Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 14:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182.6/162/133 Female 61 inches
BF:What fat??
Progress: 42%
Default Am I pathetic, or am I pathetic???

How annoying. Was 10 minutes off my 1 whole day of quitting when I walked outside and saw my son had left 1/2 a cigarette in the ashtray. Yep, you guessed it, I smoked the rotton thing! Soo angry with myself. Have now poured a cup on water in the ashtray & he can butt out in that! Not his fault tho, was my choice.
Here's hoping for a better day today....Maybe, no, I WILL go 24 hrs today.
Cheers
Pam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 11:51

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

Been there, done it. Next time, take the water to the ashtray RIGHT AWAY! Then the temptation is gone(sort of). Also, when I see butts on the floor, in ashtrays etc...I think to myself, "Am I so addicted that I am willing to scrape the floor or an ashtray for a dirty ,used disgusting butt just to feed my addiction?" I don't ever want to be so pathetic again!!!!!
Start again now Pam
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 15:36

Thanks Shar, I needed that. Gosh, this is soo hard. Am OK during the day, it's right after breakfast that really gets me going. Think I could survive if I could just have a ciggie afterwards. OMG, I hate this. I have all the will power in the world (ie, been on Atkins nearly 5 months & not one bite of illegal food has passed my lips), so why am I soo weak with the dreaded cigarettes? Going on an overseas holiday with DH (who does NOT know I took up smoking again) and we are going to be together 24/7. HAVE TO stop now. Don't want to ruin our "once-in-a-lifetime" trip because of the fags!! Might just go and have a good cry!
Cheers
Pam
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 15:57
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

Hi Pam,

Best advise I can give you is take it one hour at a time if you have to. I have been smoke free now for 7 weeks. The only way I did it was an hour at a time. If I was really craving....I'd have a bottle of water and tell myself that if I was still craving as bad in an hour, I'd have one. Then I'd get busy and forget all about it. It was the idle times and right after dinner that I thought about it most. Have learned to keep my hands busy and busy hands meen busy brain.....too busy to think about cigs. I won't lie and say it was easy.....but I can say that after the initial few days of withdrawl.....it was the habit of having it my hands that caused me grief....so I started carrying a coffee stir stick around with me....it would go back and forth from my hand to my mouth. Nope, not attractive....lol....but it sure helped in the first week.

Wishing you much success!

Jo
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 13:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 133.5/128/123 Female 64
BF:27%
Progress: 52%
Default good laugh

I once threw a pk. of smokes in the toilet.Good all wet.Right!!!
Nope after awhile went back got them out and dried them one by one on the top of the toaster and smoked them..Oh yeah..The life of an addict.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 23:31

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

...I remeber going through my garbage cans in the backyard to retrieve 1/2 smoked butts. Yep , loved those dumpster dives! How icky!!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 01:07

Well, been over 3 days now. OMG, I miss smoking!! Going back to bed for another cry - LOL. No, serious, am hanging in there. Thanks for the support you all.
Cheers
Pam
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 22:04

Stats: 225/205/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Way to go!!! The first 3 days are the biggest b*tch. I was ready to scream at anyone who so much as said something about smoking in my presence. But I have been about 5 weeks smoke free and I will never be a smoker again.
Again, congrats!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 16:44

Stats: 224/224/170 Male 5' 8"
BF:40.6 / 40.6/ ???
Progress: 0%

Well done Pam

I think you are doing really well. time to treat yourself to some flowers or some treat with all the money you saved.

I'm on 4 weeks now saved £10 per day X 28 = £280 ($440)
I treated myself to some new scales and some atkins books.

KEEP IT UP: ivabelly
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 14:40
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 240/186/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default You can do it!

Hi there! You are doing great on kickin the habit, whether it's one day or one year... ! One thing that helped me: My grandmother wanted to to quit smoking so she bought me a big ole bag of bubble gum (she passed away in October, I miss her so much )... I chewed so much my jaw hurt... but then I drank lots of water because the bubble game made the water taste good... good way to loose weight. I stopped after a couple of days... I quit for 2 weeks but then was having a breast reduction and getting married 2 weeks after my reduction and it was so much stress I started again. I know when I went on my low carb diet and I had to stop drinking cokes, that was WAY worse than not smoking! Just remember, you can do it! Do it for your family that will miss you SO much if you die of lung cancer....do it for you!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 15:18
Registered Member

Stats: 201/170/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Way to go Pam! Hang in there..it is so worth it.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 16:17

Ok, here's me progress report:

Got to just over 2 weeks without a ciggie, then I gave into temptation and had 1. I wish I could say I did not enjoy it, but OMG, it was great! Went straight back on the wagon (do I sound like an alcholic?) and lasted about 4 days and strayed again (1 cig). Been about 3 days now, so am doing good.
Can't flog myself for 2 cigs in 21 days (can I?)
Ok, catch you all later.
Cheers
Pam
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 07:24

Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

{{{{{{{{{{Pam}}}}}}}}}} I know how you feel. I went back to smoking after just over 2 yrs. of being quit. I recently tried a couple of times and didn't make it. I figure as long as I keep trying, all is not lost.

Right now I've put my quit on hold until after the holidays when hubby has said he'll try with me. Between the weight loss and just starting a workout program, I think I was just trying to do too much at once. It'll all come in time. In the meantime, I'm trying to cut down a bit by waiting until I REALLY want one before lighting up.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 14:57

Hi June. Just wanted to say I stopped by your site and had a look at all the pics - WOW!! you're an inspiration. What a fantastic achievement! Good going.
Still hanging in there with the smokes. Pain in the butt. Wish there was a way smoking was healthy - LOL (I think not).
Catchya later
Cheers
Pam
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 16:42

Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

I'm with you on that one Pam!! If they ever come out with healthy cigarettes, I'll be the first one in line.