Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 23:44
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%
Default Should I wait to quit????

I really want to quit smoking. I have to say though reading through the posts in this forum is scary....you know....the weight gain....stalls that last months......metabolism that won't kick start itself for months & months. Like all of us, I know the damage that smoking is doing to my body.....I just don't know if I should try to quit now or when I am closer to my goal weight.

Suggestions?

Living in fear of regaining.....

Jo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 00:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141/128/121
BF:
Progress: 65%

It's a tough call Jo. you may well put a bit of weight on, or stall for a bit. but how would you feel if you got to goal, quit smoking, and THEN gained???

personally, if I ever made it to goal, I would be so happy that I would not want to risk losing it. even for the good health benefits of quitting. sad, but true.....

so, with this in mind, I quit when I was at about the halfway mark. and yes I did put some pounds back on. but it soon stopped, then I was stalled for a bit, and now I seem to be moving slowly downwards again.

and I feel great! no smelly breath, clothes or hair. nice clean fingers, and no guilt! (like most smokers, I felt guilty every time I lit up).

best of luck with it, whatever you decide to do........

Shannon
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 14:51
Vorsicht! heiß

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%

Hiya Jo,

I quit smoking 5 month ago..just a few month after I started Low Carbing. Yes I did slow down with weight loss from 6 pounds a month to 1 pound a month.....but......

This link..given to me from another low carber t the time because I was just wondering the same thing you are and this Website made me stop smoking the same day and I did not regret it.

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Noni.html

Most people gain 30 pounds and I lost 6 pounds since I quit smoking and I gained this:

I am a non-smoker for: 5 Months 1 Week 3 Days 3 Hours 17 Minutes 5 Seconds
Cigarettes not smoked: 2094
Money saved: C$759.36
Life saved: 2 Wks 13 Hrs 7 Mins 47 Secs

I smoked for 27 years and quit once 18 years ago for 2 years. I gained 60 pounds at the time and started smoking again. This time I found it easier to quit because on low carb you can eat food...so whenever I had a craving I had a big glass of water and some protein.

I wish you much luck..you can do it. It feels great not to be hooked anymore.

Mischa

edit: Jo, here you can read how I felt in my journal

Last edited by mischa : Wed, May-28-03 at 15:10.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 18:12
Recovering Yo-Yo

Thanks so much Mischa. I'm going to take a look at the link you provided. I figure I am trying to get healthy by losing weight....smoking should go hand in hand with that. And...I hate that I spend so much money on such a filthy habit.

Congratulations to you for quitting....you inspire me.

Will check back with you once I've read the post.

Thanks so much!

Jo
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 21:05

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 282/273/150
BF:"alot"
Progress: 7%

Hey there, I saw your before and after pix on another post and happened by here and saw this post. I quit smoking almost 4 years ago. I gained some weight (guess so since I'm here), but honestly I already needed to lose weight. I don't regret quitting and gaining for a minute. Quitting smoking was the best thing I ever did for myself. I know you'll get advice and support from lots of folks. For what it's worth, I used both the patch and took Welbutrin (Zyban). I really recommend the Zyban if you are able to take it. I had a few slips while quitting, and the difference between other quits and this one was that with the Zyban I had a couple of smokes and miracle of miracles didn't have to go buy a pack the very next day. That may not sound like much, but to someone trying to quit it was a godsend. It's like slipping on your diet, and knowing it's not the end of the world that you can get back on track the next day. Also, it was just a coupla slips, not a total relapse. Anyway, good luck. That website was bonechilling and I hope all of us with smoking issues take it to heart...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 21:53
Recovering Yo-Yo

Mischa.....wow. That's all I can really say. Of course I am referring to the link you provided. Really made me stop and think. Can't thank you enough for sharing it with me.

Dietch...thanks for the words of encouragement. I know I'm not alone in the "dieting" world...sometimes sure feels like I'm alone in the quit smoking world....so thank you for sharing your story...it makes me believe in myself and that I can do two things at once.

Wish me luck....and thanks again!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 08:16

Stats: 197/172/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 40%

Oh to quit or not to quit. I have quit a couple of times already this year but seem to keep going back. My hubby comes home from work and I light up again!!!

I am quitting. I am using the patch, and I figure if I can cut out the carbs, I'll cut out the butts too!!! I always thought that the weight gain was from eating to stop the NIC cravings. But you are saying the metabolism changes? That 's not nice.

Oh well, it'll happen one way or the other, might as well bite the bullet and go for it.

Anyone looking for a buddy for support?

Sandy
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 08:26
Vorsicht! heiß

Hiya all,

I quit cold turkey and I told myself, I will never ever have another puff. I am treading cigs now like crack cockaine...knowing that if I have a drag I could be fully addicted again and this got me through cravings. I love it not to stand outside anymore to get my fix, I love it that I can watch a whole movie without running into my garage for this needed drag, so my body has its drugs again. I feel free and in charge.
For all who try to quit..I wish you the best. It is a wonderful feeling to be addiction free.

Mischa
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 23:07
Recovering Yo-Yo

Ohhhhh Sandy....I could sure use a quit smoking buddy!

It's crazy....but I think it will be so much harder for me to quit smoking than to lose weight. Maybe it's all in my head....but it sure feels that way.

I read through the site that Mischa posted the link to. A great sight....and I have started with step one.....setting a quit date.....so I have and am planning for Monday. Yikes, I feel a little panicy just talking about it.

Ok...I can do this right? I need to do this. I'm going to do this......I hope!

Jo
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 01:09

BF:

Great Josie,
I've added you to my buddy list. I'm looking forward to quitting but I too am scared. I've tried so much in the past few weeks and months. I find the dieting MUCH easier too!

I'll have no cigarettes during the day tomorrow (well today) LOL, but I'll see how I do when my husband gets home with the pack!!!

If not this weekend, Monday is it for sure.

#11   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 07:08
Recovering Yo-Yo

Excellent.....have added you to my buddy list too.

I am really nervous/scared about this.....I guess it's out of fear that I might over compensate with food.

Does your hubby smoke? Mine does. He says he might try to quit with me on Monday.....but I told him not to do it just because I am....he has to be ready......if he's ready come Monday, Great! If not....he's relegated to the garage!

It really makes me angry that I have become so addicted to something that is so harmful to my health & the really stupid thing is that I didn't start smoking until I was 25....certainly old enough to know better! And the price!!! I don't know what the cost is in Ontario these days....but here, it's between $7.50 & $8.00 a pack? Not quite sure how I justify spending that every day!

Ok....deep breath.....I'm ready!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 08:27

BF:

Yes, my hubbie smokes. He has since he was not much over 10. We keep picking a date together and then he comes up with an excuse. I quit years ago, for 7 years and then when I was having trouble with my daughter, I started again. I have quit so many times since then it's ridiculous. Now even my daughter has quit, about a year now, and my son has again quit. So today, I will tough it out.

The price is about the same here. Absolutely absurd. Such a waste! It's worth quitting just for that. But health wise, well I've had enough health problems over the past few years that I don't need to tempt fate. Lost my brother-in-law last year. He had prostate and lung cancer, and a fool infection killed him. He never recovered from losing the lung. But right now as I sit here, I really want one. I have my patch on and I breathing deeply. My daughters boyfriend got us some "smoke ease". They don't sell them here. Do you have them? They are little plastic "smokes" with menthol. You suck on them to help through the cravings.

I didn't lose any weight today. I've been losing about a pound a day for this first week. It almost clicked over and then stuck. Need to be active today. Had two quiet days since I was so tired and the pain was bothering me. Sooooo, I'm off to do errands.

Hope you have a good day.

Sandy
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 08:49

Stats: 240/184/140 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:lost track
Default I am proud of you all!

I quit smoking 7 1/2 years ago when I cleaned up my act. I was married to a drug addicted/alcoholic husband who smoked as well. I just followed suit with the cigarettes-not the drugs/alcohol.

I have NEVER regretted giving them up-weight gain didn't matter. I improved my health!!!

I feel that with LC we have more control over the weight gain issue than before. Perhaps you will encounter a slight weight gain, but it will only be temporary. Diet and exercise will even the score. Patience and persistence will overcome.

Once you give up the smokes maybe you can afford a new wardrobe???

Just taking the first step is the hardest. I will be cheering you on!

Tanya
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 09:23

BF:

Thanks for the support.

My first goal is to fit the clothes I have!!! Then, yes, a new wardrobe. I go to see my folks in two weeks, and yes, my skinny sister. (a size 3)

Then at the end of the summer I go camping and visit my daughter. By then I hope to be down 15+ pounds. I've lost 6 since I started last weekend, but we shall see how long this quick drop lasts.

No smokes so far today. Now to keep going.

Sandy
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 10:23
Vorsicht! heiß

be strong You can do it and it will get better. Each day will be better.

I am wishing you all the best for the quit!

hugs Mischa