content of the pictures that these models appear in as part of the challenge to see who will win. I turned it down.

To my mind these programmes seem to have replaced the old style beauty pageants, you know the ones where pretty girls parade up and down in their swimsuits with the promise of being crowned princess and a years travel. Today’s equivalent is a modelling contract but we aren’t meant to be interested in whether the contestants want to work with animals or save the world. Instead we watch them as they are pushed to their emotional limits, harassed about their weight and set upon by other contestants.

On another day I was asked to talk about age appropriate dressing for a National Newspaper. I made it clear that I would comment on the choices of clothes that each celebrity was wearing, but I would not be ridiculing them - it’s just not my cup of tea. Strange then to see myself in print giving Liz Hurley a dressing down because she wears midriff revealing clothes at forty plus! My exact words were...

“This is a woman who confesses she works very hard to maintain an immaculate figure and her body at 40 is as good, as if not better than that of many 20 year olds. She has earned the right to wear figure hugging clothes if she chooses.”

The caption that appeared...

‘Liz Hurley – she’s just embarrassing’

I thought you should know.

Still another day another dress! All four women I worked with the following week on a studio shoot for a newspaper double page spread loved the body shape tips I gave them. I chose party dresses for each of them that were colourful and bright. I was particularly pleased with the emerald green empire line I chose for one curvaceous and petite reader.

The Picture editor told me she thought it was best if she stretched this woman (digitally) to look taller and slimmer and I protested. We all know it goes on with models but surely the very least we can do is create realistic pictures of ordinary women looking wonderful and honour the shape that they are.

Last edited by Demi : Sat, Dec-02-06 at 10:30. Reason: Missed a piece off the bottom of the article
  #103   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-06, 11:47

Plan: General LC
Stats: 240/235/155 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I agree with arc. It's pretty hypocritical to complain about the way society treats overweight people and then rip underweight people to shreds. I also find the comparison of skinny people to concentration camp victims abhorrent. Are we really so body-obsessed that it's ok to compare overly skinny models to victims of one of the worst atrocities of the last century?

I think it's a shame that the fashion industry perpetuates an impossible ideal, but whenever they've tried using bigger models it doesn't work. As Ayu mentioned, people like the fantasy. I think we can all agree that this "fantasy" image of skinniness has run to a ridiculous extreme, but that's no reason to pick on too-skinny models or make disgusting comparisons.
  #104   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-06, 11:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

When have they tried to use larger models and why didn't it work?
  #105   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-06, 12:00

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

Victoria's Secret uses larger models, and their catalogs are very well received. And their TV specials get good ratings.