Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 12:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/136/140 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 109%
Post Stallers and Ketosis Faq for a semi-newbie

Howdy folks,
First post for me here. A bit of background quick. Started Atkins in March 1ish. Lost very well (maybe even too well) to the end of March/begining of April. In the third week of march I started to slow down and didn't really care for that so I added Atkins Accell in. I was eating the breakfast bars and maybe a low carb snack once in awhile but keep it very strict. I know I was not eating the correct amount of vegetables (less that I should have) but I kept up everything else well. Over the next few weeks I just kept falling out of Ketosis. I was still loosing weight so I was OK with that (since the DANDR says that can happen). I also picked up my workout schedule. Currently I've been on a plateau for around 3 weeks. It's really driving me crazy and I'm wondering what stallers could be in my diet. I feel I only have a few more pounds to loose and I know that those are the hardest to go but I've been out of ketosis for a long time now and gained 1 lb/week back for the last 2 weeks.

Some quick Facts: I work out at least 3x a week for a 450 calorie elyptical workout with about 30 mintues of weights. (Note: I've semi-recently added the weights and understand that muscle weighs more than fat but I don't feel like I'm toning that well)

I drink the correct amount of water each day. I do allow myself an atkins ready made shake once in awhile. When I first found all the low carb food I do admit to binging on it. Especially the cheese crackers. mmhm. Since my worries of not being in ketosis however, I've tried 3-4 day periods of not eating any sugar at all, restricting all alcohol again. I'm currently trying to restrict nuts and cheese again as well. I also switched off of Accell for a week (which didn't do anyhting) and am now trying a stacker (which doesn't seem to affect me at all either)

So, I'm admitting that I may have screwed up by not keeping a journal and figuring out exactly what I eat when and how it affects me (btw, does anyone know what the eating time ratio to significant change of strips are? Like if I was to eat something bad, does it affect ketosis strips right away or like a day later?) but I'm having a real tough time getting back into ketosis no matter what I cut out. If folks could post their known stallers here I'd really appreciate it. Or any other tips.

Thanks Kindly,
Sox
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 13:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/139/128 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Why Can't U Lose Weight?
When I stop losing weight or it slows down.. I increase the fat to card ratio in my diet and also decrease a little of the protein. Here is a quote from Dr. Atkins book which has always helped me

"Since all carbohydrates and some protein convert to energy by way of glucose, eliminating almost everything but fat from the diet forces even the most resistant body into lipolysis"

If that is not the reason, you might wanna check this

http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/26-51503.html

Good Luck.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 13:47
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Have you tried the meat or egg fasts?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 13:53
Registered Member

BF:

I did read the Why can't you loose weight article. The fat/carb ratio could be one of my problems. I know I eat a lot of protein. I have actually been eating more protien and less carbs because I'm trying to get back into ketosis. Is there a good food that I could add to my diet in some quanity to test this theory for a week?

Mucho thanks,
Sox
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 13:55
Registered Member

BF:

I'm assuming the meats and eggs fasts are when you only eat meats or eggs? I have tried that for a up to 3 days without any change in strips. Even thought the strips were lying so I got new ones. No luck.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 13:59
empress of fashion

BF:

Well, you're a better man/woman than I am. I think I lasted one meal. Just couldn't sit and pound down a plate of eggs (or meat!) and feel satisfied.

And I have never used the strips. Just another thing to obsess over, in my opinion.

What is the 'correct' amount of water? Might be more than you think.

Do you use fitday? Perhaps you should post some of your menus for all to preview - there may be something you've missed.

#7   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 14:23
Registered Member

BF:

Haven't used fitday but I've just heard about it and I may go take a look. I've actually noticed that I eat a lot less carbs than I probably should. For 10 lbs yet to loose, I probably shouldn't be in induction, and I was taking a hardcore stance to that from the begining too. I've tried eating three days straight without ANY carbs. I drink at least 3 24oz bottles of water/day. Normally need to force myself to drink the last bit. I don't keep meal plans and that could be my problem but I always do at least a few day pattern to try and get back into ketosis.

My average day is somethign like 2eggs w/bacon for breakfast. I've also tried days w/o breakfast. Days w/just the morning start bars and a few days in a row (keeping everything else close to the same for comparrison) with low-carb bread and peanut butter and 2 eggs.

Chicken (Straight) or steak for lunch. I'll have some type of salad (no carrots, none to very little ranch dressing) w/lunch when I'm not doing the strict meat. In reality I normally only get a salad when I remember or go out to eat. I also will eat steak + veg quite often or go out and get an omlet w/cheese. Pretty much the same lunch cycle each week because there isn't anywhere to eat around here.

Nights range quite a lot from seafood (love seafood), fish, chicken, pork, and steak. Again, small amount of veggies if I have them.

On the days that I'm testing, I only drink water. On the days when I'm pissed off because I just spent three days being good and nothings chagned, I'll "cheat" and have one keto kooler or some non-caffinated, non-aspartame, splenda/sunnett only sweetened 0carb 0cal or a 1 carb atkins shake.

Some days I need a snack and that ends up being an oz or 2 of macadamia nuts for 1-2 carbs or an atkins bar or a few of those just the cheese things which rock.

On weekends, I normaly eat eggs or the atkins pancakes if I wake up in time for breakfast. I use the atkins syrup. Every few weekends I'll go out for coffee and sweaten with splenda (I bring about 10 packets w/me or something and drink 1 packet/cup) I know that's a lot of caffiene but it's fun. I may also have a captain morgan and diet rite cola drink if i'm worn-out.

Sox
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 14:29
empress of fashion

BF:

How many calories do you think you consume? Could be you are not eating ENOUGH! Your body will hold on to everything's its got if it thinks you are trying to starve it.

As for no carbs, I don't think going below 15-20 has any more affect than staying at 15-20. If memory serves, there have been studies done to prove just this. So, why suffer?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 14:57
Registered Member

BF:

I have no idea how many calories. I eat out frequently and there is no real way I can count things besides like generic counts for a steak and chicken or something.

It's easier for me to just say no, then to say, ok to that, no to this, etc.

Maybe I don't have a problem and just think I do? I don't know, i feel really good still. Been a little bit more sleepy than when I first started but compared to before I feel great.

Maybe I should try adding in more fat? I know I cut off most of the fats on the meat that I eat. Know of anything that is like 2 carbs of fat that will make it a good standalone variable?

sox
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 15:00
empress of fashion

BF:

Eat the fat! My gosh - a low fat, low carb, low calorie diet!

Those macadamia nuts have a goodly amount of fat. Cream, cheese, cream cheese (!)....