Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone


Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-16, 16:41
Jakz1269's Avatar
Jakz1269 Jakz1269 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 210
 
Plan: LCHF and OMAD
Stats: 298.4/187.6/145 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 72%
Location: Alberta, Canada
Default Made a Bad Choice

Tonight I slow cooked my family BBQ ribs for dinner. I have been a little down on myself because i have gained 1.6 lbs over the passed two days, yet I know I haven't eaten off program because I write everything down. So the gain is making me sad.

So when I was serving the ribs, full carb BBQ sauce cause that is what the family asked for, I thought screw it and took a plate for myself...

After eating two ribs, I thought to myself, "What the hell are you doing?" This is crazy. So I stopped myself, gave the rest of the ribs to my sons and made myself some eggs and bacon.

So I am not sure whether to be mad at myself for eating the two ribs or proud that I stopped at the beginning of the carbage feast before it got out of hand.

And how do I log the counts for 2 ribs?

Just a bad day!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-16, 17:00
Kristine's Avatar
Kristine Kristine is offline
Forum Moderator
Posts: 17,967
 
Plan: Primal
Stats: 165/149/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Default

Leslie, next time, look up a sugar-free sauce recipe, or try some dry-rub ribs. If I'm doing them in sauce, I do them based on this recipe, though I don't even measure ingredients, I just throw it together. If I do a dry rub, I just use cajun seasoning and put them on balls of aluminum foil so that they aren't sitting on the broth that forms at the bottom. Either way, they come out fantastic! You almost can't go wrong with slow cooker ribs. You can always put some sugary sauce on the family's ribs and reheat them if that's what they insist on.
Reply With Quote
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-16, 19:42
thud123's Avatar
thud123 thud123 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 4,009
 
Plan: ~25NC/IF
Stats: 342.2/197.3/000 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default

Sounds like a good day to me. You made dinner for your family. This is can be an under appreciated task even if you enjoy it. You have a lucky family. You have eaten on plan the last two days and wrote everything down. That's not so easy to do and you're developing good habits. You recognized that you were eating something that you have decided you didn't want to eat today and put it down. Sounds like solid thinking and decision in a crisis situation, and that is also not easy to do. You made some food (eggs and bacon) that you and yourself have agreed you're gonna try for a while to see if it helps you regain your health. That takes time and commitment and having proper foods on hand which required some prior planning. Nice!

If I was you, and I'm not, I would let both anger at myself and pride in myself go after I experienced them for a bit and re-decided if you want to continue with your new plan. You are not required to do so unless it's something you want to continue to pursue. If you do, you've probably made another good decision.

I've lost count of how many ways this has been a good day for you. Perhaps you can find some more. Some people say "Learn from you mistakes so you don't do them again" I'm coming to the belief now as I'm getting older and greyer and dumber that it's easier form me to learn from my successes and try to reproduce things that created the necessary conditions for them to occur.

And how many carbs? how about count it as "20" - if that's right or wrong it doesn't really matter. I said it's twenty so, it's twenty unless someone that's not you can prove otherwise

You will do well! Mistakes are fertilizer for tomorrows yet blossoming decisions.

PS> Do what Kristine says!

Last edited by thud123 : Thu, Feb-18-16 at 19:48. Reason: PS do what Kristine says.
Reply With Quote
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-16, 20:21
MickiSue MickiSue is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 8,006
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Default

I'd say: you made an emotional decision, and then allowed your rational brain to override it. Now what do you say about it?

Because, really, what I or anyone else says doesn't matter. How you feel about you, both your decision making and your right to be healthy, even in the face of pressure to make/eat carby foods, is what really matters.

I used to make a wonderful pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. This year, I made low carb. I contemplated making both. But I decided that, darn it, the family was getting enough carby junk, and I didn't have the time to make two separate recipes.

My MIL whined, several times, about how much she liked the old pie. Well, so did I. But I can no longer eat it. My DIL learned recently that she's gluten intolerant. My brother, newly DX'ed with T2D, was coming for dessert.

So, if she wants carby pie, she's gonna have to make it, if she's eating at my house.

IOW: if your family wants food that you know is sucky, not just for you, but for them, it's OK, in fact, I'd argue that it's virtuous, to tell them NO.
Reply With Quote
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-16, 20:29
Meme#1's Avatar
Meme#1 Meme#1 is offline
Posts: 7,580
 
Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/183/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 54%
Location: Texas
Default

Pork ribs are one of my most favorite low-carb meats. It's 100% meat.
Just serve the sauce on the side at the table.
Reply With Quote
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-16, 09:24
Jakz1269's Avatar
Jakz1269 Jakz1269 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 210
 
Plan: LCHF and OMAD
Stats: 298.4/187.6/145 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 72%
Location: Alberta, Canada
Default

Thanks for the advice everyone. Next time I am going to slow cook them a put the BBQ on the side! That is great advice.

I would normally just force the family eat what I am making but being a foster mom, I must follow the Canadian Food Pyramid, basically the same as the US version. So I have to provide at least the minimum servings of grains and breads depending on the age of my kids. Even though I am not really a believer of this anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-16, 09:29
Jakz1269's Avatar
Jakz1269 Jakz1269 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 210
 
Plan: LCHF and OMAD
Stats: 298.4/187.6/145 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 72%
Location: Alberta, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Sounds like a good day to me. You made dinner for your family. This is can be an under appreciated task even if you enjoy it. You have a lucky family. You have eaten on plan the last two days and wrote everything down. That's not so easy to do and you're developing good habits. You recognized that you were eating something that you have decided you didn't want to eat today and put it down. Sounds like solid thinking and decision in a crisis situation, and that is also not easy to do. You made some food (eggs and bacon) that you and yourself have agreed you're gonna try for a while to see if it helps you regain your health. That takes time and commitment and having proper foods on hand which required some prior planning. Nice!

If I was you, and I'm not, I would let both anger at myself and pride in myself go after I experienced them for a bit and re-decided if you want to continue with your new plan. You are not required to do so unless it's something you want to continue to pursue. If you do, you've probably made another good decision.

I've lost count of how many ways this has been a good day for you. Perhaps you can find some more. Some people say "Learn from you mistakes so you don't do them again" I'm coming to the belief now as I'm getting older and greyer and dumber that it's easier form me to learn from my successes and try to reproduce things that created the necessary conditions for them to occur.

And how many carbs? how about count it as "20" - if that's right or wrong it doesn't really matter. I said it's twenty so, it's twenty unless someone that's not you can prove otherwise

You will do well! Mistakes are fertilizer for tomorrows yet blossoming decisions.

PS> Do what Kristine says!


Dear Thud,

I took your advice and let yesterday go. What's done, is done. Can't change it. I can only move on and learn from my mistakes. And I agree, yesterday was actually a good day, my hubby, bio kids and foster kids raved about the yummy supper. It is very unusual for the six kids to agree on anything food related. So yesterday was a win!

Thanks for the pep talk, much appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-16, 09:33
Jakz1269's Avatar
Jakz1269 Jakz1269 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 210
 
Plan: LCHF and OMAD
Stats: 298.4/187.6/145 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 72%
Location: Alberta, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Leslie, next time, look up a sugar-free sauce recipe, or try some dry-rub ribs. If I'm doing them in sauce, I do them based on this recipe, though I don't even measure ingredients, I just throw it together. If I do a dry rub, I just use cajun seasoning and put them on balls of aluminum foil so that they aren't sitting on the broth that forms at the bottom. Either way, they come out fantastic! You almost can't go wrong with slow cooker ribs. You can always put some sugary sauce on the family's ribs and reheat them if that's what they insist on.


I am definitely going to try that recipe next time I make ribs and hopefully the family agrees, and if not then more for me for the next couple of days right.

Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-16, 10:23
thud123's Avatar
thud123 thud123 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 4,009
 
Plan: ~25NC/IF
Stats: 342.2/197.3/000 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakz1269
Dear Thud,

I took your advice and let yesterday go. What's done, is done. Can't change it. I can only move on and learn from my mistakes. And I agree, yesterday was actually a good day, my hubby, bio kids and foster kids raved about the yummy supper. It is very unusual for the six kids to agree on anything food related. So yesterday was a win!

Thanks for the pep talk, much appreciated.

What they probably tasted that was so good in your food was love.

Have a great day!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 19:29.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.