Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-01, 21:40

Plan: ?? my own based on many
Stats: 265/240/140
BF:
Progress: 20%
Talking Hey y'all!

Hey everyone

I'm new here but have been trying to get low carb for about a month now. Lost 18 pounds already, but still have a while to go. I realized I needed to do something about my addiction when I came up on zero again on the scale... blah . I used to drink up to 10 cokes a day on top of all the pasta and bread I ate. I fell into the carb problem after trying to lose weight on the "stop the insanity" diet years ago - for those of you who remember, it was basically a high carb, no fat diet.

Anyway, I'm thrilled to have found this community to be a part of. I hope to be in contact as much as possible.
Cheers,
Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-01, 21:54
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard Lisa,

Congrats on the loss so far, and stick around with us, your fellow losers.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-01, 22:20
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to lowcarb.ca Lisa!

Quote:
I used to drink up to 10 cokes a day on top of all the pasta and bread I ate.

You are describing me to a tee. Add to that a pint of Hagen Dazs a day!

Click around and find all the features the forum has to offer. Read through the journals too. It might inspire you to start one yourself!

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-01, 02:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome abaord lisa! i love your board name! i sure remember the stop the insanity diet! i actually believed susan powter when she said i could eat the whole tray of brownies, there was no fat in them! i gained 20lb over 10years of eating lowfat! congratulations on your weightloss! you've found the real magic solution!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-01, 04:38

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

18 pounds in a month is great. Since you are using your own plan, how many carbs do you allow yourself per day?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-01, 06:22

BF:
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the support everyone! Like I said, it's great to be part of a community like this

Atriana, what's weird is that I'm not really counting.
I am eating lots of greens and lots of meat - as lean as possible.
I have fruit only in the morning, and only a serving or two.
I don't touch anything that says low fat, because the filler is always empty carbohydrates.
I don't eat anything at all after 7pm, which was tricky 'cause I was always a binger at night. I was told once that sumo wrestlers eat tonnes of carbs right before they go to bed to get the body they need to compete - apparently I was on a sumo wrestler's diet.
I drink an enormous amount of water - as much water as I used to drink pop and juice - at least 5L a day.
I snack all day long, and exercise lightly as much as I can.
Zero bread, pasta, rice or potatoes...

With this group, I'm going to start keeping a journal, so I can get some more tips from all of you, and keep track of my progress and carbs. What I decided was more to eat just healthy following some of the guidlines so I'd feel better about myself. I didn't want to follow any one program to the letter, because I know in the past it just makes me feel like I'm missing something.

I have cheated a bit, but I think my body is just so happy to be off the (literally) all sugar diet, that I lost a bunch the first while. I don't expect to keep taking 18 pds off a month. That's not my goal. Right now, I just want to be able to wear my leather jacket by the end of the winter.

Anyway, keep in touch. What is your routine? Maybe I can get some tips from you?

Cheers,
Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-01, 11:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/130/110
BF:
Progress: 0%

Wow,

18 lbs, Holy moly that is alot. What does your hubby or boyfriend think. ?? Me too, me too, I am major addict to cola but also love water. That is the first thing I do in the morning. Grab a glass and drink two glasses of water, then pee. hehehe but it is true.your diet is not one I am used to but hey it is working which is better than I can say for me so ALLRIGHT. Hope it continues.
Kelly Ann
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-01, 11:55
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 208/191/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Thumbs up hello

Hi

I was one of those cola lovers too ,till i started low carbing ,now life is real good no more highs and deadly lows ,and there were many .
This site is brilliant and you get so much support.so good luck and happy low carbing.

seeya Linda
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-01, 12:07

BF:
Smile Thanks again

Hey Kelly Ann,

My partner is working on it too 20 pounds so far by eating healthier, looking at history and nutrition.

I think the reason it's working for me is because I have so much to lose. I've noticed around the group that it is much easier to lose a dramatic amount at first when you are larger... partially because you are probably retaining more water, and also because your body must go into a real shock. I'm sure there are other scientific reasons, but I don't know how that works.

I would be surprised if I keep losing at that rate. But I have to say, I feel so much better than I used to. I'm sleeping, and not right after a big bowl of pasta anymore I'm hoping I can lose between 5-10 pounds a month. Then I'll reach my goal by next Christmas. But I'm not going to get angry if it doesn't work out this time. That puts me in a downward spiral. I'll just re-adjust again.

Keep doing research about what you think will work for you. That's what I did, and I'm happy I did. I've gone through this since I was 10 - up and down up and down. All because I didn't pay attention to NUTRITION. And what I've learned is that anyone who says it's easy is usually just trying to sell you something.

Cheers,
Lisa
p.s.
ADNIL, you are so right! I have been on the list for two days, and already I feel like I've got a huge support system.