Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-17-18, 07:53

Plan: Ketogenic and OMAD
Stats: 325/283/185 Male 69 inches
BF:Sorry, don't know
Progress: 30%
Default Another returner to the 'glory' that is Ketosis

Hello folks,

I'm a British (Welsh) bloke of 61, trying to reverse a recent doctor's diagnosis of 'Type 2 Diabetes' and all the concerns that tend to go with that.

I'm a fully convinced 'believer' in the science of Ketosis and 'Low-Carbing.' I proved this to myself back in January to July 2011, when I lost 86lbs in weight during that 6.5 months. Yeah pretty spectacular eh?

The problem was...like many of us, having found the perfect method to control my weight, I was seduced back to the (carb/sugar) 'dark side' by my complacency. Resulting, in the meantime, to revert back to becoming heavier than I ever was before.

At the start of this diet (1st May) I was 325lbs, I'm now 318lbs, so I've made a reasonable start in only 2 weeks. However, I'm all too aware I'm not losing the weight at the same rate as before...age?

Anyway, the 'long and the short' of it is...I'm back trying to maintain my discipline again. Annoyed with myself, that I never continued with the lifestyle of 'low-carb eating' back in 2011 onwards. And my weight issues and health consequences, wouldn't have resurfaced like they have!?

Anyway I'm positive and motivated! And I will succeed again!

If anyone wants to 'link up' feel free to contact me.

Best regards,

Tim.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-17-18, 10:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back Tim

Knowing that being in ketosis is a "glory" will make it easy for you.

Don't miss the Diabetes sub-forum here for specific questions related to T2. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Also information on Low Carb diets for T2 diabetes from Dr. David Unwin https://www.dietdoctor.com/dr-david...-diabetes-times
http://healthinsightuk.org/2014/11/...tes-a-gps-tale/

Dr. Eades has some good tips about why LC may seem harder the "second time around" https://proteinpower.com/drmike/201...w-carb-dieters/
Yes age, but also people tend to remember the later phases of a LC diet. Try a re-start using strict induction rules get back into ketosis, become fat-adapted and control cravings.

You have found a great forum for information and support. Maybe join a buddy group, or read success stories, etc.

All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, May-17-18 at 12:27.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-18-18, 02:07

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome Tim.

86 pounds in under 7 months sounds pretty amazing. I'm not sure exactly where I was at after 7 months, but I know it took me just on a year to lose 100, so you were definitely quicker than me, first time around.

The fact that you've already succeeded with LC once before should be all the proof you need that it can work for you again, although your mentioning that it seems a bit slower the second time around is a comment I read a lot amongst those who do start again. I wouldn't let it bother you too much. It's not a race, you know it works, you'll get there again in reasonable time I'm sure.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-18-18, 03:38

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:

Hi, Tim. Welcome! I wish you continued success.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-18-18, 03:55

Thank you both, for your welcome, web links, advice and empathy, it's genuinely appreciated.

I was most interested to read about the 'second time' around 'syndrome.' Although I haven't read the advice in the links provided yet. I'm not too worried though,

I've set myself '1 full year' on this diet (until 1st May 2019) to achieve my 115lbs weight loss. While it's undoubtedly ambitious, it does mean only losing 2.211lbs (or 1kg) per week and that should be an achievable target, you'd expect??? I'm expecting, having maintained the 'diet' for that length of time, I'd be more inclined to continue 'eating LC' as a permanent lifestyle choice.

Actually, this is not my 'second bash' at LC dieting. Ever since regaining most of my original weight, I've made a number of failed attempts, to recapture the relief, excitement and confidence, in having proven LC diets 'work' for me.

My wife is completely unconvinced by my almost religious zeal in 'selling her the science' behind LC eating. With us regularly needing to make different meals each evening, well it became a significantly demotivating factor with continuing. (My wife is not affected by being overweight)

I shall certainly, 'delve deeply' into the forum history, for advice and tips and asking whether a particular food is 'allowable to maintain 'ketosis.'

The problem for 'us Brits' though, is with the names/products identified on US based forums. examples of which would be US rutabaga to UK swede, plus, US scallion to UK spring onion. So to get around that, I only tend to use the most basic (non processed) of foodstuffs. Eating as naturally as I can, trying to ensure what's on my plate is all 'acceptable food' helping to maintain 'ketosis.'

Anyway, enough from me for now. Onwards and Upwards eh?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-18-18, 05:47

This forum is based in Canada, and has a section for U.K. members. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35 (see post on two nations divided by a common language, aka the sticky on language differences at top of section ) Two moderators are Canadian and Australian, Grav who answered above is from NZ (check out his success story!) and I lived in the U.K. six years and able adjust terms and grammar when needed.
Have you found DietDoctor as a resource. If you join for a free month trial (very easy to stop membership) you get access to high quality talks and films including many on diabetes. Maybe watching some of those together with your wife would help her understand why low carb is best for your health. Here is one example, membership not needed for this one. https://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf-dia...dr-eric-westman

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, May-18-18 at 05:54.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-20-18, 03:31

I'm really encouraged, having found this forum, how much advice and information is available here to expand our knowledge/experience about living a permanent 'low carb' lifestyle.

The problem for me though, like many newbies no doubt, is knowing where to find/access the specific information required at any given time. For me, at the moment, I'm a little confused about what levels of protein, and fat I should be consuming at my 'stage' of the diet?

I realise I'm at the start of my diet of course, but where do I obtain specific advice about each stage, regarding consumption levels? Currently, my primary interest is in losing weight. From what I've learned, that advice would be modified once I reach my target weight and from then on, I'd only need to tailor that advice to maintain that weight.

Even though, as I explained in an earlier post, I've successfully lost weight on a 'Ketogenic' based diet back in 2011. There wasn't much 'learning' involved then. As I simply bought pre-packed meals, catering to placing my body into a state of ketosis. That company's advice was provided, but I felt it was mainly aimed at their system.

I considered doing that again, but felt, if I'm to live the LC lifestyle, I need to learn how to do it effectively, when having to make my own food choices. When I go online to learn about the science, the various ingredients and eating advice. It doesn't always relate to losing weight, often it's more related to 'the lifestyle.' I'd love to be able to separate those two advice pools.

Currently, I'm concerned, because of my slow weight loss, that I'm taking in too much fat, or 'unseen carbs' in foodstuffs at this early stage. (Yes, even though I use mainly basic, non-processed foods, I do read labels about carb content if necessary)

Because I work long hours, it doesn't always allow me to spend too much time 'digging' this information out. What I think would be a real help, is a list of 'acceptable' basic foods that I could 'mix and match,' not to become bored in a culinary sense and also, most importantly, still stay in ketosis...and to lose weight at a consistently better rate.

No doubt these sentiments/questions are expressed/asked by the vast majority of new starters. If anyone could provide a couple of helpful links that would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-20-18, 05:24

Quote:
What I think would be a real help, is a list of 'acceptable' basic foods that I could 'mix and match,' not to become bored in a culinary sense and also, most importantly, still stay in ketosis...and to lose weight at a consistently better rate.

Here is a clinic diet with a list of foods that worked for me and thousands of other obese people over the past 20 years. I recommend this one by Dr. Westman, also in the back of Why We Get Fat. Super Simple. Eat only what is on the list of permitted foods (no nuts, alcohol) and follow the limits for vegetables (3 cups), 2T cream, 4 oz cheese. You will be under 20g total carbs without having to count them. Mostly eat real food proteins and the fat that comes with them.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-co...starch_diet.pdf The only minor difference between this copy and the Clinic Plan, is that the Clinic limits Cream, Mayonnaise and Soy Source to 2T, not 4 as listed here.

Above is based on what Dr. Atkins used in his clinic around 2000. The Atkins Induction list from 1992 book also works, top of Atkins forum. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482 This gives a you a bit more flexibility than the diet used for clinical trials.

Yet more generous is the LCHF plan on DietDoctor. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Scroll down to this new folder. Print on two sides, triple fold, carry this with you for list of foods allowed. He doesn't mention limits on fat and dairy but the basic food lists are here, an Eat this, Not that approach. https://www.dietdoctor.com/wp-conte...folder_1803.pdf They are all simple and work, the rate of weight loss may depend on your metabolic health, medications, etc.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, May-20-18 at 07:40.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-20-18, 11:27

Hello Janet,

Thank you so much, those links will be invaluable to me setting off with eating the right foods in the right portions.

It's genuinely appreciated.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-20-18, 14:09

BF:

Janet's lists are really good, as her posts always are.

Here's another one for you, from realmealrevolution.com. This is an updated version of the original list that I personally got started on. It's a bit more detailed, but is laid out in such a way that best to worst goes left to right, so you can work out for yourself how much variety you can personally allow yourself while still losing weight.

Another point worth making is that you probably want to make your doctor aware of what you're doing, especially if you have any other pre-existing conditions, and particularly any that require medication. I remember helping another lady I know a while back who's about your age; she was on a cocktail of daily meds and had recurring appointments with her doc every few weeks. A year later, not only had she lost 20kg, but she'd come off all but one of her meds, and now only needs to see her doc every few months. So if you can relate to any of that, then definitely make sure your doc knows what's going on as well.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 10:21

Hello Grav,

Even though I've just been diagnosed as having 'Type 2 Diabetes,' with the diagnosis being made at the end of April, (some three weeks ago) I'm not on medication of any kind.

Hopefully, I don't intend to be on any medication either...if I can possibly avoid it? I told him I intend to entrust my reversal of this diagnosis, to my Ketogenic Diet plan.

When I told the Doctor this was my preference and plan, particularly when I think I showed him I had some past experience and a basic knowledge...not only did he not argue against it, he was mildly supportive. Which did surprise me somewhat, as I expected it to be challenged? Saying he'd allow me 3 months, before retesting my blood sugar levels again, to give the diet time to work.

I'm now eagerly trying to learn (online) all I can about various aspects of Low-Carb diets. For me though, the only confusion comes from slightly different advice being offered from different diets plans.

Compounded, by not knowing if the advice offered, is meant for people like me in the 'Induction phase,' or intended to be for those in later stages, or not even weight loss related, just 'lifestyle' advice?

I've been most interested in the Dr. Berg Channel on YouTube, which provides a whole range of specific, plainly spoken truths, in 'bite-sized' video lengths, that will prove invaluable to me as my knowledge grows?

As I have to admit to being disappointed with my weight losses during these first three weeks. Losing 5lbs, then 2lbs, then on weighing again today, only 1lb. So that's a miserable total of only 8lbs in the first 3 weeks!?

Which is nowhere near as successful as my first go at the Ketogenic Diet, back in 2011...when, in my first week, I lost an impressive 15lbs! If I'd lost 8lbs over 3 weeks in two/three months from now, I'd be delighted! But with much of the loss to date, probably being attributable to 'water loss,' it's not impressing me! I must be doing something wrong???

This time I'm not buying the 'Natural Ketosis' food packets, I'm buying my ingredients from local supermarkets, in 'designing' my own Keto version, using basic foodstuffs from 'acceptable food' lists.

The good news is though Grav, it does appear I'm losing inches off my belly, so that's helping to keep me motivated currently. I will persevere and I will succeed, I just need to tweak one or two things probably?

However, comments about people not losing as much on new diets, as in previous attempts, does stick in my mind at the moment. Is this what's happening to me I wonder?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 15:17

BF:

Our circumstances are all different. Age can be a factor, gender can be a factor. Some of us have more weight to lose than others. Some of us have T2D or other conditions like hypertension, dyslipidemia, chronic inflammation. There will naturally be some variations in the different plans you will find, as we all naturally vary ourselves. But you should be able to identify the general themes running through them all: get your carb intake as low as you can tolerate, keep protein moderate, eat the right kinds of fat to satiety.

Precisely what you will eat in order to achieve that is ultimately up to you. There may be some things you could eat but simply don't enjoy eating. Or maybe you'll read about something that you can't get so easily in your area. The way I personally started was to comb my local supermarket, checking labels on everything and only grabbing stuff that had no more than 10g of carbs per 100g going by the labels, in addition to certain vegetables that of course don't come with labels at all. Then I had to think about what I could make with the ingredients I'd come home with, just as it sounds like you're doing as well.

There are no shortage of recipe ideas online if you know where to look (Diet Doctor is a good start). YouTube channels like Dr Berg can be a pretty good learning resource as well. Virta Health is a newer channel with some good up-to-date scientific information, and there are plenty of other longer presentations around the place once you're ready to dive a little deeper.

It's good news that you have a supportive doc from the beginning. Not all of us are so lucky, but the reaction of pleasant surprise is fairly consistent down the track. If he's given you a few months, that will probably be enough time to allow for a fresh HbA1c to indicate how much progress you've made in the meantime. So now's definitely the time to get started.

Again, try not to let the relative lack of progress on the scales this time around bother you. There are plenty of other ways you can be tracking progress, and you already mentioned waist circumference as one of them. Various blood markers will be useful to get checked the next time you see your doc, and between now and then you may notice your appetite start to change as well. These are all good indicators. Just gotta be patient.

If you're sticking around, maybe consider starting a journal here, so you can write about your journey as you go?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 09:53

Hello again Grav,

Thanks for your recent reply.

I haven't come back to you earlier, as I've taken up your advice to learn about the various advice on offer, in trying to explore and find reasons behind my uncharacteristically slow weight loss, over the last two weeks in particular. I've taken up much of my free-time doing just that.

Then last Tuesday, I came across a 'blinding flash of brilliance.' I hit upon what I hope to be THE 'rocket fuel' for my 'Ketogenic vehicle,' to enable me to get out of 'second,' to thrust me into 'top Gear!?'

I began reading about OMAD (One Meal A Day) used in conjunction with a Ketogenic Diet and it really got me excited about the chances of maximising my weight losses.

And even though it advises to adopt a gradual introduction into OMAD, I couldn't do that as...'I don't do gradual'...LOL

I ploughed headlong into it, reading and immediately 'seeing' the advantages, not only to my weight loss results, but also with the 'Double Whammy' beneficial effects with my whole body generally.

I was 'sold' on it instantly!

Yesterday, when weighing (on a Monday as usual), Monday 28th May, I found I'd lost 5lbs, when only incorporating OMAD into my 'Keto regime' for 6 days. Meaning since 1st May, I've now lost 13lbs in total! That's much better eh!? Suddenly my motivation has resurfaced with a bang...a big bang as well! LOL

Since then I've been trying to read anything that presents any new OMAD advice, but I think I've got the 'jist of it' already?

I'm currently keeping meticulous records about my Diet, so I can start a journal too, like you Grav. If it helps to motivate others to succeed, then why not eh? However, I won't start it yet, I'd rather see a bit of success achieved first, before nailing my colours to the mast and failing for some reason later on and letting people down.

However, it's true to say I'm currently highly motivated, I feel like I have found a 'top coach' to advise/support me all the way to my 'Gold Medal,' to achieve my '15 Stone' target (or 210lbs).

Talk is cheap they say and they're right. But once I (hopefully) achieve the 210 target, maybe I'll aim to go lower? With OMAD in my team, how can I go wrong? LOL
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 10:05

By the way Grav,

How do I edit and upgrade my forum profile information, I'm referring in particular my current weight.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 10:28

Grav should be having sweet dreams in NZ now so I'll answer.

Go to the second dark green bar, USER CP on far left. Click any part of the profile or signature, etc, change what you want, just remember to hit SAVE down at bottom of page.

Congrats on that loss!. If you want to learn move about OMAD or other versions of IF, good info is hiding in this long standing thread about Dr Fung.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472377