Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-13, 00:30

Plan: ketogenic neandrathin
Stats: 254/212/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default egg yolks

I just read on a thread that included info from Cordain, that egg whites can cause problems w/autoimmune concerns but that egg yolks are fine. This puts an end to my breakfasts of omelets and frittatas. Anyone have some suggestions for using egg yolks? I'll try scrambling them w/some water and see what happens. Terry
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-13, 05:19

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

You could still make omelettes and frittatas using just egg yolks. Maybe add cream too.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-13, 08:23

Plan: LC, HF, PP
Stats: 214/188.2/140 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

When I make an omelet or fritatta, I use a couple of whole eggs, then add the same amount of egg yolks. A little white helps with the texture, but you get all of the yummy goodness and nutrients in the egg yolks.
~Chris

PS. Remember YMMV - it's hard not to believe what we read but you could end up starving as there is someone to say that each and every food on earth is "bad for you" in some way or another. Seriously, I have two friends who are so obsessed with current food research that they are afraid to eat...anything...except maybe lettuce grown in their back yards...
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-13, 08:56

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower51
I just read on a thread that included info from Cordain, that egg whites can cause problems w/autoimmune concerns but that egg yolks are fine.
Do you have an autoimmune problem?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-13, 21:34

BF:

I have rosacea and also was diagnosed w/cll
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-13, 21:38

BF:

LOL good point LilyB. This explains why I did Fuhrman for 8 plus months and ended up in worse health than before. Since getting back to paleo, my belly isn't so swollen and either is the rest of me. So eating what many consider the healthiest way of GOMBS (greens, onions, mushrooms, beans and berries and seeds and nuts) along w/wholegrains didn't do it for me.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-13, 21:55

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I have trouble accepting that the egg, AKA The Perfect Food, causes auto-immune problems. Generally, if you stick to whole unprocessed foods you will do better than if you eat food that has been dissected into its component parts, that is to say, processed. It's really hard to improve on Mother Nature.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-13, 22:41

Plan: ZULCA!
Stats: 353/279.2/175 Female 64 in.
BF: For now...
Progress: 41%

I have a mild allergy to whites, but love and eat the yolks.

I do whatever I would have done with eggs (omelet, scrambled, quiche, breakfast shake during warm weather, etc.) but with just the yolks.

#9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-13, 21:24

Plan: mine
Stats: 260/165/165 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Terry,

Actually both the egg and the white can cause a problem if you are allergic to the proteins that are in eggs. However of those people who are allergic, it’s normally the proteins that are contained in the whites that they're allergic to.

Now reactions that are produced by an allergy to the proteins in egg whites is something that you would notice quite quickly. Now if you haven't had a reaction like that then it’s high like you're not allergic to egg whites. That said there are a load of things that you can do in order to minimize the possibility of an allergic reaction.

Part of the problem that many people have is due to the fact that the eggs they're consuming are factory-produced. The problem there is that factory-produced eggs come from chickens who are fed a whole host of antibiotics, growth hormones and other drugs that unfortunately are carried through into the egg itself. These can then trigger a reaction in people who are susceptible who would otherwise be quite okay if it weren't for the additives in the eggs.

So that does point to the fact that eating pre-range, biologically sound eggs with no additives, genetically modified corn or anything like that, is obviously the way to go. That said, if it's not possible for you to get hold of those or your sensitivity to egg while protein is such that you just want to stay away from it, well you wouldn't be surprised that people like yourself have formed various associations and clubs around the world and had come up with lots of either egg-free or partially egg-free recipes and dishes.

One of the websites you can visit is egglesscooking.com . They've got loads of recipes and lots of tips and hints about how to live an egg free life. There's also a bit of background information on egg allergies and what you can do about it.

As a passing thought, we can thank egg allergies for something, and that would be bird’s custard powder that was first cooked by Alfred Bird back in 1837 simply because his wife was allergic to eggs.

Hope that helps,

Mark
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-13, 23:04

BF:

Thanks for the replies esp your indepth response Mark. I had eggs for the first time last night. I reacted quickly (tmi) and have felt not quite right in the tummy since. So I'm going to try just plain egg yolks next time...give myself some time to feel better from this last yummy scrambled egg dish first. Terry
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-13, 15:40

Plan: atkins maintenance
Stats: 185/133.6/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Another option is to buy eggs from local farmers. I want my own chickens! Someday....