Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-10, 01:55

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default anyone with hair issues?

Since I have had Hashi's, I first began losing hair. Now that I have been put on both Cytomel and Synthroid, that has stopped. But now, when I have gone to get my gray roots touched up, the gray doesn't process! The rest of my hair is an espresso brown but the last two attempts to color my roots have resulted in a weird burgundy/violet color - but on the gray roots only!!! My stylist is baffled as this is the same product I have used for many years. Wonder if my dermatologist will know???

Looks very weird....any thoughts????
THANKS!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 02:02

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Never thought about it being related to thyroid, but my gray hair will absolutely not die. I do my own and leave it on the gray bits much longer than the rest of the hair, and after the first wash, back to gray. I don't even bother much anymore. Interesting idea, but I think resistant grays are fairly common.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-10, 12:10
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've heard that hypothyroid is linked to premature grey. But I don't know about it's resistance to taking dye! Maybe that's just genetic?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 01:34

BF:

Stupid aging crap!!!

Thanks for the replies though. I had a hair dresser tell me today that on some people, peroxide has to be used to soften the hair shaft first. Scared that would break my dry hair right off though. Don't know what to do, and going grey not an option! Not yet!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-28-10, 12:58

Plan: mix of Atkins/Carb Addict
Stats: 188/185/135 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I have Hashi's too, and have been on Synthroid for about 21 years. I also have a family trait of going gray early (yippee) and since I am stubbornly refusing to go that route, I dye my hair. I have a patch at the front that is definitely resistant, and my hairdresser pre-treats it before applying the colour. It is not just peroxide, which could damage dry hair, but it is does have it in there I'm sure. If you have a good colorist who can check it out, I'm sure she can find a product that can soften the hair without damaging it.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-28-10, 15:22

BF:

Thanks Christyann! Yep - right in the front! I could easily just be like Lilly Munster if all else fails I suppose!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 09:51

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 191/189/140 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

My synthroid has been up to 0.125 mg last summer. I started at .075 four and half years ago. My next appt with the endo isn't until April. My hair is falling out at a tremendous rate. I admit, i hate to take showers because I hate to see how much hair is falling out. Back to the same ol sluggishness, and coldness. I'm thinking about calling and see if they can give me an appt sooner. should i ask about supplementing with cytomel?

My endo has never told me what kind of hypo that I have. What are your thoughts?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 14:18

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlgoble
My synthroid has been up to 0.125 mg last summer. I started at .075 four and half years ago. My next appt with the endo isn't until April. My hair is falling out at a tremendous rate. I admit, i hate to take showers because I hate to see how much hair is falling out. Back to the same ol sluggishness, and coldness. I'm thinking about calling and see if they can give me an appt sooner. should i ask about supplementing with cytomel?

My endo has never told me what kind of hypo that I have. What are your thoughts?

jmho but that is not much synthroid at all! also if you are losing a ton of hair and you are on the synthroid sounds like you might not be converting to T3,.

I would definitely ask the doctor about adding 5mg of cytomel to the sythroid and possibly upping the synthroid

Have you had your Ft3 and Ft4 tested lately? or Rt3?

I was losing a ton of hair until I got to the top, and I mean very top of the range for Ft3. for me this means 2 grains of dessicated thyroid, you are on about 1/4 grain with that synthroid dose. Each person is different but it sounds like your hypo symptoms are coming back
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 16:22
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlgoble

Try taking your thyroid meds just before bed and see if they're more effective. But yeah, make an appt for the blood test. You could just go see your GP, don't really need an endo for that unless there's some other reason.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 22:11

BF:

Before bed? Cytomel? Not that I don't trust you as much as anyone here Nancy (you're da bomb!)....but doesn't it make you hyper? I don't know that much about dessicated thyroid as I am still so new to this. I know that adding the Cytomel stopped my hair loss, (but I still have other symptoms that haven't yet resolved.) Also, I tried a few weeks ago to increase the T-3 myself and had bad chest pains for several days. Won't be doing that again!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-10, 06:37

Plan: Moderate carb
Stats: 296/144/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 101%

Dragging out my pompoms to 2nd Nancy's suggestion of trying your dose before bedtime.

Though you wouldn't know it by my draggy-butt this morning, that's helped with my perception of energy in the morning by probably 2-3x and *seems to* be leading to a reduction of my hypo symptoms.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-10, 13:21

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I think I'll try and take my thryoid med before bedtime and see how it goes. The getting up in the middle of the night scenario doesn't always work since being on induction I've been sleeping very well. I don't think it will make me hyper since I really don't feel the meds at all (I'm not even sure they work at all but I am not ready to tackle the whole thyroid thing right now).
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-10, 15:38

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I think the suggestion is to do synthroid before bedtime, cytomel would cause you to be more awake.

I tried the dessicated thyroid before bedtime and that was a mistake. I take my last dose at 4 pm latest.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-10, 18:03
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroangie
Before bed? Cytomel? Not that I don't trust you as much as anyone here Nancy (you're da bomb!)....but doesn't it make you hyper? I don't know that much about dessicated thyroid as I am still so new to this. I know that adding the Cytomel stopped my hair loss, (but I still have other symptoms that haven't yet resolved.) Also, I tried a few weeks ago to increase the T-3 myself and had bad chest pains for several days. Won't be doing that again!

I never said cytomel before bed, but it works great for synthroid (and generics). Cytomel and Armor (etc) probably just depends. I've heard some people say they like it before bed that it makes them sleep well and wake up with lots of energy. Others say it keeps them awake. T3 works very quickly, T4 doesn't.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-10, 20:23

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

I too have trouble covering the grey. Someone suggested using a dark brown instead of a warm brown. I use a temporary color by Ion. Using the dark brown instead of the warm brown gets rid of the purple problem. Hope this helps you.