Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-10, 20:37
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF diet
Stats: 140/130/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default high cholesterol?!?!?!?!!

My LDL is 162..... triglycerides 26....HDL 59... total 226 but he said eat low fat cause my LDL is too high!!!! Why is this happening? IS there a reason for this? And he said my b-12 is too high!!??!?! WHat is that??? please any info would be great!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 03:29
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

click to enlarge
From Primitivo's blog we see the most favourable t-C levels, for overall good health and longevity, are in the range 200-240 mg/dl

That is not to say your LDL could not be lower or your HDL higher.

Dr Davis Heartscanblog has some good ideas on raising HDL

The B12 is probably about vitamin B12 you may find that quitting your multivitamin for a few weeks will allow that to drop.
VITAMIN B12 INFORMATION Must admit I didn't think there were any adverse effects from too much B12 I thought most people (particularly vegetarians) were possibly B12 insufficient.

For most people Vitamin B12 - Methylcobalamin is the most effective form as this is the active form.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Tue, Sep-21-10 at 09:00.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 08:42

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Hey Apple, your Total Chol is exactly the same as mine at 226 and your Trigs are even better, 26 is fabulous. Your HDL is nothing to sneeze at either. DON'T go low-fat, your diet is working for you just fine I bet. There is a sticky in this forum called "why did your LDL go up on low carb". I have to go to work soon or I'd write more. So don't panic.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-11-10, 06:17
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you Thank you... I have been away for a while didn;t get to check my mail... On a cruise in europe actually... I am still eatiung fat. maybe not as much as I was before. Like I am not adding fat to my meat anymore... but eating fatty meat. I have to get another blood test at the end of this month... The way he was talking to me it seemed he wanted to put me on meds!!!!!! No way!!! I am hoping all is well for the next doctors visit. Does it go down?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-11-10, 08:55
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Don't be a dipstick Dr Davis explains why a better test of cholesterol which actually measure particle size and shows if you have too much of the of the worst particle type and provides a link to a testing service.

It may help if you look at the photo's Ned Kock has put online Large LDL and small HDL particles: The best combination so you understand how Large LDL particles are the least likely to cause plaque formation and therefore not worth worrying about.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-11-10, 09:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple7
My LDL is 162..... triglycerides 26....HDL 59... total 226 but he said eat low fat cause my LDL is too high!!!! Why is this happening? IS there a reason for this? And he said my b-12 is too high!!??!?! WHat is that??? please any info would be great!!!!!!!

The lower your triglycerides go, the higher your LDL will appear due to the way it's calculated. Read the stickies at the top of the forum for the explanation. You have the lowest Trigs I've ever seen so it's likely to have a pretty big impact on your LDL's.

BTW: Low trigs is a good thing!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-10, 06:07
Registered Member

BF:

Well I am ok with the numbers as long as I am not gona have a heart attack or something. lol But what do I say to my doc??? No I don't want meds and I don't want to see you anymore??? What do you all say??? Should I even try and explain it? He looked soooo worried and shoked by my numbers... not sure why... Which caused me to get all nervous, shaky and sweaty. By the way When he he took my blood I had not eaten since the night before... And my appointment was ~ 3 pm. the next day. So I had fasted for a long time!!!!!! Not sure if that affects numbers too???
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-10, 06:49

Plan: Zero Carbs since 01/09
Stats: 220/134.8/135 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

My trigs are 25, my HDL is 82. My Doc barely blinked when he saw my LDL was 304 because he knows how I eat and fully supports it.

He looked into getting a VAP test (to quiet the inlaws), but they are not available here yet, but he is fully assured that my LDL is of the large and fluffy type, because of my extremely low trigs (and the highest HDL he has ever seen).

Because of protocol he had to offer me statins, knowing full well what my answer would be and he told me he was far from worried about my numbers and told me to keep up the great work.

There is evidence around that shows that as women age, they maintain better health with higher cholesterol numbers than lower. My Doc seems to be quite current on his studies so that was pleasing.

He knows I eat zero carbs and he knows how my kids eat, and he said if everyone ate more like us he would not have much to do at work all day and said he now knows why he never sees any of us in his office (I hadn't seen him since I was pregnant 3 years before).

Your numbers are amazing

What to say? Ask him if your LDL was calculated (it was). If he does not know then ask him for a VAP test to be sure. If he tries to tell you it wasn't calculated (he lied LOL) then ask if your LDL is type A or type B. That will trip him up LOL.

When trigs are under 100, LDL is ALWAYS calculated unless they run a VAP test. When they run a VAP test it breaks up the LDL into type A and type B (A: being the large and fluffy/harmless type). VAP tests are not standard so unless he asked for one I can assume it was not done.

Persons with LDL cholesterol pattern A have large, buoyant LDL cholesterol particles. Individuals with pattern A are more likely to have normal blood levels of LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, and triglycerides. Pattern A is usually not associated with an increased likelihood of atherosclerosis.

Persons with LDL cholesterol pattern B have predominantly small and dense LDL cholesterol particles. Pattern B is frequently associated with low HDL cholesterol levels, elevated triglyceride levels, and the tendency to develop high blood sugar levels and type II diabetes mellitus.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-10, 06:53
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you Thank you!!!!!! I am still loving this way of eating anyway! Wouldn't change it!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-10, 06:58

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple7

You also posted you might have thyroid disease. A sudden increase in cholesterol can be a symptom of this. Can you list all the tests you had with results and lab ranges? You can't just pinpoint one test and try to figure out things-the systems in the body are interconnected and when one if off more than likely another is too.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-10, 07:19

Plan: Zero Carbs since 01/09
Stats: 220/134.8/135 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

check this out:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2564950

because the numbers are (metric?) I did this conversion:

92 women aged 60 years and over (mean 82.2, SD 8.6) living in a nursing home and free from overt cancer were followed-up for 5 years. 53 died during this period; necropsy revealed cancer in only 1 patient. Serum total cholesterol at entry ranged from 154-340 (mean 244, SD 1.1). Cox's proportional hazards analysis showed a J-shaped relation between serum cholesterol and mortality. Mortality was lowest at serum cholesterol 270, 5.2 times higher than the minimum at serum cholesterol 154, and only 1.8 times higher when cholesterol concentration was 340. This relation held true irrespective of age, even when blood pressure, body weight, history of myocardial infarction, creatinine clearance, and plasma proteins were taken into account. The relation between low cholesterol values and increased mortality was independent of the incidence of cancer.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-10, 14:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

I was forced to get B/W as a job requirement, other wise I wouldn't have checked the cholesterol.
My cholesterol was 287 mg/dl
triglycerides 44
HDL - 94
LDL calc -185 mg%
non HDL cholesterol 194.

The occupational Dr (not my Dr) that was the official consult for my session said that had I been his patient he would have put me on satins. And he knows I am TTC, now what would that have done to my future fetus? I told him that my tri's are great and that my HDL people would kill for, but he wouldn't listen. I asked him if as a 40 year old women I am in any way in at risk for heart disease, the only risk I have is of not getting Alzheimer's. In the end I just nodded passively, why argue with the experts?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 06:22
Registered Member

BF:

I know.... I am actually putting off my appointment, just cause I don't have all the correct answers and responses. And I am sure I am healthy.. Not really worth telling him my thoughts and ideas if he won't agree..... Just gonna keep eating this way and hope for the best.... for now... Till I get my thyroid checked, maybe through an online test!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-30-10, 12:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

My Dr had me do b/w again, I was surprised to see these results 20 days after the original test -

CHOLESTEROL 252.1 mg/dl

TRIGLYCERIDES 83 mg/dl

CHOLESTEROL- HDL 88 mg/dl

CHOLESTEROL-LDL calc 147.6 mg/dl

NON-HDL_CHOLESTEROL 164 mg/dl

Does it fluctuate that much? I did not change my diet at all.