Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-01, 05:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Oct. - Let's Talk About Vegetables

During October let's make a great collection of our favourite recipes using "Vegetables".

Remember some cooks aren't as experienced as others so instructions are important as well as nutritional breakdown, i.e. carb count, fibre.

Recipes that are your original creation will be posted in the "Members (Readers) Low Carb Recipe Section.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-01, 05:12

BF:
Progress:
Default recipes

Well, if you don't want to talk about Vegetables this month, what would be your choice?? I can't believe lowcarbers don't eat lots of vegetables lots of ways. Your recipes don't have to be extravagant, simple ideas are often really appreciated by busy cooks.

I'm working on a couple new things, but I haven't got them quite perfected...but hoped I would before the end of the month.

Let me know if you'd rather do a different topic as the month is still so very new.

Last edited by Sharon : Wed, Oct-03-01 at 05:17.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-01, 12:02
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think the lack of recipes indicates that we need vegetable recipes!

I'm going to cheat and post a recent recipe from my section that is perfect for the chilliy season.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-01, 12:02
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Daik-tato Cakes

Daik-tato Cakes

These are pretty tasty on their own or with a dab of sour cream or mayonnaise. They are also good cold.

Daikon contains a lot of water and 1 1/2 pounds only makes 6 cakes. Because of it’s water content, it is important to get the grated daikon as dry as you can or the cakes will fall apart when you fry them.

Daik-tato Cakes
Makes 6 cakes

1 1/2 lbs. daikon radish
1 tsp. sea salt
1 egg
5 Tbsp. finely ground pork rinds
2 Tbsp. finely minced green onion
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. olive or vegetable oil

Peel, and grate the daikon into a bowl. Combine with the salt and let sit for 1/2 hour.

Squeeze the water out of the daikon with your hands. The more water you squeeze, the better the cakes will be. Mix the daikon with the egg, pork rinds, green onion and sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Let sit for 10 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350° F. Heat a heavy frying pan – a cast iron pan is ideal - that can go into the oven over medium-low heat. Swirl the oil around the pan. Fill a 1/4-cup dry measuring cup with some of the mixture, packing it slightly. Turn out into the frying pan. You should have a nicely shaped cake that stands a bit more than an inch high. Continue with the remaining mixture. Fry the cakes on one side without disturbing them too much until browned on the bottom, 5-6 minutes. Very carefully turn the cakes over and fry for 2-3 minutes longer. Place the whole pan in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.

Total Calories: 378
Fat: 22 grams = 200 cals = 58%
Carbs: 30 grams = 74 cals =22%
Fiber: 11 grams = 0 cals =0%
Protein: 17 grams = 69 cals =20%

Total Carbs per Cake: 6
Carbs – Fiber: 3.16
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-01, 15:14

BF:
Progress:
Default Exactly

I agree with you Karen. Thanks for getting the ball rolling.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-01, 17:56
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile Eggplant

Well, I had to sit down and turn this into an official recipe, with amounts and nutrient counts etc. I normally just throw this together .. yes, I weigh the veggies, so I know the carb count du jour, but it usually varies from batch to batch. So, here goes nothin' ..
  • Roasted Eggplant, Red Peppers & Olives

1 medium eggplant, about 1 lb/ 500g, peeled & cubed
    1 medium red bell pepper, cut into chunks
    1 small onion (or ½ cup) sliced
    1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
    1 cup Greek olives (kalamata)
    1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
    ½ tsp oregano
    2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
    salt & pepper to taste
    ½ cup x.virgin olive oil
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • place vegetable chunks and olives in a large bowl.
  • sprinkle herbs, salt & pepper, balsamic vinegar and olive oil over all, and toss to combine. spread vegetables in a greased, shallow baking pan.
  • 400°F for 35 to 40 minutes, stir halfway through.
  • serve with freshly grated romano or parmesan cheese if desired.
  • makes 6 servings
per recipe - calories: 1310
Fat: 128g
Carbs: 44g / Fiber: 16g / 28g ECC
Protein: 10g

per serving - calories: 218
Fat: 21.3g
Carbs: 7.3g / Fiber: 2.7g / 4.6g ECC
Protein: 1.7g

Enjoy!

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-01, 17:58

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

looks yummy doreen!
sharon, i haven't posted any because i just don't seem to have the time to put recipes thru fitday. my computer time is quite limited these days! sorry!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-01, 20:06

BF:
Progress:
Default no prob

Hey Debbie....I'm the one who should be feeling guilty. I have a couple of new ideas I've been working on...and I just haven't gotten them totally together.

Hey, good things take time to happen!!

Like Doreen says, often we just put things together and we have no real recipe, so when we want to sit down and give qualities and nutritional values to others, that's more work than making the dish.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-01, 00:54

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Veg soup !!

I am too lazy to work out exact numbers and methods but I'll tell you what I did the other day when I came home after a long day feeling very tired and VERY COLD - was a very blustery day.

Didn't feel like meat or chicken and fish seemed to be too much trouble.

A peek in the fridge revealed bits of veg and stock from chicken. I cook the chicken these days, separate the stock and keep.

So into a saucepan went a bowl of chicken stock, cut up some cabbage and in it went; about half of an eggplant and an inch of zuchinni. Had some fresh cilantro so chopped that up, a little bit of salt, pepper, pinch of garam masala.

It was ready in minutes and I could settle down with a piping hot snack to soothe away the day's stresses. Filled me up completely.
Take care.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-01, 12:59
Forum Founder

BF:

Good hot or cold.

Spinach "Pancake"
Serves 2-4

4 Tbsp.unsalted butter
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 lb. spinach, washed and stemmed
3 eggs
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
sour cream for serving, if desired

Melt 3 Tbsp. of the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the green onions and parsley and cook until the onion wilts. Add the spinach and cook, stirring until it wilts. Turn the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. The spinach will become quite soft and smooth.

Beat the eggs and stir in the spinach mixture. Season to taste. Melt the remaining butter in a 10-inch, preferably nonstick frying pan over medium high heat. Spread out the spinach mixture in the pan. Cover, turn the heat to medium low and cook for 10 minutes until set. Serve with sour cream if you like.

For the whole recipe, not including sour cream:

Total Calories: 708
Fat: 61 grams
Protein: 29 grams
Carbs: 20 grams
Fiber: 12 grams
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-01, 01:13
Forum Founder

BF:

Zucchini, Sour Cream and Jack Cheese Bake
Serves 4

4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb. zucchini, trimmed and sliced 1/8-inch thick
1/2 cup grated Jack cheese – hot pepper is good!
1 egg
1/2 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp. dry white wine
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil or I tsp. dried

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter an 8 by 8-inch baking dish.

Melt 1 Tbsp. of the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent. Scrape into a bowl. Melt the remaining butter over medium high heat in the same frying pan. Add the zucchini and cook, stirring frequently until the moisture has evaporated and the zucchini is tender. Transfer to a food processor and pulse until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse to combine. Add the onions and pulse once. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes until lightly golden.

For the whole dish:

Total Calories: 1008
Fat: 93 grams
Protein: 27 grams
Carbs: 16 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-01, 06:22
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I invented these dips during the Group Study project, as a way to get more high-fiber green veggies in. ... Both are terrific with pork rinds, and for dipping chunks of cold roast meat.

Broccoli Dip

100g broccoli (approx 1 cup chopped)
1 large green onion
4 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp ground cumin
dash salt

- Steam the broccoli -- rinse under cold water, and drain well. Finely chop along with the onion in food processor or blender. Add mayo, dijon, herbs ... then purée to desired smoothness. Chill at least an hour for flavours to blend.

calories: 437
Fat: 45g
Carbs: 9.5g / Fiber: 4g / 5.5g ECC
Protein: 5g

Brussels Sprout Dip

100g brussels sprouts (approx. 6 med-size sprouts)
4 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp finely grated lemon peel
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp dried basil
salt & pepper to taste

- Steam the sprouts, rinse under cold water and drain well. Process sprouts until finely chopped. Add remaining ingredients and purée. Chill for an hour to let flavours develop.

calories: 436
Fat: 44g
Carbs: 10g / Fiber: 4g / 6g ECC
Protein: 4g

Enjoy!

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-01, 20:25

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 265/244/145 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default I am SO clueless about cooking

what is Daikon radish. I didn't even see any raddishes at the grocery store I went to, only radish greens.

are green onions labeled as green onions. i tried to look for these throughout the summer for a spinach recipe my aunt gave me, but all I saw was white, yellow and red.

okay, that's just for starters. since this is the vegetable thread, i will confess- I eat romain lettuce, the occational spinach, and the occasional broccoli with cheese. That's it! my salads consist of lettuce and cheese. nothing else. of course, I am allergic to most vegetables no gourds or legumes for me, no celery, no carrots. but i DO need to branch out a bit. I shall vow to try some nice, simple vegetable recipes at some point, that is, if I can find the ingredients.

Jeanette
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-01, 20:52
Forum Founder

BF:

Green onions are sometimes called scallions. Daikon radishes are available at oriental supermarkets. What about mushrooms? Romaine, boston or Bibb lettuce? Cauliflower, Swiss chard, kale and collard greens?

Where do you live? There may be some people in your area that could suggest stores you can shop at.

Karen
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 17:59

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 265/244/145 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Thanks Karen.

I live in a large city, so I can find almost anything, if I just know where to look. Will go to the large store where I found flaxmeal awhile back.

Will try some cauliflower. Must get dressing too, as I don't particulary like the taste. (i miss my green beans )

I have never heard of boston or Bibb lettuce, Swiss chard, kale and collard greens. How embarassing.

Jenanette