Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-01, 15:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/175/145
BF:
Progress:
Default Liver/Kidneys

My mom and I have been on the Atkins program since February of this year and are very pleased with the results. However, my brother is very concerned about the both of us because he heard that this diet causes either liver or kidney problems (not sure which). He said it works it harder than it should when this diet is done long term. Do you know if this is true or if there are any specific health concerns in doing this diet long term??? THANKS!

:
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-01, 18:36
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Melanie,

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on being happy with your results.

You can search high and low for clinically based studies and find no conclusive proof that this is actually the case. I think that the rumor has finally received the status of urban legend. Someone is always "hearing" that it's bad for the liver or kidneys. I think the rumour was started by General Mills!

Look through the low-carb studies section at the top of the page. It's full of articles, both pro and con and studies (can't find any con studies) on low-carb.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-01, 20:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Melanie, congrats on your success so far

It's a popular myth that lowcarb diets are hard on the kidneys. The myth comes from the fact that eating excessive protein when you have active kidney disease will indeed stress the kidneys further. And most lowcarb programs I've read about recommend ADEQUATE protein, not excessive.

I posted some information on this very subject a few months ago, click here to read it.

Hope this helps to ease your brother's concerns. And continued success to you, keep us posted

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-01, 21:11
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Melanie,

Your brother might really benefit from browsing our Studeis section, including medical research proving the benefits of low-carbing and high-protein.

My favorite argument, which you might offer to your brother, is this: Humans have been eating a low-carb, paleolithic diet for millions of years. Serious health problems started to show up only with agricultural development of grains, and the discovery of sugar refineing.

Wa'il