Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-17, 18:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, IF
Stats: 266/253.4/150 Female 5'1" inches
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Flavored Trisquits

I've gotten addicted to these. I either dip them in sour cream or melt cheese over them. I'm not sure if they are slowing down my loss, but am willing to give them up as I realize they are not Atkins friendly. Does anyone have a suggestion for a chip that is (other than cracklins or such)? I eat those too, but the trisquits are also helping with my regularity (tmi, sorry), too. I need to know if there is something new out there as I tend to eat small snack meals on this diet more than eat full meals.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-17, 19:09

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

One possibility is to melt cheese on cheese in the microwave into cheese crisps. Just make a small pile of shredded cheese on parchment paper, a silicon mat or Corel plate; put it in on high and watch it carefully until you figure out how fast your cheese/plate/microwave combo melts it and browns it. Pull it out and let it sit for 10-20 seconds and it will still sizzle & cook outside the microwave. It'll be chewy when hot but crispy if it spreads out a lot and is allowed to cool completely. How spready depends on the type of cheese and the amount. Watch out, these can be addictive too, but are "legal" if you stay within your Induction cheese limit.

Others like flax crackers: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=459294
but flax gives me hives

Last edited by deirdra : Fri, Sep-22-17 at 19:17.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-17, 23:33
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Whole Grain Wassa crisp breads. Dr. Atkins recommended. Great with chicken liver Pâté.

Shouldn't have told us that -- now I may have to try some Haven't had a Trisquit in maybe 40 years?

I used to dip pork skins in sour cream, delicious, but the calories or something else stalls progress. Perhaps eating too many?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/silk...ken-liver-pate/

http://www.houseandgarden.co.uk/rec...cken-liver-pate

Last edited by mike_d : Fri, Sep-22-17 at 23:52. Reason: Link
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-17, 06:00

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I love Flackers as suggested above.
The crackers made from cheese seem really salty and I'm a salt lover!

I also eat dehydrated vegetable chips- kale, broccoli (trader Joe's), Brad's (which use mix of bell pepper, carrot, seeds.....).
Carbs really vary by brand with kale chips. I recommend rythm and avoid brad's.

To just have something to drink in sour cream based dip or to melt cheese over, you might try using vegetables. I love nachos made with meat, cheese, guac, etc..... But chunks of bell pepper to dip. I love cucumber rounds with cream cheese and smoked salmon, or topped with egg or chicken salad. Baby carrots, grape tomatoes, celery, jicama, etc.... All make routine appearances in my rotation for crunchy things to dip.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-17, 08:55
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

Daikon radishes (a.k.a. lo bok) sliced crosswise into rounds make great crackers for dipping or as a base for paté or tuna/egg salad.

100g -- roughly one cupful of slices -- has only 2.5 net carbs (4.1g total, less 1.6g fiber)

#6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-17, 10:51

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Daikon radishes (a.k.a. lo bok) sliced crosswise into rounds make great crackers for dipping or as a base for paté or tuna/egg salad.

100g -- roughly one cupful of slices -- has only 2.5 net carbs (4.1g total, less 1.6g fiber)

Great idea, and they won't overwhelm the taste of whatever you're eating.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-17, 18:37
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks, everyone! I'll try some of these ideas. The grocery store closest to me (and I have limited mobility and transportation issues) has limited items (no Wasa...nothing fancy nor healthy for the most part), so that limits me. I'd like to try more veggie ideas (cucumbers dont like me) - I'll look closer next time I go in. Question though - aren't Wasa and Trisquits about the same, nutrition wise?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-17, 08:33

BF:

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you aren't supposed to have ANY grains this early on. Check out the sticky at top of this page. It explains how the carb ladder works.

Experiment with whatever veggies do suit you. You might find new ones you like.

You might also consider ordering flaxmeal from amazon, and making your own flackers. There are loads of recipes in the recipe forum.

I know it's a huge adjustment, but people who don't follow the program don't tend to be very successful.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-17, 15:24
Registered Member

BF:

Robin - I realize that. I was just trying to incorporate now and lose slower, but I think it's causing me other problems, so I'll be ditching the Trisquits. I only have a microwave - no kitchen, small desk - so any cooking/prep I need to do, I want to be minimal.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-17, 11:44

BF:

Sending a hug - I know it's hard at first! My favorite lunch growing up and into early adulthood was cheese and whole grain crackers with fruit. You are doing great

Hmmmm.... in a microwave, I suggest the muffin in a minute (MIM) recipes. They have many variations but basically you can make a great bread sub out of Flax and egg (this will help with regularity as well, since you mentioned that). They are delicious!

Last edited by Robin120 : Tue, Sep-26-17 at 10:14.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-17, 18:37
Registered Member

BF:

Small dorm room size fridge, too. Makes for challenges. I discovered I can cook steak in the microwave, only slightly weird tasting to ME.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-17, 18:41
Registered Member

BF:

I got some salad fixings and boiled eggs today. I did well losing on those before. I like to IF with one meal, when I'm sticking closely to plan.