Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 06:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/143/200 Male 6 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Sorry, but I can't find it in this thread:
How much OoO do you take? You dilute is 1:3 in olive oil and then? 1 Tbsp every hour or something?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 07:47

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunkany
OK, I checked out another website seeling NOW oregano oil, well it had a totally different usage description. They recommend it both internally and externally, the same exact thing that another retailer said not for external use. Oh well. Thanks.
Also is the recommendation to dilute 1:4 correct, with what oil? Olive or coconut OK? It's already in olive oil, right?

I think this is the oil that is not mixed with anything.

NOW's Oil of Oregano ESSENTIAL Oil ..http://www.herbalremedies.com/oilofor1oz.html
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 09:57

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Default Help On Determining Brand...type...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNikki
I think this is the oil that is not mixed with anything.

NOW's Oil of Oregano ESSENTIAL Oil ..http://www.herbalremedies.com/oilofor1oz.html

Hey Zul...this now brand that they carry says 100% pure but it doesn't say how many mgs... How do we know??? And what is the difference between organic oil and essential oil.... I noticed the organic oil is much much more expensive than the essential oil... I'm thinking the organic is PURE...although the essential says 100% pure... I'm not getting what the difference is...because what I am using isn't working on the yeast and I obviously need something stronger... I am taking what I have, which is mixed with olive oil, 3X a day and nothing... Still getting outbreaks on my skin...

I think this brand is supposed to be pretty pure...http://www.maximmune.com/oregamax.php#oregamax The OREGACYN PRODUCTS SEEMS PRETTY POTENT!!! CHECK OUT SOME OF THE STUDIES... When I did a search on THIS particular product there seemed to be several vendors...

Oregacyn by North American
In a recent article from the London Times it was stated, ever since penicillin was discovered, medical science has been involved in a race against constantly mutating bacteria. Inevitably, the quest for ever-stronger drugs to fight infection is one that can have no end, prompting some experts to look again at ancient, but effective, ways of tackling ill health. One of these could be the use of the wild oregano plant. Around 3000 B.C., the Babylonians described wild oregano as a cure for lung and heart disease, and it is used for healing wounds and venomous bites. With benefits like these, North American Herb and Spice proudly presents Oregacyn? P73, the first ever tested and researched respiratory health supplement from the leaders in oregano-based products. The fungal fighting properties of wild oil of oregano (the main ingredient in Oregacyn P73) are supported by research conducted at the Georgetown University Medical Center and led by Harry G. Preuss, M.D. The study, which was published in the journal Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, tested the efficacy of oregano oil against the fungal infection Candida albicans (better known as a yeast infection) in mice. The study concluded that oil of oregano can act as a potent antifungal agent against Candida albicans. With anti-fungal abilities like these it is easy to see why Business Week magazine said, Oregano could turn into the next wonder drug.

100% Natural
Researched
Tested P73
Oregacyn is the only researched, tested wild oregano and spice extract for boosting immunity and supporting respiratory health. Research shows that spice extracts kill germs including bacteria, molds, yeasts, and fungi. Oregacyn is completely edible and is made from natural spices and herbs, including the proprietary P73 wild oregano blend.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Amount per Serving
Propietary Wild High Mountain Oregano Herb Blend (P73) 450 mg*
Wild Mountainous Sage
Cumin (High mountain blend)
* Daily Value not established

Directions: For immune support take one capsule with or without meals twice daily. Take more if needed. Ingredients: Natural Flavors, Beef Gelatin (BSE Free)

FOUND A LITTLE INFO HERE ON THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ESSENTIALS AND ORGANIChttp://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/trea...agranceoils.pdf

BETTER INFO HERE http://www.aromatherapywebsite.com/...ial_oils_vs.htm

Last edited by skeeweeaka : Sun, Apr-09-06 at 10:37.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 13:28
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
Hey Zul...this now brand that they carry says 100% pure but it doesn't say how many mgs... How do we know??? And what is the difference between organic oil and essential oil.... I noticed the organic oil is much much more expensive than the essential oil... I'm thinking the organic is PURE...although the essential says 100% pure... I'm not getting what the difference is...because what I am using isn't working on the yeast and I obviously need something stronger... I am taking what I have, which is mixed with olive oil, 3X a day and nothing... Still getting outbreaks on my skin...

I think this brand is supposed to be pretty pure...http://www.maximmune.com/oregamax.php#oregamax The OREGACYN PRODUCTS SEEMS PRETTY POTENT!!! CHECK OUT SOME OF THE STUDIES... When I did a search on THIS particular product there seemed to be several vendors...

Oregacyn by North American
In a recent article from the London Times it was stated, ever since penicillin was discovered, medical science has been involved in a race against constantly mutating bacteria. Inevitably, the quest for ever-stronger drugs to fight infection is one that can have no end, prompting some experts to look again at ancient, but effective, ways of tackling ill health. One of these could be the use of the wild oregano plant. Around 3000 B.C., the Babylonians described wild oregano as a cure for lung and heart disease, and it is used for healing wounds and venomous bites. With benefits like these, North American Herb and Spice proudly presents Oregacyn? P73, the first ever tested and researched respiratory health supplement from the leaders in oregano-based products. The fungal fighting properties of wild oil of oregano (the main ingredient in Oregacyn P73) are supported by research conducted at the Georgetown University Medical Center and led by Harry G. Preuss, M.D. The study, which was published in the journal Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, tested the efficacy of oregano oil against the fungal infection Candida albicans (better known as a yeast infection) in mice. The study concluded that oil of oregano can act as a potent antifungal agent against Candida albicans. With anti-fungal abilities like these it is easy to see why Business Week magazine said, Oregano could turn into the next wonder drug.

100% Natural
Researched
Tested P73
Oregacyn is the only researched, tested wild oregano and spice extract for boosting immunity and supporting respiratory health. Research shows that spice extracts kill germs including bacteria, molds, yeasts, and fungi. Oregacyn is completely edible and is made from natural spices and herbs, including the proprietary P73 wild oregano blend.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Amount per Serving
Propietary Wild High Mountain Oregano Herb Blend (P73) 450 mg*
Wild Mountainous Sage
Cumin (High mountain blend)
* Daily Value not established

Directions: For immune support take one capsule with or without meals twice daily. Take more if needed. Ingredients: Natural Flavors, Beef Gelatin (BSE Free)

FOUND A LITTLE INFO HERE ON THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ESSENTIALS AND ORGANIChttp://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/trea...agranceoils.pdf

BETTER INFO HERE http://www.aromatherapywebsite.com/...ial_oils_vs.htm
That is the NOW brand product that I use. There is no use in paying more money. The now brand is 55%. That's strong. Just mix the drops with a little oil and take it.

Do not purchase the other, it is not a pure oil but contains in addition a herb blend that is useless.
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 13:29
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakumo
Sorry, but I can't find it in this thread:
How much OoO do you take? You dilute is 1:3 in olive oil and then? 1 Tbsp every hour or something?
Yes, if you are doing the vitamin C and oregano oil flush.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 15:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
That is the NOW brand product that I use. There is no use in paying more money. The now brand is 55%. That's strong. Just mix the drops with a little oil and take it.

Do not purchase the other, it is not a pure oil but contains in addition a herb blend that is useless.

Zuleikaa, I'm sorry but I'm confused. Is it this product you use ...http://www.herbalremedies.com/oilofor1oz.html or did I get lost between all the links?
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 06:56

Sorry about all the links but I think some of us are very confused at what is in these oils...and what are the differences...particularly those of us who are trying to kill the yeast in our bodies... SORRY BUT THIS IS FRUSTRATING... But one of the links that I provided said the ratio in Oregacyn was 155 mg. of wild oregano.... My bottle of the oil that I was using says 4000 mg. of oregano oil...but it isn't helping and is mixed with olive oil...so I'm confused as to the potency and what these numbers actually mean.... The articles that I posted basically talk about the marketing differences between companies and reading between the lines. That American Herb and Spice brand is supposed to be much more potent and pure...and the oregano pills, I think someone said, were better for getting down into the intestine...???

That link you provided Zul to herbalremedies does not say anything other than 55% carnivol...and it's very inexpensive compared to the others so it is a good buy...but they also have the TINCTURE on the NOW site which is more expensive...so still confused...it says 181 mg. of wild oregano...in it...

I guess I'll go ahead and order the NOW brAnd and see if I notice a difference...the pills though... THANKS!

Last edited by skeeweeaka : Mon, Apr-10-06 at 07:08.
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 08:32
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
Sorry about all the links but I think some of us are very confused at what is in these oils...and what are the differences...particularly those of us who are trying to kill the yeast in our bodies... SORRY BUT THIS IS FRUSTRATING... But one of the links that I provided said the ratio in Oregacyn was 155 mg. of wild oregano.... My bottle of the oil that I was using says 4000 mg. of oregano oil...but it isn't helping and is mixed with olive oil...so I'm confused as to the potency and what these numbers actually mean.... The articles that I posted basically talk about the marketing differences between companies and reading between the lines. That American Herb and Spice brand is supposed to be much more potent and pure...and the oregano pills, I think someone said, were better for getting down into the intestine...???

That link you provided Zul to herbalremedies does not say anything other than 55% carnivol...and it's very inexpensive compared to the others so it is a good buy...but they also have the TINCTURE on the NOW site which is more expensive...so still confused...it says 181 mg. of wild oregano...in it...

I guess I'll go ahead and order the NOW brAnd and see if I notice a difference...the pills though... THANKS!

Oregano oil is produced from dried oregano. It takes over 100 (1000?) pounds of herb to produce 1 ounce of essential oil. That's why it's expensive. It's also why buying the dried herb is useless for medical purposes.

Tincture is the herb dissolved in alcohol. That's also useless for our purposes.

You need the oil.

Carnivol is the active ingredient in oregano oil that contains the OOO attributes. The higher that number, the stronger more highly concentrated the oil. NOW contains 55% per drop, North American, a much more expensive brand, contains 64% per drop. I'd go with the NOW brand.

Often the mg dosage is misleading. In most cases the mg dosage is used as a measurement not as a medical dose. With a mixed OOO oil the ratio 4:1, 10:1 tells you how much oil is added to the essential oil to make the mixture. The smaller the number the stronger the mixture.

I recommend purchasing the NOW essential oil and mixing it yourself. It's strong and reasonably priced.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 14:14

Thanks Zul...I'm gonna try that one...
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 04:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/143/200 Male 6 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Is it true that OoO can be toxic to the liver? If so, in what dosages? I only ask because since I started taking it, I've developed what I believe to be liver problems: Liver pain, nausea, loss of appetite, darkened urine.

However, I was also taking sporanox, so it could have been that...
My live always hurts now and then now. I'm kind of used to it. It's the loss of appetite and nausea (mild, but there) that bothers me more.
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 06:06
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakumo
Is it true that OoO can be toxic to the liver? If so, in what dosages? I only ask because since I started taking it, I've developed what I believe to be liver problems: Liver pain, nausea, loss of appetite, darkened urine.

However, I was also taking sporanox, so it could have been that...
My live always hurts now and then now. I'm kind of used to it. It's the loss of appetite and nausea (mild, but there) that bothers me more.
Oregano is not toxic to the liver but is, in fact, used to treat liver disorders.

In addition to being an antifungal, OOO is antibiotic, antiseptic, antibacterial, antitoxin, antiparasitic, antioxidant, anti-inflamatory, and antiviral. It heals tissues and repairs circulation.

Therefore you should be aware that OOO works on the body on many levels and you will have different reactions based upon what OOO finds in your body that needs to be treated.

While, I'm not sure of the cause of the liver pain, the other symptoms are signs the OOO is working.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:09

BF:

A friend of mine is having issues with Candida so, I told her about the NOW OOO.

She went out mistakenly bought the Now OOO with olive oil and not the Essential Oil.

She has been having a very hard time digesting her dosage even after drinking 3 full glasses of lemon water. And she tried adding extra Olive Oil and still cannot digest it.

Everyday she eats a big full salad for lunch with self made low fat Italian dressing and another smaller salad with dinner.

Can she add her OOO dosage to the salad dressing and still get the full benefits of the OOO? Or will the dressing dilute the OOO to much?

And the dropper says...0.5 , 1.0 ...how much should she add and is the two dosages in the salad dressing enough to combat her Candida?

BTW: she watches what she eats but is not a low carber.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:29
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
A friend of mine is having issues with Candida so, I told her about the NOW OOO.

She went out mistakenly bought the Now OOO with olive oil and not the Essential Oil.

She has been having a very hard time digesting her dosage even after drinking 3 full glasses of lemon water. And she tried adding extra Olive Oil and still cannot digest it.

Everyday she eats a big full salad for lunch with self made low fat Italian dressing and another smaller salad with dinner.

Can she add her OOO dosage to the salad dressing and still get the full benefits of the OOO? Or will the dressing dilute the OOO to much?

And the dropper says...0.5 , 1.0 ...how much should she add and is the two dosages in the salad dressing enough to combat her Candida?

BTW: she watches what she eats but is not a low carber.
When you say she can't digest it, what do you mean. Does she gag? Does she have burps after? Does it burn her throat? Does it get her heartburn?

I need to know the specifics of how she's taking it and what her exact problem is with it before I can offer advice.

If she is just feeling lousy, nauseous, headachy, diarrhetic, that's die off symptoms and there's nothing that can be done.
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
When you say she can't digest it, what do you mean. Does she gag? Does she have burps after? Does it burn her throat? Does it get her heartburn?

I need to know the specifics of how she's taking it and what her exact problem is with it before I can offer advice.

If she is just feeling lousy, nauseous, headachy, diarrhetic, that's die off symptoms and there's nothing that can be done.

Oops, sorry by digest I mean burps, heartburn and reflux. She feels it never gets down her sysytem. She has felt slight burning in her mouth.

The die off symptoms - she is aware off and it's the digesting that bothers her.

She has been taking 1.0 dosage 3Xday.

I know this was asked before but if she dilutes the OOO with Oilive Oil with a little more Olive Oil - is that OK?
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 11:39
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Oops, sorry by digest I mean burps, heartburn and reflux. She feels it never gets down her sysytem. She has felt slight burning in her mouth.

The die off symptoms - she is aware off and it's the digesting that bothers her.

She has been taking 1.0 dosage 3Xday.

I know this was asked before but if she dilutes the OOO with Oilive Oil with a little more Olive Oil - is that OK?
Burps are ok, a little heartburn is ok. Reflux is not ok. Burning in the mouth is normal.

She can use a little more olive oil. She can also put the drops in a little water and drink that first then chase it with more water.