Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-15-00, 12:22

Plan:
Stats: 225/163/145
BF:
Progress:
Wink

Hi Everyone,

I've noticed that now Atkins is producing a "nutrigrain-like" line of breakfast bars that have a sort of cookie & filling sort of look.

I was wondering if anyone's tried them or has the ingredient list. The info I've seen says they have 2.5 or so carbs per bar but I was wondering if they are like the regular bars in that they contain a lot of glycerine and maltitol (which ARE carbs and I really don't appreciate the nutritional information sleight-of-hand these companies pull just to sell product - especially Atkins himself)

Does anyone have any insight on this one?

Thanks,
Sarah
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-15-00, 14:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default First I've heard of it....

But I'm really interested in doing some research on this. Do you have some details (where did you see them, what are they called exactly), Sarah?

Thanks!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-15-00, 19:28

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Hi,

I have tried the blueberry pancake ones and I like them. They taste like pancakes and syrup, and they taste even better when you microwave them for a couple of seconds. They are smaller than the other atkins bars, but they too have glycerine in them like the other bars. http://www.atkinsfriends.com has the complete ingredient listing on their marketplace site. The blueberry are 2.7 carbs without glycerine factored in. The lemon poppy seed are 2.0 and the cherry danish are 2.5

I hope this info helps you out. Also at http://www.lowcarbluxury.com they give their review of the products.

PS...I just joined the board in case you don't recognize the name!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-15-00, 19:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by cocoa8
Hi,

PS...I just joined the board in case you don't recognize the name!

Welcome aboard Cocoa8, glad you joined us!

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-15-00, 21:32

Plan:
Stats: 225/163/145
BF:
Progress:
Cool Thanks!

Thanks for the info,

I checked out the nutritional info at atkinsfriends.com (who are located in Detroit and won't even ship to Canada, by the way!)

I took it upon myself to calculate the real carb counts on these bars (using the calories of fat & protein, subtracted from the total calories method) and the bars seem to be not that bad in terms of carbs anyways...

Blueberry pancacke and Lemmon poppyseed work out to 5.75g per bar and Cherry Almond is 4.5g. (this is still double what Atkins puts on the label, though)

I'll have to get some of these to try, they sound good!

Sarah