Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-16, 23:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/222/190 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress:
Default Help

Hi I'm Connie, just started Atkins 2 1/2 weeks ago. Staying within 20 net carbs. Barely losing any weight. What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-16, 23:32

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi Connie - way to go on starting Atkins. Are you on Induction?
I find reading the Atkin books helps, and also starting a journal in the journal thread on this site a really good way for you to post your daily food intake so you can review what you're eating and others will offer really supportive advice and encouragement.
Without seeing what you're eating, it's hard to pinpoint where things might be adjusted. Whether you're eating enough, drinking enough water, eating salt and good fats, that sorta thing. Hang in there and you've come to the right place. Loads of experienced low-carbers here who want to see you succeed.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-16, 05:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Connie,
We would be happy to help but as Greek mentioned, would need to know more. Which Atkins book are you following? Are your "net" Carbs from real food vegetables or Atkins bars? Etc. Look around the Newbie Advice and Threads, or the Atkins sub-forum and you will read advice to others who had problems starting.
All the best,
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-16, 11:54

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

What they said: net carbs from processed foods are notorious for being WAY underestimated. And the way our bodies process them can vary a lot from the claims of the companies that make them.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-16, 13:46

Plan: LCHF, no breakfast.
Stats: 256/178/140 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%

But even if you are doing everything by the book, not everyone loses in a predictable way. I had to keep going for weeks before I started losing. But don't be disheartened, try to think about it as a lifestyle change - if you 'know' you'll be doing this for years, then the results from a couple of weeks might not seem so pivotal?
But post up what you eat and these knowledgable people will keep you straight
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 14:00

BF:
Progress:

Thanks to everyone who replied. I will start loading my food to the journal. That will be a great help to make sure I am following the program. I am using the new Atkins made easy. Using induction program.
Sorry I did not give enough information about myself, but I think I just was in a hurry to get help.

I am a 68 year old single women 5'2", 222 lbs. Go to the gym 2-3 times a week, do weight and cardio. I grew up thinking I was fat at 135. After a lot of counseling, I came to the realization that my eating starting as rebelling against my parents and then became a source of comfort and numbing feelings. Now it is an addiction to carbs and a habit and i am a binger. This is the first time in years that I have stuck to any food plan for more than a couple of days. I have tried every plan, pill or shot there has ever been. I have not had any sugar in two and half weeks and really want to stick with this program. Thanks for all your input.

Connie
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 18:55

Connie, contrary to what we seem to see, there are a lot of people who don't lose 15 lbs in the first week on LCHF. But it's OK. Really, it's OK.

So long as you are ridding your body of the inflammatory carbs it's used to processing for its energy, you will lose. None of us loses at the rate that we wish we could. Sooner or later, everyone slows down. Some start slow, and speed up.

I'm not familiar with your program. The Atkins I know are the ones from 1972 and 1992.

The two biggest things that can slow you down are too many carbs (outside of just sugar) and too few calories, at least at first.

EVENTUALLY, you may need to cut calories, but not yet.

So, if you have cut out sugar that is wonderful. The next step would be cutting out grains, as well. And, as you are about my age (I'm 65) I'll bet that you have arthritis, which will really improve, when you lose the grains.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 23:45

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Mickisue,

I have posted what I ate yesterday. If you have a chance can you tell me what you think. Thanks
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 05:30

The newest book version Atkins Made Easy has two meal plan choices...one loaded with their products, the other only using real foods. Just. Eat. Real. Food.

There are three Atkins products in your foods yesterday. First thing to do is ditch them. Reasons: http://www.dietdoctor.com/?s=Atkins+cookies

The only "net" Carbs should be from fiber in your green vegetables. Especially at our age, you are likely carb intolerant and it may be even easier to count total carbs. Suggest you follow the Atkins Induction plan right at the top of the board, http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482
and continue to look around here for plans that will suit your lifestyle. The DietDoctor website is a great place to start...lots of free tips, membership (free first month) has loads of other helpful advice.

All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Mar-08-16 at 05:35.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 08:51

I just looked, as well, and agree with Janet.

Lose the Atkins products.In fact, lose "products." If you think "corporate doublespeak" instead of "Dr Atkins" when you are reading the newest book, you'll know why you are struggling. The Atkins corporation wants you to buy their products, which are full of junk, and contain a lot of things made to make you want MORE of them.

Again, I agree with Janet, in that restarting, using the REAL Atkins induction, will give you not only better weight loss results, but also better health.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 09:23

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks

Thanks,

I will look at that plan. I work doing taxes and sometimes it is just easier to have froze meal. I will try to cut back.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 09:40

Ouch..worse time of the year to have to develop new eating paterns.
There is a great recipe forum here...possibly a simple crock-pot to start in the morning or rotisserie chicken with frozen veggies or salad for the meal. Here is a thread, Meals for Busy professional, that may have ideas for you: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=442080

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Mar-08-16 at 10:13.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 10:01

Crock pots. Eggs: scrambled, fried, hard boiled, deviled.

Make bacon a pound at a time, so it's ready when you are.

Save the grease in the freezer for cooking the above mentioned scrambled and fried eggs.

Cheese sticks. WAY better snack than bars.

Unfortunately, cutting back on Atkins products is hard. I know. I've tried. I'm not kidding when I tell you that they contain ingredients to make you want MORE.

That's what "food" manufacturers do: they test their products to see which ones, with which ingredients, lead to "Please, Sir, may I have some more?"
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 11:05
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Hi Connie,

Throwing my voice into the chorus here to encourage you to get copies of Atkins '72, Atkins New Diet Revolution, and Stillman's Quick Weight Loss Diet. You can find all three of these essentially for the (inflated) cost of shipping on Amazon. Keep them next to your bed and read for a few minutes before you fall asleep.

I don't recommend following Stillman--that plan is `meat, not milk' [groan], but it's a good start--it's a quick eye-opener about just how simple (not necessarily easy) a low-carb approach can be. Then start cranking your way through the Atkins books.

We all find that we have to tweak it to fit our own bodies--but that's exactly what Robert Atkins describes in his books. Anyone who says to you, "the Atkins Diet is so unhealthy" has probably not read his writing, where he says things like "If you're not exercising, you're not doing Atkins," and "Make this diet your own." His philosophy on impatience in dropping weight is worth the read as well--"Think of this as a rest-of-your-life way of eating, not a temporary diet. You'll get there; concentrate on enjoying the journey." (paraphrase) He describes a method for telling whether you're going to be a rabbit or a tortoise, and some useful thoughts for each to consider.

The chapters are short--just try to get through one a day and think about them as you fall asleep. Look for other ways to gauge your progress besides the scale: take measurements, watch the fit of your jeans, pay attention to your energy level.

Find ways to make this easy on yourself. I understand the busy thing, trust me. I just bought three roast chickens from the big box store, which was actually cheaper than buying and cooking them myself. Along with eggs and cheese, my protein is covered for the week.

Cultivate patience and commitment.

A parallel. You work helping people with taxes. You can see the difference between people who make consistent positive choices with their finances, and the ones who come in with their records stuffed into oatmeal cartons who haven't filed for the last three years and want an immediate fix. That latter category describes many of us--we've followed habits that created problems, and now we want the problems fixed and we want it NOW. We don't especially want to hear that it's a commitment to changing the way we live and the way we think, and that it's going to take time, any more than those clients want to hear, "Increase your deductions," and "Put money into savings for next year's taxes."

I encourage you to take that long view. Tell yourself that by the time filing closes for 2016 taxes, you'll be at your goal weight, active, liking the way your clothes fit.

Another comparison would be the students who consistently make school a priority and do their homework and commit time to studying, attend classes, take notes, ask the prof for help, compared to the ones who skip classes, read the Cliff Notes, and do all-nighters before the mid-terms and finals. We need to learn to be the slow, steady, committed ones who understand that this is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix. Much as we all would prefer the quick fix, thank you.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 15:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen24

Cultivate patience and commitment.

The quote of the month, Kathleen!