Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-17, 11:16

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 197/190/165 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress:
Smile Delayed Flu?

Hello folks. I've been on LCHF for three weeks now, and after 2 1/2 weeks of loving it, I think I've been hit by a delayed induction flu. Is that possible? Or is it more likely I've slipped up somewhere recently? If anyone has had experience with feeling great at first and then crashing (low energy + headaches all day), I'd love to hear from you.

Havig read the sticky with advice for newbies, I've already decided to up my water and salt, and to start tracking things. Is it possible my carbs have been higher that I thought and that's the issue?

Many thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-17, 12:06

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

if the water and salt don't help, it's also possible that you picked up a bug somewhere, i've had a few friends coming down with summer colds/flu's. salty broth should help that too.

usually you wouldn't get induction flu if your carbs are too high. maybe if you had some higher carb days and then went back to vlc you could trigger an induction flu.

also magnesium can help. there are a few threads on here about the magnesium
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-17, 18:47
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I was one who had the 'induction flu' regularly throughout that first year. My weight loss pattern was to go weeks with no results on the scale. Then I would have a big whoosh and lose several pounds within a day or two. I lost fat the whole time, but I regained water. When the whoosh came it felt like induction all over again. It does not happen these way for many, but I've seen a few others report similar issues. That pattern faded away as my losses slowed down and my whooshes got smaller. It was nice to see results on the scale in those early days, but it did come at a price. I quickly learned to have salt at my desk at work. A little salt helped me feel better fast.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-04-17, 02:36

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 197/190/165 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress:

Thanks so much everyone!! I'll let you know how it goes!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-04-17, 12:31
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I find green olives are a good snack and provide needed salt. I often drink some of the brine as well. Pickle juice is also recommended. In Asia I think the average is ~10 grams of salt (not sodium) per day.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-05-17, 10:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I crashed the same as you about a month into Atkins, or that was when I really felt it. I did a lot of reading up and learned about how we pee out our electrolytes on low carb and have to replenish them along with plenty of water. So I upped my water intake, started taking a magnesium citrate supplement (I needed that), and started using lo-salt (potassium/sodium mix). I also eat pickles, green olives, and sauerkraut as a snack or side dish. I feel a thousand percent better. Drinking a cup of salty broth, pickle juice or brine as others have suggested is good, too.