Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 08:33

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Induction forever?

I did read the book! But What I got out of it is you should stay on induction until you are almost at goal.....is this what I read or what I just wanted to read??LOL!
Induction is fine for me. I am always full and never hungry but my sister wants to move up a little and I have told her it wasnt a good idea. I dont want her to fail because she is whining for more carbs! LOL! Please let me know.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 08:37
Sugar Free & Sober!

Plan: Atkins/maintenance
Stats: 186/155/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 67%

A lot of people reccomend moving up the carb ladder for many reasons. The main one is more food choices.
Your sister might fail if she does not move up the ladder and add more carbs in. She will be bored with her choices and give up. That should be her decision. She has to make this a WOL for her.
If you want to stay on induction level carbs, thats your choice.
She should be able to make her own choice.
That's just my opinion.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 08:46
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie0515
I did read the book! But What I got out of it is you should stay on induction until you are almost at goal.....is this what I read or what I just wanted to read??LOL!

This is what you wanted to read

Dr. A states that if you have a large amount of weight to lose you can stay on induction up to 6 months. With that said, you should not be "almost" to goal when you begin OWL. Most people who are new to the program have the mistaken misconception that they will lose faster if they stay at induction level of carbs--not true. For many people, they find that as the climb the carb ladder as written, the weight loss continues and for some picks up. Also, there are many people who have stayed on induction levels thru goal and when they begin to climb the carb ladder, they find that their CCL is close to induction levels and they are unable to get past the first few rungs without gaining weight. Dr. A also states that if after induction, you're feeling the need for more variety, than move up the carb ladder (as written). Some people (including me) find induction limiting (yes, even with all the wonderful choices) and need to move on to OWL--your sister sounds like one of those people.

HTH,

Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 09:09

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Thanks! I just didnt want to be wrong and make her suffer! LOL! Of course it was what I wanted to read! I tend to do that often I guess. I am glad she is going to be able to move up then. I would never keep her here because its where I want to stay. She is doing so well. Thank you both...great advise for her and me!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 13:39
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I think its best not to go off if close to goal, just try different meats such as liver, heart, lamb or various types of fish such as salmon and keep your carbs very low-- you get plenty hidden ones. I think if you're 20 or more pounds from goal its safe to experiment a little.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 15:29

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Dr Atkins tells us in DANDR to make sure we have moved to the third phase, premaintenance when we still have 5-10 pounds of weight to lose and lose those almost imperceptively (very sloooowly) in order to be able to keep them off once we move to maintenance eating.

So in order to be able to conduct the great OWL experiment where you test your body's reactions to adding the different foods you need to move to OWL a fair time before you are at those last few pounds!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 17:04

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Dr Atkins tells us in DANDR to make sure we have moved to the third phase, premaintenance when we still have 5-10 pounds of weight to lose and lose those almost imperceptively (very sloooowly) in order to be able to keep them off once we move to maintenance eating.

So in order to be able to conduct the great OWL experiment where you test your body's reactions to adding the different foods you need to move to OWL a fair time before you are at those last few pounds!!

I totally agree. I see so many posts from those reinducting because they have gained weight because they did not move up the rungs of OWL after losing all their weight on Induction carbs and had no idea how to maintain. Rapid weight loss is not the goal but finding a WOE to sustain for a lifetime.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 20:54

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

So if you have 100 pounds to lose how would you go up the rung? At how many pounds lost should you go to the next stage?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 21:18
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie0515
So if you have 100 pounds to lose how would you go up the rung? At how many pounds lost should you go to the next stage?

It's not really how many pounds you lose to determine if you go to the next rung. It's if you CONTINUE to lose by going to the next rung. For instance--the first rung of the ladder are adding in more servings (at 5-8 gram increments) of more low carb vegetables. If you are able to do that and continue to lose weight than you move on to the next rung which would be a serving or two (i.e. 5-8 grams) of dairy like an extra serving of cheese or a serving of cottage cheese. If you are still losing after adding in more low carb veg and dairy (please do not bash me if dairy is not the second rung--I don't have my book in front of me) then you can go to the next rung which would be a serving of nuts (at 5-8 gram increments). You get the idea. When you are not losing, you should take a look at your servings (to make sure you are not overdoing it). If your servings are in order, you may need to take a look at you calories (as much as we like to believe--even Dr. Atkins states that calories DO COUNT). And last but not least you may need to drop back down a rung to get your weight loss moving again. After you have done this awhile, you will discover things that will stop your weight loss and start up cravings. I personally, will never be able to add back the grain rung and I have to be extra diligent at the fruit rung (fruit whether it's the low carb fruits such as berries or any other fruit, causes horrible cravings--I eat it minimally).

HTH

Lisa