Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 20:44
Registered Member

Plan: BFL
Stats: 120/125/ Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Heavy Cream Ques.

Hi There,

Ok, per your advice here, I went ahead and got SPII and am muddling through it now. I am having a little trouble figuring stuff out, like had 3 nectarines in the last 3 days and then read today in SPII that that is a hi glycemic fruit and I shouldn't be having it at my level yet. Learning new stuff each day.

Anyway, let me get to my question already!

The last 3 cartons of Organic Valley heavy cream I've bought have had a heavy curd in the carton. One carton was hardly any cream and all curd, but it wasn't bad...smelled good. So what's up with that? ANyone ever seen that?

2nd question, Organic Valley was the only hvy. cream I could find that had only 1 ingredient besides cream in the ingredient list and that was: carageenan (sp?). Is that ok? If not, what brand should I look for? I havne't been able to find anything else 'round here.

BTW, I have found Stevia and I have found HEAVEN! I will never need sugar again. Bye Bye, Sugar! How can it be legal?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 20:50
Registered Member

Plan: schwarzbein principle
Stats: 260/215/160
BF:
Progress: 45%

Hello

I buy organic valley all the time I buy it by the case form my co-op and I've found when I've had it a while it seems to curd up. Your so right it is still good I think its just from sitting arouind longer. I've also found when I try to whip this up it goes to butter quite fast so be very carful when using this for whipping.
Good Luck
Sharon
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 14:16

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

"Carageenan is a natural seaweed gelling agent." It's considered organic and natural. Personally, I don't like it at all and I think it changes the flavor. It's intended to make the cream thicker.

I live in northern California and we have a couple different dairies that supply pure cream. One of them is Strauss. I like their cream best because it has a higher percentage of fat. It's naturally thick, very rich, creamy , and tastes great.

Every bottle I open has a layer of clotted cream at the top. This is natural. Basically, even after cream is separated from the milk, there are still varying concentrations and it separates more.

I would suspect that the carageenan continues to thicken the cream as it sits and that thickening will settle to the bottom rather than the top for natural separation. If you buy it when it's just been delivered to the store, it would be somewhat thinner.

Here's another use for carageenan:

Quote:
Carageenan is a natural seaweed gelling agent that provides viscosity for marbling on fabric. The carageenan solution should be mixed at least 12 hours in advance. In blender or food processor, put 1 quart of warm water and slowly sprinkle 1 teaspoon of calgon and 2 teaspoons of carageenan with blender running. Blend well and pour into tray. Make as many batches as needed until tray is filled about 1 1/2" deep.

I hope this helps,
;-Deb

Last edited by DebPenny : Thu, Jul-24-03 at 14:43.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 17:06
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Deb! Ido wish I had another source for getting pure cream. Yours sounds delish!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 20:53

Plan: CALP/Schwarzbien
Stats: 212.5/192/172.5 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi,

Just a word of advise on carageenan. I read somewhere that this natural thickener contains naturally occuring glutamates. If you are sensitive to MSG you may also be sensitive to carageenan. Glutamate sensitivity can hinder weight loss in sensative individuals, cause cravings, headaches, and a host of other symptoms.

deb
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 03:30
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Here's a FYI on this additive:

Quote:
Carrageenan is a naturally-occurring carbohydrate extracted from red seaweed. Common sources of carrageenan are certain brands of "rice milk" and "soy milk" as well as toothpastes. In addition to suppressing immune function[7], carrageenan causes intestinal ulcers and inflammatory bowel disease in animals[8] and some research indicates that carrageenan is associated with causing cancer in humans.[9] Consumption of carrageenan and other water-soluble polymers used as food additives and incidence of mammary carcinoma. Tobacman JK, Wallace RB, Zimmerman MB. College of Medicine, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1081, USA

I also read that carrageenan is an asthma irritant.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 08:26
Registered Member

BF:

Geez Louise! Any advice on getting my hands on some pure, pure, heavy whipping cream?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 12:01

Plan: S.Beach/Insulin Resistnce
Stats: 310/274/260 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I used to drive out and buy fresh, whole milk from a farmer, pasteurized but not homogenized. I'd let it sit overnight, then skim off the cream. Try calling a nearby dairy farm and see if you can do the same thing.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 20:00

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Where are you??

Is there a health food store around? Whole Foods, Wild Oats, organic is best...

Last edited by MsJinx : Fri, Jul-25-03 at 20:01.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 21:58
Registered Member

BF:

I'm in South Florida. I have a couple Mom n' Pop HF stores and a Whole Foods. The only heavy cream that Whole Foods both had carageenan.

I'm not in a rural area unless I drive about an hour to go looking for farms so that is not an option. Too busy for that. Ho-hum!

Hey! I'll buy a cow. Why not, I've had every other kind of animal under the sun! And I think they're adorable. She'll get along fine in my little backyard.

Last edited by bbgirl3306 : Fri, Jul-25-03 at 22:01.