Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 08:17
Registered Member

Plan: BFL
Stats: 120/125/ Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Bone Density??

I can't remember if it was in SPI or SPII, but Dr. S mentioned something about bone density and getting a bone density test for certain types. Anyone remember?

I ask b/c I'm pretty down today. Seems I may have fractured yet another bone in my foot 2 nights ago while doing a w.o. video. I was just doing the high impact section and I felt a twinge of pain, I kept going the whole time thinking it was just bruised, but now it feels like a break and I can't put weight on it at all. Been walking on my heel.

This will be my 8th broken foot bone in under 4 years! I have an appt. w/ my foot doc (who I see more than my reg. physician!) today for an x-ray so we know exactly what I'm dealing with here and I am going to mention a bone density test to him...AGAIN! He didn't think I needed one last year w/ my broken toe. Said I was too young and that I am just clumsy. DON"T THINK SO!! Sorry, I'm more pissed than anything. Just when I was making some good progess...

Last edited by bbgirl3306 : Fri, Aug-01-03 at 08:18.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 08:36

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 115/115/115
BF:
Progress:

Oh wow! I would not request, I would demand a bone density test. You don't just break bones from doing even a high impact workout. You can also have your calcium levels tested by doing intracellular testing. (Regular blood tests will not show you this. Most of the time, even in a deficient state, they will read completely normal.) It is a specialized blood test where they test the levels in your white blood cells. I had it done -- tested for about 20 different vitamins and minerals. I was quite calcium deficient and had no idea. If you want more info on that test, I'd be happy to tell ya all that I know about it and how it worked for me. {{{BIG HUGS}}}, this sounds pretty scary.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 08:37
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi BBgirl:

In SPI, Dr. S. writes a lot about bone density (starting on p.179). I don't see anything that specifically answers your question, so maybe it was somewhere else. However, she mentions that eating a low-fat, high-carb, or low calorie diet will hallow bones. She also mentions several times in SPII that high cortisol and/or adrenaline levels also thins the bones.

Anyway, I may not be much help, but I feel terrible about your foot. I hope you can get some resolution to this problem. You might have to be persistent about the bone density test. Good luck and let us know how things go.

Wanda
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 08:47
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks to both of you! (((HUGS BACK))) I am leaving now to see the doc. I will mention the intracellulare testing, Cicely. I am interested in what you haad done.

Wanda, thanks for the pag. #. I'll read that section again. I hope I come back more informed or least having the tests scheduled. :/
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 09:15

BF:
Progress:

Hope it helps. Chances are your doc will have never heard of it. I had to find the test and have it done on my own. I've had docs tell me, even though I told them serum tests were no good, "Well, we'll just test and see." And they order a plain ole chem 7 like they always do. Sometimes they throw in a chem 20 for good measure . Be sure you don't let them tell you that a serum test is good for this. It is not.

Here is where I had it done, and it goes into some details

If a doc won't order it, you can order it yourself. You have to call the company and get the tubes sent to you. I had them delivered to my door. Then you just have to go to a lab and have it drawn and picked up by Airborne Express. Insurance is more likely to cover it if it is ordered by a doc though. It cost me ~$200 to have the 20 or so tests done. It is a blood test, but they measure the levels in your white blood cells (it is similar to a Hemoglobin A1C if you have ever had any experience with that). It will give you an average of what your status in each nutrient has been over the past 3 months (the average life span of a white blood cell). Scientifically, it is a much more accurate test for nutrient status than serum tests, since your body will maintain tight serum levels, even in a deficient status, to protect vital organs. This is especially true with mineral levels. By the time a calcium deficiency shows up on a serum test, it's usually critical.

It may be a little long, but here's my experience. I knew I has some deficiencies and had just guessed at what they were. I was close, but this test clarified and pinned it down for me. I thought it was magnesium and B6 and it was Calcium and B2. (Along with a few others I was unaware of). That really helped because I knew what supplements I needed to research and beef up on. I was surprised to see that my calcium levels were that low. I also learned though that all the deficiencies are usually interconnected somehow -- aborption competition, and deficiency chains set into motion by a series of life events (birth control pill, little sunlight exposure, overworked adrenals...). Having a reference of what I was deficient in helped me get a firmer grip on things. It'll be the year anniversary of my testing in november, and I'm still not completely repleted, but am doing better. The repletion process has been slow, and it has taken finding a healthier woe (TSP) to do it. I went from barely eating anything, to eating balanced and often. I can tell that I am improving more now than when I was just popping supplements. It takes the whole package that way for sure. Just to show you what all it found for me --- I thought I has a magnesium and B6 deficiency. What they found was: deficiencies in calcium, B2, glutathione, zinc, and oleic acid. They also found that my insulin/glucose interaction was not at it's optimum, and that my antioxidant levels could stand to be higher. They also make supplemental recommendations which I thought was great. There are other labs that do the same thing, but they are not common. You can't go to the hospital lab and have this done. It is a special order/send way off sort of thing. But is was so worth the trouble it was. HTH? And hope you find your answer soon.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 09:25
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Shonda:

Would you have to be off supplements in order for the test to be accurate. If so, how long?

Wanda
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 09:53

BF:
Progress:

I wouldn't think so Wanda. The only reason I can think of that you would need to d/c your supplements for it is is you wanted to see what your body would do without taking any. If you wanted to do this you would need to be off them approx 3 months, since that's the approx life of a WBC. But if you just wanted to see how you were doing overall using the regimen you were on, you wouldn't need to discontinue them. Especially since many of us plan to take some form of supplements for the rest of our lives, I don't see the need. I took the test while I was taking my vitamins. I changed my regimen based on the results and haven't retested. That's the only kicker about this test. Retesting really tells you nothing if you don't wait ~6 months between testing, since it gives an average of the past 3 months. That would give 3 months to build and 3 months of maintenance to get a maintenance level test result. Sounds clear as mud huh?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 10:22

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Bbgirl,

Good luck at your dr's appt. today. It is so frustrating to deal with injuries! I hope they can give you some good news and that you won't be laid up for too long. I broke my toe Dec 31st (not related to poor diet - smashed it with a 25# weight plate), and it's still giving me fits off and on. I'm going to my g.p. today because I think it's infected - couldn't get in to the orthopedist for 2 weeks. Maybe we should start an owie foot support forum!

Jen
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 14:33
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
I broke my toe Dec 31st (not related to poor diet - smashed it with a 25# weight plate

OUCH! Jen, that even hurts to read! Hope it starts getting better.

Wanda
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 19:08

Thanks, Wanda, it is doing better than it was. I wore sandals most of the rest of the winter. I'm having problems again because my nail grew back and the toe is a little swollen esp. when I'm on my feet a lot, so it gets infected or irritated. The dr. said the soft tissue trauma was more of a problem than the fracture itself, and it might take a year before it is fully healed.

Jen
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 07:58

BF:
Progress:

Ooh, Jen, yeouee! Hope it all heals up soon. That sounds really painful.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 09:34

Plan: S.Beach/Insulin Resistnce
Stats: 310/274/260 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hairpats to all y'all toe-breakers. Breaking toes & foot-bones sucketh mightily. Don't know if it'll help y'all, but since I quit fighting, I haven't broken any bones at all...my own, or anyone elses!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 14:10
Registered Member

BF:

Much ado about nothing. My foot started to feel beeter right before my dr. appt. and after x-rays it turned out to be no broken bones. Yippppeeee! Just a bruised ligament (probably from landing wrong during a hi-impact move.) Am I dork or what? Sorry for being such a freak. It hurt like heck at the time. I was sure it was broken. Its almost all better now, just sore. I am a protective freak now over my feet due to all the breaks so sorry for going off like that.
Oooo, Jen, that one does sound painful! Man! Most of my breaks have been from swinging my foot into something (no, not DH a$$). You name it, I've done it. Last year's break was a kick into the dumbell after my w.o...not on purpose.

Well, I sure hope we both heal up fast. I am on a "no impact for one week" order. Then I can test it.

Last edited by bbgirl3306 : Sat, Aug-02-03 at 14:12.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 20:44

Talking

Glad to hear you didn't break anything and that you're already feeling better! I didn't end up getting to see my dr - had to leave to teach my water aerobics class before she got to me. But it looks a little better today, and I really don't think it's infected, just irritated. I may try a short run tomorrow and see how it does. Do you have access to a pool? I swam laps today and that felt great!

Jen