Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 14:13
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 177/173/160
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Saturated fat

It seems to me that since I decided to let go of the low-fat idea, the addition of fat to my diet has been comprised largely of animal fats like butter, cheese, cream and sour cream. I'd like to shift the balance more toward unsaturated fats, but I find them harder to add in than good ol' butter and cheese.

I was glad to see that mayo is lower in saturated fat than I expected, and I do eat nuts. But I'm finding it a little difficult to cut down on cheese and butter and still fill up. I do make all my breads with olive oil, but that doesn't add up to much when I don't eat so much bread any more. I also saute in it sometimes, but I'm so used to butter on everything from oatmeal to veggies. Maybe I could get used to veggies in olive oil instead. (Probably not the oatmeal, though!)

Maybe the first question is, "How much saturated fat is too much?"

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 14:16
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Fat with the absence of carbs doesn't make you fat. You burn it.

See this thread .

I try to eat better fats mostly but do a lot of butter and salad dressings. My BP and cholesterol is great so I believe the hype and I have never felt healthier.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 14:49
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Beth:

The answer to that question depends on which SP program you are doing. Are you doing SPI or SPII? If SPII, which program?

Or is your questioned based on the concept of balancing your intake of fat between saturated, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats?

Wanda
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 16:18
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 177/173/160
BF:
Progress: 24%

LisaK - Thanks. I'm not concerned about saturated fat "making me fat," or about total fat consumption. I'm looking at all-around good health, and am inclined to think, from reading a variety of sources, that a diet high in saturated fat may still be something to be a little cautious about.

Wanda - I've only read SPI, so far, so that, together with what I read here and elsewhere, is basically what I'm working with. I suppose my concerns arise primarily from comments that suggest that Dr. S. did a little backpedaling about saturated fat in book II, and the suggestion that too much saturated fat can stall weight loss. I'm sure I've come across other things here and there that, while agreeing with the body's need for healthy fats, still warn against too much saturated fat. It is hard to know, to a degree, just how to think about it, because there's just no way I'm going to start counting grams of three types of fats and trying to balance those meticulously on top of everything else.

What I really want to do is develop some general principles of healthy eating that I can follow without an overabundance of scrutinizing and tabulating. Where fats are concerned, I'm just looking for ways to include more unsaturated fats because I so naturally gravitate toward saturated ones.

I think I'm going to try mixing up some "better butter," a blend of butter and olive oil, by way of compromise.

Beth
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 19:18
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Beth:

I'm not sure if this will appeal to you, but Dr. Wilson, in his book Adrenal Fatigue, mentions mixing flax seed oil and sunflower or safflower oil in a 1:1 ratio and then adding a little soy sauce. He uses this concoction in place of butter and adds it (uncooked, of course) to food just before eating it.

Good luck,
Wanda