Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 15:39

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%
Question 10-12x WHICH weight???????

OK...I'm really frustrated on this one. Everywhere I go it's 10-12 times your weight, goal or present, and it seems they can never decide...which one is it?!?!?!?!?

I need some input here....if it's 10-12x my current weight I better belly up to the trough if you'll pardon the phrase. I'm hoping it's 10-12x my goal weight which is basically what I'm eating now.

Please help end the confusion. Thanks!

Nicole
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 19:13
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

If you are eating 10x to 12x your goal weight and you are not feeling hungry and you are losing weight, why would you want to change anything?

I am very suspicious of the 10x to 12x rule, no matter which version it comes in. I have yet to meet anyone on the forum over 250 pounds who is eating 10x to 12x his or her current weight and losing weight. Has anyone else heard of someone eating this much and losing weight?

I also just don't understand how there can be one rule that applies to everyone -- whether it is 10x to 12x your current weight or 10x to 12x your goal weight or any other rule. I am a middle-aged menopausal woman. How could the same rule about calories apply to me and an 18-year-old male? Does that make any sense?

I do what Atkins says to do -- eat when I am hungry, stop eating when I am full, don't be stingy about eating fat, eat at least every six hours, and watch the carbohydrates.

Frankly, I doubt that most of us who are over 200 or 250 pounds are likely to undereat on a regular basis.

Last edited by liz175 : Mon, May-12-03 at 19:14.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 02:14

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up 10 or 12 times what!

Hi Nicole

The 10x to 12 x rule is a guide line of the calories that you should eat and is based on your current weight. However, before you say I'm never going to eat that many calories, read on.

In general the rule is less applicable to those over 250 pounds, because otherwise they will be eating excessive amounts of food a day. It is based on the fact that this is not a low calorie diet and therefore you should make sure you eat enough calories to keep your metabolism happy. Too few and your body will go into starvation mode and weight loss will slow or stop. Go much over 12 times and you will be supplying your body with so much fat that it will meet all your bodies needs and it will have no need to use up your bodies fat resources, so again, no weight loss.

You might be surprised at how many calories your body needs to just keep it going. If you are a member of Fitday look in the activities section. This will show you how many calories your basal level is. You should never eat less than this, because this is the trigger for sending your body into starvation mode. How many you eat above this level is up to you and will depend upon how active a lifestyle you lead.

I am now down to 177 which is still over 80 pounds from my goal. I try to eat around 1800 calories a day to keep me losing weight, which is around 10 times my current weight. As I get slimmer I do need to lower my calorie level to keep the weight loss going.

I hope this helps your confusion. I don't know how many calories you are eating per day, but think you should have a minimum of 2,000 a day at the moment.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 08:28

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%
Default Basal Metabolism makes more sense!

Thanks liz and Little Anne - Eating enough calories for my Basal Metabolism makes much more sense than this 10-12x thingy, as it's based upon the individual. I checked on my Fitday and it said Basal: 2091, 61% so I'll try and stick with the 2100 calories/day for a while and see how that goes! Thanks again for your input!

Nicole