Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-09-17, 15:21
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/265/195 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Cutting Out Sugar and Sweets

Hello, all.

While I am not currently on Atkins diet (plan to start in July), I am wondering how you deal with not being able to eat sweets.

I like sweets, from pastries to candy to chocolate. I am wondering if I will be able to cut them out of my life. I believe I can. But one never knows.

I drink 4-5 cans of diet mtn dew a day. I have already cut it back to 2-3 cans while drinking about a gallon a day of water. So I think by the time July gets here I'll only be drinking water (or unsweetened tea).

Can you post some advise? Any advise will help.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-09-17, 16:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/211/160 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 65%

I just eat cheese when I crave something high in carbohydrates, while I would say I probably eat too much cheese, it hasn't effected my weight loss at all. Also the cravings lessen tremendously if you don't eat any junk for a month or two. Theres something they put in it, whether its fast food, or ice cream that is addicting, so once you wean off of it..usually cold turkey it eventually goes away and you regain control of your cravings.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-09-17, 16:18

Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOL
I like sweets, from pastries to candy to chocolate. I am wondering if I will be able to cut them out of my life. I believe I can. But one never knows.

I think most of us do, and if not it's the savoury, chips, bread, rice,potatoes, it's what's gotten us here right?
Smart of you to choose a start date, and be completely prepared for your healthier lifestyle. Read this forum, start a journal, and enjoy the journey to a new and healthier you!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-10-17, 03:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome,
You will read a lot here about "real foods" only and (from some, inc me ) of avoiding all artificial sweeteners. But some doctors, like Eric Westman who has run a Duke obesity and diabetes clinic for many years based on Atkins clinic, do allow artificial sweeteners, especially as you transition to LC. He focuses only on the carb level...if you want to eat bunless McDonald burgers and Diet Mountain Dew and SF Jello (limited to 3) he's OK with that to start. Similar to Atkins, http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482 just count the carbs
http://www.kostdoktorn.se/wp-conten...starch_diet.pdf

So using Artificial Sweetners (AS) is one option. Others find going cold-turkey on sweets easier. Certainly cutting down slowly on all soda drinks before starting is a great plan. There is a lot of information on DietDoctor about Sugar Addiction, https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb. but that source supports the no AS at all rule. Many threads here and studies going back and forth on whether AS help or hinder weight loss. Test both and see what works for you. All the best,
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-10-17, 04:25

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
...I am wondering how you deal with not being able to eat sweets.

As dumb as my answer sounds it is true for me. Stop eating them, then start observing the causes that create a thought to arise about a desire to eat sweets. While the thought is in your mind, watching but don't entertain it. Watch it pass. You, if you're like me, will notice at first that the thought has passed suddenly as you have another thought in your mind that has taken it's place.

So the don't eat sweets is as easy as not acting or entertaining thoughts. Thoughts seem to come and go without much control. They are not you, just thoughts. Sometimes it might be helpful to think of wholesome thoughts as a distraction, like a baby laughing or something. Smile
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-10-17, 07:37

Stats: 217/192/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 44%

I found the cravings never really happened for me, I of course had a few withdrawals. The best part of low carb for me, is no cravings 😁 I, like most here am a carb junkie. I never thought I would ever be able to give up all the carbs before I started Atkins. I was even making little deals with myself over what I would allow myself when I was having the worst cravings. What a way to prepare hey? Just goes to show how hard that first decision to give up on carbs really was for me.
But wow, when I plunged in to this, what a surprise to find out how amazing I felt in such a short amount of time now. I miss nothing about my carb laden way of life. Good luck and don't worry...you won't miss any of it..why wait, start now. You won't regret feeling better.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-10-17, 07:45

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Hello, all.

While I am not currently on Atkins diet (plan to start in July), I am wondering how you deal with not being able to eat sweets.

I drink 4-5 cans of diet mtn dew a day. I have already cut it back to 2-3 cans while drinking about a gallon a day of water. So I think by the time July gets here I'll only be drinking water (or unsweetened tea).

Can you post some advise? Any advise will help.

Thanks.

No advice re sweets, as I am not on atkins, others here will have great advice for you. But I can advise re the diet soda. My husband transitioned from a heck of a lot of jolt cola to diet, to flavored but unsweetened seltzer (no sucralose, truly unsweetened). Flavors like raspberry, mandarin orange, blackberry citrus, lemon/lime etc. It does not trigger me either (I am very sensitive to anything that even tastes sweet), though I stick to citrus for 99% of the time.
It seems the bubbles help, and well chilled, he finds it very refreshing. He has been off soda for years now.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-10-17, 09:25
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/265/195 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Thanks for the comments everyone. They really help. My thoughts have been to cut all sweets including artificial sweeteners. It sounds like that is the way to go. Thanks for the input.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-10-17, 10:22
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
As dumb as my answer sounds it is true for me. Stop eating them, then start observing the causes that create a thought to arise about a desire to eat sweets. While the thought is in your mind, watching but don't entertain it. Watch it pass. You, if you're like me, will notice at first that the thought has passed suddenly as you have another thought in your mind that has taken it's place.

So the don't eat sweets is as easy as not acting or entertaining thoughts. Thoughts seem to come and go without much control. They are not you, just thoughts. Sometimes it might be helpful to think of wholesome thoughts as a distraction, like a baby laughing or something. Smile
Great advice and a sound chunk of philosophy. Thanks, Thud.

Look. I've been using Atkins to control my weight since 1972. Guess that makes me a veteran. Although my own daughter thinks AS are poison, I've been using since I drank my first Tab (google it). I'm quite healthy, so maybe they're only poison for some people. Thing is: every BODY is different.

Lack of control gets us in trouble sometimes, especially with food, as for some it is the only source of pleasure. For me, I had to acknowledge that I was a recreational eater, totally in it for pleasure and to pass the time. I stopped.

I also gave up grazing. IF (intermittent fasting) helped me gain control of when/if I ate. I've given up lots of foods I used to eat, but I've gained good health and that was my ultimate goal.

Good luck.