Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 22:43
aznlily68

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Are Nuts Stallers?

I constantly eat nuts: walnuts, pecans, peanuts, almonds, macadamia nuts....you name them. When I'm depressed, i might "cheat" a little or binge on so many nuts. I try SO HARD to not eat nuts in a day but i can't go through a day without eating some. From recent threads, ive seen that they can cause stalls and i think I have a stall right now. I'm trying to go back to an induction level but i just cant stop eating!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 22:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/145/130
BF:
Progress: 53%

I ate so many nuts I actually got sick

I dont gain from them but I stayed the same while gorging on nuts. I got rid of them and lost 5 more lbs in 2 weeks! I have to remove them from my house. If you must have them occasionally go out and buy a single serve pack and eat it.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 22:56

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Yep if you can not leave them alone get rids of them, as the legal portions are small. They do have carbs

I eat them BUT, I measure out just a few, then thats it put the rest out of sight However, if you keep going back................ give the whole works away

And they aer not allowed during induction, but in saying that, with what you have left to lose, you should'nt have to go back to induction, just count your carbs and stick to the plan

Good Luck Kathy
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 23:03

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I think nuts are a YMMV item. I do not gain, but I stay the same. What else I need to watch out for, is even if the nuts are "lightly salted", I really need to be careful of the salt. Nuts are really difficult to control portions on.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 23:03

Stats: 169/154.5/147
BF:26/23.7/21
Progress: 66%

Imagine my shock when I logged 5 (yes 5) shelled peanuts into Fitday and got nailed with a whopping 4 carbs. I've been eating 5 a day since finishing induction because I do believe nuts are good for me.

That said, I'm down to 3 now. YEP, I think they will stall you if you aren't careful. Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 23:12

Stats: 183/140/133 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Smile

My weight stayed the same for 6 weeks even though I seemed to be doing everything right. It wasn't until I went back to eating very basic foods and ditched the nuts and jello, that the scale started to move again.

You may not be in a stall. Your body is probably just adjusting to your new weight. These things take time. I don't think nuts cause trouble for most people when used in moderation. It's just that most of us find it so hard to eat only a few. As you have found out yourself.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 09:54
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Peanuts aren't nuts anyway, they're legumes. Macadamia nuts are becoming my weakness.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 11:25

Plan: protein power
Stats: 133/???/112 Female 164cm
BF:size 10/ 8 /(6/4)
Progress: 0%

i don't think its the nuts themselves as dr atkins uses a diet wholey of macademia nuts in his fat fast. its the number of calories that comes with them. if u don't have an allergy 2 them and keep within ur calorie range i don't c them as a prob. last week i was os busy studying that all i ate 4 5 days was nuts coz they were easy. i lost 3 inches off my waist in 5 days. so i guess u need 2 experiment 2 find out 4 urself.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 11:45

Stats: 153/139/120
BF:
Progress: 42%

Loopy is right....as with most lc foods, it's not the food itself, but the fact that you have a hard time stopping eating them. I know Atkins doesn't want you counting calories, but too many nuts can put you WAY over on calories to the point that you don't lose. It isn't necessarily a stall---it's that you are taking in too many calories to lose weight. We have another thread going here where we were talking about macadamia nuts and how the HELP you to lose better. I have been eating alot of them this week and the pounds are melting off. BUT, I count them and the carbs (1 gram per oz.) and don't go over board. I probably have 3 oz. per day.