Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-11, 12:02

Plan: IBS Diet/Intuitive Eating
Stats: 321/194.2/199 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Hi Debbie,
This is the recipe I used, but I didn't add nuts. It was extremely bland. But I think with some vanilla extract and nutmeg or cinnamon, it might be okay. I would also use less gelatin than the recipe calls for. It was very rubbery.

http://www.easy-indian-food-recipes...gg-custard.html

If you Google "Spanish cream recipe", you will see recipes that look similar but more tasty than the above, but they also seem a bit more involved.

After I get back home and settle in a bit, I will contact you about purchasing a pound or two of the collagen hydrolysate. Too much to do today, getting ready to leave tomorrow.

Cathy
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-11, 10:50

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

I tend to add some gelatin to custard type desserts and just anywhere I can fit it in.
In varying quantities since not everything is that type of consistence. But custard for ice cream is perfect and the consistency is improved but the pumpkin cheese cake on T-day, Indian pudding, my homemade yogurt, eggnog or any blended/heated beverage (hot cocoa)....
There's really no end just think about it any time you make anythng w a sauce and sprinkle some in.
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-11, 09:53

Plan: General LC (was Atkins)
Stats: 168/145.8/155 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:32%/24%/?
Progress: 171%

This is SUCH an interesting eating plan to me. I have found that no matter how carefully I eat, if I exercise, I stall out on losing weight.

Reading from the previously referenced interview is very provoking:

Quote:
Mary Shomon: You feel that excessive aerobic exercise can be a cause of hypothyroidism. Can you explain this further? How much is too much?

Dr. Ray Peat: I'm not sure who introduced the term "aerobic" to describe the state of anaerobic metabolism that develops during stressful exercise, but it has had many harmful repercussions. In experiments, T3 production is stopped very quickly by even "sub-aerobic" exercise, probably becaue of the combination of a decrease of blood glucose and an increase in free fatty acids.

I am currently stalled at 160 which is one of my previous "fat setpoints", and I stalled as soon as I started walking more (6-7 miles a day). HMMM.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 13:39

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Just thought I'd subscribe to this thread in case it gets more traffic.

Peat's ideas are indeed intriguing. I've been trying coconut oil and it does indeed warm my feet up!!!

amanda
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 17:33

Plan: cronometer + Ray Peat
Stats: 185/118.4/125 Female 5' 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 111%

OMG, check this out: http://180degreehealth.blogspot.com...al-fatigue.html and be sure to note the references to Ray Peat!!
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 13:07

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesimply
OMG, check this out: http://180degreehealth.blogspot.com...al-fatigue.html and be sure to note the references to Ray Peat!!

When I have a couple of spare days - - I'll try to read it properly!!!

It does look like an interesting discussion, though...

I have just dug out my copy of Fallon and Enig's diet book, "Eat Fat, Lose Fat", which is their version of high-carb, low-fat with a lot of coconut products thrown in.

Feeling a bit dizzy at the moment - just mentally, though, fortunately - about all these ideas!!! Where to start and where to go???

Oh, and by the way, I made a delicious GF cake with my 10yo daughter yesterday. A "French cherry cake", with 100g of dark chocolate, 4 eggs, a jar of sour cherries, and ground hazelnuts amongst the ingredients: very nice and moist!!! But much too more-ish!!!

amanda
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-11, 00:25
Registered Member

Plan: Ray Peat
Stats: 200/90/85 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51
my confusion re yogurt (& peat did not address) is that the digestive process of milk=lactic acid. so it seemed that eating yogurt was just bypassing that step.

Just out of curiousity, did you ever get a response from Peat to this question?

I eat yogurt instead of milk and I'm reluctant to go back to milk because of digestability issues. I've read some interesting points about casein and it's glue-like qualities which make it completely indigestable for simple stomach creatures like humans. Apparently the 'glue' adheres to intestinal villi which over time blocks nutrient absorption which is obviously not good.

Apparently the only thing that breaks this glue down is a period of fermentation hence why I opt for yogurt over milk, but now I read about Ray's concern over lactic acid and now I'm concerned. You can read more about the casein-glue issue here

Also, I don't understand why he recommends cheese but not yogurt? Is this because there is no lactic acid in the former? I gather fermenting cheese is a bit different to fermenting yogurt?
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-11, 20:36

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some

Yes, it is the lactic acid that he is against.

He did resond saying something like, stress creates lactic acid and we don't need any more.

But what he didn't respond to is the fact that during the digestion of milk lactic acid is created so what's the dif.
He may very well be a smart researcher but once he makes a decision about something, that's it. No more thought....I guess!

My feeling is; read all the research and decide what really makes sense.
Leaving something w loose strings always causes confusion.
  #69   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-11, 07:13
Registered Member

Plan: Ray Peat
Stats: 200/90/85 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51
But what he didn't respond to is the fact that during the digestion of milk lactic acid is created so what's the dif.

Do you know if that is definitely the case though? I've been trying to find some info on the digestion of milk and haven't come up with much. Some things I've read say lactic acid is only produced when the milk is exposed to lactic acid creating bacteria.

I hope you're right, I don't want to have to give up yogurt!
  #70   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-11, 17:40
Registered Member

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 135/125/125 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Default New to Ray Peat after 9 years of low-carb

Hi everyone, I've just read through this very interesting thread, which I arrived at, first by reading Matt Stone's 180 Degree Health blog and then by following up with some of the authors who've influenced him (i.e Ray Peat).

I'm hoping to find other people to support me as I experiment with this way of eating, because everything I'm doing (reducing cardio exercise, refusing to complete my one month trial of "hot" yoga, eating saturated fat and avoiding plant oils), is in direct opposition to what's considered healthy.

I went through people worrying about me when I originally lost 15 lbs and kept it off through l/c'ing, but at least I could point to great skin and hair and a lean muscular body as a sign that it was working.

As I got older though, I seemed to be able to eat fewer and fewer carbs without my weight jumping up. It has slowly climbed back up to 15 lbs over ideal, and I cannot lose an ounce, even though I've followed a low-carb way of life fastidiously for 9 years. 2 years ago, I started doing excessive cardio as well as limiting calories for the first time since before l/c to try and keep my weight down, which apparently was also a mistake.

So two weeks ago, I added a lot more carbs to my diet (per Matt Stone's) advice, although I haven't been overeating like he recommends. Initially my skin looked fantastic, but after making some tweaks to follow Ray Peat, I look like I've aged 10 years. I also feel puffy and flabby. I'm wondering if this is typical as your body recovers from a previously high intake of PUFA.

I'd love to hear from any of you who have had to wait for the beneficial changes, just to make sure they are in fact coming. I'm also terrified of having to fight sugar cravings again, and wonder if that may be a factor with this diet.

Thanks for any encouragement.

Megan
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-11, 04:43

Plan: cronometer + Ray Peat
Stats: 185/118.4/125 Female 5' 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 111%

Welcome Megan!

I think you'll find people here who are really seeking truth and support, just like you. From my own experience, I lost about 30 lbs. in 7 months (I'm a slow loser) back in 2008, then had major thyroid & adrenal issues, stalled for over a year, gained it all back and couldn't lose doing Atkins again. Peat and Stone have some REALLY thought-provoking ideas, yes? I know for me personally, my basal temps drop whenever I eat really LC so I also am trying to incorporate more (whole food) carbs. As for the recent puffiness/flabbiness, have you emailed Matt and asked what his thoughts are on that? Aside from water retention I don't know.

This isn't a super active thread but stay with it--there are some really helpful and insightful people here, and we're on this journey together.
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-11, 07:49

Plan: AK
Stats: 155/147/145 Male 5'7 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 80%

So why Not muscle meat ? that just don't sound right ! a little help with good link .. thank you (:
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-11, 09:04
Registered Member

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 135/125/125 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:

Thanks for the welcome!

I have great news: I'm up to normal human body temperature this morning and the scale budged for the first time in months.

I have a freezer full of salmon (not a preferred choice of Ray Peat's), but I prepared a slab last night using coconut oil instead of my usual method of covering it with salsa. I also followed up with a pudding I made with unflavored gelatin, whole milk and a touch of cocoa and cinnamon (no added sugar). I had a cup of sweet potatoes and salad greens as well. I went to bed feeling enormous, but my stomach is visibly flatter this morning, and I'm down 1.5 lbs.

Ron, Here's a link: http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/tryptophan-serotonin-aging.shtml and a quote from half way down the page:

In the traditional diet, rather than just eating muscle meats, all the animal parts were used. Since collagen makes up about 50% of the protein in an animal, and is free of tryptophan, this means that people were getting about half as much tryptophan in proportion to other amino acids when they used foods such as “head cheese,” ox-tails, and chicken feet.

While some of the toxic effects of an excess of individual amino acids have been investigated, and some of the protective or harmful interactions resulting from changing the ratios of the amino acids have been observed, the fact that there are about 20 amino acids in our normal diet means that there is an enormous number of possibilities for harmful or beneficial interactions.

This is what spurred my decision to consume gelatin along with the salmon I had for dinner last night. Today I'm going shopping for meat on the bone. I'm not sure if I'm quite ready to spring chicken feet on my family though.
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-11, 18:07

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Great summary of why gelatine matters for us meat eaters:

http://www.giveittomeraw.com/forum/...t-rocks-gelatin
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-11, 13:56

Plan: modified Peat
Stats: 202/214/180 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: -55%
Default ray peat's idea of normal blood sugar

I can't figure out what Peat thinks is a normal blood sugar? As in normal fasting blood sugar, normal post prandial blood sugar, nornal A1C?

thanks,
sollyb