Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 02:45
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didy
My husband suffered from clinical depression. He tried the meds and that made things much worse. I got him on a good supplemental program of D3, B-Complex, Magnesium, etc.... and that has done wonders! Way more than the meds ever did for him. He is not a low carber, but he did find out that he was D deficient, years after I had started him on supplements...and he was taking 1,000 mg a day then, now he has to take about 3,000 mg a day of the D3.
Bear in mind those are IU (international units NOT mg)
To get most people to have stored vitamin D3 in tissue requires a daily intake more like the amount human skin naturally makes given exposure to UVB. 6000iu/daily is a typical amount though of course there is a huge variation between individuals so regular 25(OH)D testing is required initially so you can work out how much your body needs to stay around the 60ng/ml level at which human breast milk is a complete vitamin D replete food for human babies.

While I'm all for people using D3, B-complex and magnesium I hope the etc means you also include OMEGA 3. While magnesium certainly works in synergy with vitamin D3 to reduce inflammation in the brain, omega 3 does the same but is working in a different complementary way so the brain inflammation is being dealt with on several different levels. You may also want to try Curcumin for depression that again works with Vitamin D3 by helping to activate vitamin D receptors but it's also able to work independently. So there are some things it does just like vitamin D3 but there are also some circumstances where the curcumin has a better effect than the D3.
There are good reasons to think that Curcumin has a role in weight loss and obesity prevention so it's worth everyone considering using it. While making sure there is plenty of Turmeric in your diet is one way we have to remember the bioavailability of standard spice turmeric is not very good.
There are better forms such as Meriva, Phytosome Curcumins or Super BIO-Curcumin They are of course somewhat more expensive so do use the available discounts such as $5 initial discount ~~~~~~ and spread your rewards code so everyone can benefit from the lowest possible price.
I use iherb because their shipping to UK makes then the cheapest for me.
Do check prices elsewhere such as Vitacost or Swansons as they may be cheaper for you depending on shipping.