Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-05-16, 20:02

Plan: Blood Sugar Solution
Stats: 278/215/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Unhappy One Thing Led To Another

This morning my department at the office brought in breakfast to celebrate a birthday. This is something we do often and I can usually find foods to eat that are OP. I brought a LC breakfast casserole, there were deviled eggs, turkey/cream cheese roll-ups, a veggie tray and a fruit tray. I normally do 16/8 IF daily, skipping breakfast and waiting until lunch to eat. When I decided to do IF daily, I knew there would be days that would be an exception and I knew this morning this would be one of them. But, I planned to stay OP all day.

I made my plate this morning and went into myfitnesspal to log my breakfast. I avoided the cake, the biscuits and gravy, and even the "fat free/sugar free" jello salad made with fat free cool whip (talk about frankenfood). Then I went back for a second plate and decided it was too much work to keep logging in the little bites. As I've done other times we've had a breakfast like this, I decided I just wouldn't log my food today, but I would be mindful of what I ate. By the time we got to lunch, I wasn't very hungry and decided I would just have a little fruit (mistake #1). I had some apple slices, some strawberries and some grapes. This afternoon I decided the grapes (which I have mostly avoided while on my current plan) would be good with some cheese slices I had in the office refrigerator (mistake #2).

It only went downhill from there. I was digging in my desk drawer and found a baggie of "goodies" that had been a gift a few weeks ago. My office is a really tough place to maintain a healthy diet! I immediately gave away the most tempting of the goodies (the mini Snickers, Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, etc). But I kept some chocolate "coins" wrapped in gold foil and a small bag of Skittles. I kept them for when co-workers brought their kids in the office after school or a co-worker brought by a child or grandchild to "show off". We like to give the kids "treats". I haven't had chocolate in months and I knew this was likely very low quality chocolate. I just wanted to try ONE. I carefully and quietly unwrapped a piece and put it in my mouth. Although it was low quality, it was still CHOCOLATE! One led to another, and another, until they were all gone (probably 5 or 6). I promised myself that was the end of the "binge". After work I went by Golden Chick to pick up fried chicken for DH and DS. I do this about once a week or so and never eat any. As I picked it up, I remembered the new "creamery shakes" at Sonic that I had wanted to try. Since my weight loss challenge at the office was over, and I was no longer recording what I ate today, I decided today was the day to try one. I drove up into the stall, reviewed the flavors and decided on the dulce de leche. I ordered a mini. I was just going to try a sip or two and throw out the rest. While there I remember DQ had a new blizzard (I think they call it "royal") that I was curious about. They have the blizzard in a mini, so I decided to try that as well (just a bite or two). I ordered the oreo. I was disappointed in the first few bites. Tasted just like a regular oreo blizzard. I stirred it up and scooped from the bottom and was rewarded with fudge! I ended up finishing both the blizzard and the shake by the time I got home!

I was miserable! It was too much ice cream that was too sweet and too rich! I just wanted something savory and salty to get the sweet out of my mouth. I should have just brushed my teeth! But what did I do? I was outside with my dog for a while and when I came back in the house, I could smell the chicken! I ate a thigh and a drumstick. Skin, batter, and all!!! I felt miserable. I laid down on my bed and took a nap. When I got up, I vowed to get right back on plan! I decided on a slice of cheddar with a piece of bacon, just to get the right taste back in my mouth (at least that's what I told myself). I followed that with several slices of summer sausage and then a slice of cheddar and a slice of pepper jack. I think I'm done for the night now.

I've forgiven myself, dusted myself off and made up my mind that I'm right back on plan tomorrow. Nothing to eat until lunch and OP after that. I'll log everything in myfitnesspal. Even though I don't want to "count calories", I find that logging what I eat keeps me from overeating.

So there's my confession. Tomorrow if another day!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-05-16, 20:36

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 275/265/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Gail, thank you for sharing I can identify with every emotion you described. Please get back on track tomorrow.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-06-16, 05:32

BF:

I gained less than a lb from the pig-out, so I'm happy! Back on track today!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-06-16, 06:47

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Gail - One way I have learned to stay away from all the high carb stuff is to literally think of it as poison. I wouln't ingest arsenic no matter how tasty it was prepared. I put these high carb foods in the same category. I remember Blizzards. I remember liking them but now I can't even picture swallowing even a spoonful. Glad you're back on track.

Jean
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-06-16, 08:25
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, first things first. Learn from the experience the lessons there are to learn. If you walk away saying, "I must try harder. I must be stronger," then you didn't really learn anything.

What you now know is you've got a tendency to binge eat. Giving yourself permission for the fruit, especially grapes which are almost pure sugar water, kicked off a cascade.

So, next time don't start on the fruit. Few people binge-eat deviled eggs.

Also, purge your environment of things like those chocolate coins. If you decide you really want some chocolate go buy some 85% chocolate and eat a square. It is nearly impossible to binge on chocolate like that, and yet you get a huge chocolate flavor.

Try to turn experiences into lessons that lead to modifying your environment of developing tactics to deal with things like this.

For me, I know the first potato chip will lead to hundreds more. So as long as I don't have the first one, I'll be fine.

They've now also planted candy jars at the front entrance to the office. I know that if I have one that the power of those candy jars will increase 1000%.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-06-16, 08:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Such good advice you have gotten.

By thinking of carby junk as poison, it helps me to avoid having it in my environment, like Jean. I mean, why would I want to feed poison to an innocent little kid, right?

And OH! the eating one deal. There is a reason that Lay's had the "bet you can't eat just one" campaign. Because most of us can't!

Back in the saddle, and remember that gaining one lb is not a tragedy, but thinking that eating like that, even once in a great while, is.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-06-16, 18:35

BF:

Yes, I know now how dangerous those grapes are! I normally think of off-limits foods as poison and that helps me say "thank but no thanks" or "I can't have that". I really think the grapes were just too much sugar and turned on the cravings.

Thanks for the support and advice. Y'all are the best!!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-12-16, 16:58

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I've never been a binger, but I do fall victim to "creeping." Just a bite here, a bite there -- and that can be just as destructive as binging. In fact, if you binge, you know what you've done and you can maybe fast or go back to induction to deal with it. When you creep, you can deny or justify what you've done (and wonder why you've started to stall). I'm trying to be extra vigilant this time, knowing my own bad habits.