Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-05, 06:08

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

We had the pumpkin cheesecake last night. The things I would change would be to leave out the salt (didn't sound right anyway, but I was combining two recipes), and up the sweetener a bit. I used 1/2 cup of Splenda. I might use a full cup next time, or maybe 1/2 cup of Splenda and 1/2 cup of SF vanilla or maple syrup. Probably the maple syrup.

I made it without the crust. It's a little messy to get full slices without it falling apart, but not bad. And I think it will get firmer by today. I did use a teflon-coated springform pan.

My pumpkin pie recipe also calls for 2 Tablespoons of dark rum. Maybe I'll add that next time, too.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-05, 10:07

BF:

I just entered my pumpkin cheesecake variation into Fitday and got some interesting results. I entered it once using full-fat Philly cheese and sour cream, and once using low-fat Philly (Neufchatel) cheese and low-fat sour cream. Here are the scores for one slice (1/12 of cake):

Full Fat:
175 calories
16 grams fat
4 grams ECC (1 gram fiber from the pumpkin deducted)
4 grams protein

Lower Fat:
167 calories
14 grams fat
5 grams ECC (1 gram fiber from the pumpkin deducted)
6 grams protein

All in all, it looks like it doesn't much matter whether you use full fat or lower fat ingredients. I don't think I'll go out of my way to use the low-fat products, especially if there's anything artificial about them.

Next I want to try a Coconut Mounds version. I'll use coconut extract, some unsweetened coconut in the batter, and SF coconut syrup as the sweetened. Then, when serving, I'll add a drizzle of SF chocolate syrup! Maybe even sprinkle a little coconut on the top as well.
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-05, 17:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 312/275/164 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 25%

I have not tried this recipe yet, but I intend to. Some tricks I have done with cheesecake in the past include

Inserting a popsicle stick into the thick end of each slice, and freezing individually

Using a melon baller to scoop out cheesecake "balls". Freeze. If you don't mind the extra carbs, dip the balls into lc chocolate for an even more heavenly treat.

Sub a bit of the liquid for alchohol.. creme de menthe, chambord, cointreau, godiva, baileys..all add a few carbs but a sophisticated flavor. (not all together though.. ick)

I'll let you all know how it turns out. I'm M&E right now, but look out!
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-05, 22:49

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I just entered my pumpkin cheesecake variation into Fitday and got some interesting results. I entered it once using full-fat Philly cheese and sour cream, and once using low-fat Philly (Neufchatel) cheese and low-fat sour cream. Here are the scores for one slice (1/12 of cake):

Full Fat:
175 calories
16 grams fat
4 grams ECC (1 gram fiber from the pumpkin deducted)
4 grams protein

Lower Fat:
167 calories
14 grams fat
5 grams ECC (1 gram fiber from the pumpkin deducted)
6 grams protein

All in all, it looks like it doesn't much matter whether you use full fat or lower fat ingredients. I don't think I'll go out of my way to use the low-fat products, especially if there's anything artificial about them.

Next I want to try a Coconut Mounds version. I'll use coconut extract, some unsweetened coconut in the batter, and SF coconut syrup as the sweetened. Then, when serving, I'll add a drizzle of SF chocolate syrup! Maybe even sprinkle a little coconut on the top as well.

Oh my gosh! What in the world is all this baking!!!!! Could you post the pumpkin cheesecake with the adjustments and all?????? Now, when you say coconut mounds version...are you talking cheesecake still????? Now, that sounds great as well!
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-05, 02:23

BF:

No time right now. I have to do my workout and then scoot off to work. I'll try to post the full pumpkin cheesecake (and Coconut Mounds cheesecake) recipe tonight.
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-05, 17:07

BF:
Default Basic Recipe Again and Variations

Bawdy’s Cheesecake

16 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1½ cup sour cream (all of a small 1-pound container)
2 Tbsp melted butter
½ cup Splenda

Beat all ingredients together. Pour into springform pan. Bake in preheated oven 325 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes. It will firm as it cools. It helps to put a pan of water in the oven on the same shelf. When the time is up, turn the oven off, but don’t take the cake out. Let it cool completely before opening the door. Then refrigerate.

Doesn’t need a crust. Spray the pan with Pam.

Best the next day, even if you make it in the morning.

Variations:

Chocolate Swirl: Pour all but 1 cup of batter into the pan. Add a couple tablespoons of cocoa to the reserved cup, mix it up, and then drop it onto the batter in the pan. Swirl to incorporate.

Pumpkin: Add 1 small can of pumpkin to batter, along with 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ tsp nutmeg, ¼ tsp allspice, ¼ tsp cloves. Add another half cup of Splenda or maple syrup. Could also add 2 tablespoons of dark rum.

Strawberry Swirl: Pour batter into pan. Drop spoonfuls of SF jam onto batter and swirl.

Coconut Mounds: Use coconut extract and coconut SF syrup as the sweetener. Maybe even add some unsweetened coconut to the batter. To serve, cut into slices and drizzle with chocolate syrup.
  #97   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-05, 13:58

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 207.2/162.6/137.0 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 64%

I tried this recipe and it was good. The only reason I didn't say that it was great was because I believe that I messed it up. I happened to make mine choc.swirl, so I took out 1 cup of the regular cheesecake batter and I ended up putting more than 2 T. of unsweetened cocoa, BUT (key word!) I didn't add more splenda which I definitely should of to the chocolate batter! Cuz it made it taste a little bitter and salty like. I was like darn! So I will have to just make it again
  #98   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 19:09

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

Quote:
It helps to put a pan of water in the oven on the same shelf.

do you stick the springform pan IN a pan of water, or do you put a pan of water next to the springform pan?
  #99   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 19:40
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

I put a pan of water on the shelf below the cheesecake and it seemed to work.
  #100   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 21:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/189.2/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

can this recipe be halved? i know i've tried cutting some LC recipes in 1/2 in the past and ended up with bad results.

has anyone tried this? thanks!
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 06:37

BF:

Alibali, I see no reason why the recipe couldn't be halved. But unless you're halving it because you don't have all the ingredients, why bother? It freezes well.

If you do halve the recipe, remember to cut the baking time a bit. Just keep checking it. It should still be jiggly in the middle -- it will firm up as it cools.

Aci, sorry but I didn't see your post. I've tried putting the springform pan right in the water, but the pan leaks a little and lets water in. I also tried wrapping the outside of the springform pan in foil, but that wasn't so great either. So, I end up doing what Samantha said to do -- put a separate dish of water either on the same rack or on the rack underneath.
  #102   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 11:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The leaking springform pan issue Alton Brown dealt with by not using them. He lined the pan with parchment, a ring for the bottom and straight piece for the sides. Make sure the side piece sticks up a bit so you can pull it out.

I have developed a hatred of those pans myself after having had a few mishaps with them.
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 09:10

Plan: Nothing Specific Now
Stats: 194.5/191/165 Female 5ft 6in
BF:33.8%/31.1%/25%
Progress: 12%

I made the cheesecake last night. I used Torani Sugar Free Syrup (sweetened w/ liquid splenda) in the Almond Roca flavor. I kept one cup out and mixed in some unsweetened cocoa.
It was really good! I didnt mix the cream cheese long enough though and it was still kinda lumpy. I also cooked it for only 35 minutes and next time I will cook for 40.
I loved it and it was a great treat! I'm still on induction so I didnt make a crust. Using the syrup instead of splenda and no crust knocked the carbs down to only 2 per slice.
Great recipe Bawdy
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 11:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Bawdy-
I make a very similar cheese cake and I have tried a few variations that turned out great. This is the base cheese cake recipe that I use. Close to yours minus the sour cream and butter:

2 8 oz pkgs cream cheese
2 eggs
2 Tbsp vanilla
1/2 cup Splenda
2 ish cups of a "filling"

For pumpkin I modify like this:
Add 1 small can (15oz) pumpkin and
2 Tbsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice, or to taste, or whatever you like to add, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves

For the crust I crush up the nuts from this recipe and add melted butter:

1/2 Stick butter melted in a frying pan.
2 cups pecan halves
4 tbsp granular splenda
2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Ground cinnamon-Quantity depends on your desire for flavor (more is better).
Cook until you start to smell the nuts brown stirring pretty constantly. Turn off fire and add the Splenda, mix well then add the vanilla extract. This will sizzle due to the alcohol then add the amount of cinnamon you desire. (I do it somewhat heavily)

I bake the cake in a pie pan so it looks more like pumpkin pie.

For Blueberry/lemon cheesecake:
I add a pint of fresh blueberries (frozen works fine too) and use 2 tbsp lemon extract instead of the vanilla. I bake it crustless in muffin pans for individual servings and serve each mini cheesecake topped with a scoop of vanilla CarbSmart.

For Cranberry/Orange w/ chocolate crust I swirl in this cranberry filling:
Cranberry Filling:
1.5 cups fresh cranberries
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup Fifty/50 Orange Marmalade
1/4 cup Splenda granular (or 6 packets)
put all ingredients except for Splenda in a saucepan. Cook on high flame until berries burst (abt 5 mins). Stir often. Continue cooking on low heat for an additional 10 mins, still stirring. Remove from flame and blend in Splenda. Refrigerate for a couple hours (This is also the recipe I use for turkey cranberry sauce except I use raspberry jam).

I also use orange extract in the cake instead of the vanilla or lemon.

And for the chocolate crust I do this:
1.5 cups almond flour
1/2 stick butter melted
4 TB unsweetened cocoa
4 TB Splenda granular
The blueberry is by far my FAVORITE followed closely by the pumpkin. But the Cranberry is good too! Like I said, our recipes are so similar that these variations should work.

Now what I'd LOVE to try next is a chocolate peanut butter swirl. Anyone try that?
  #105   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 12:49

BF:

Wow! Those sound like great variations . . . might have to try one soon! I have to make a pumpkin cheesecake for a potluck on Friday, but after that I'll try maybe the cranberry one. MMMMMM.