Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 16:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (modified)
Stats: 158/148/120
BF:
Progress: 26%

Well I guess I do what Toner does.
I do not eat veggies. I never have and never will. If I look at them I want to throw up. I have tried to eat them and I can't.

I technically am on the Atkins diet but with a few differences.
I eat meat for lunch and dinner. I have low carb bread I eat with the meals if I want. I drink water and diet ice tea. I will eat candy or cheesecake or a muffin to make up my 20 grams a day.

I use my 20 grams of carbs a day on what I want, not on veggies. I have lost 10 pounds in 7 days without exercising. I had my first workout at Curves today and plan on going there 3 times a week.

I do not plan on making this a way of life like many of you. To me this is a diet, the fastest way to lose some weight for the summer time.

Now don't get me wrong, if you want to live your life like this then that is awesome. I am chooseing not to.

I weight 148 pounds now and I don't look like I weight that much, I am in a size 7. I am on this diet to drop my pregnancy weight and to get back down to a size 1 or 3, 2 months probably on this diet.

I plan on sticking to eating low carb during the week at work, but there is no way I am not going to eat junk again and even potatoes and such. I plan on keeping it low during the week and eating what I want on the weekends. I will probably have to go to the gym 5 days a week, but that should keep my weight down.

That is what I am doing and I know a lot of people aren't going to agree with that. But that is what I am doing.

More power to Toner to do it the way he wants.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 15:48

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Yep...you'll probably lose weight, but don't kid yourself into thinking that getting your 20 grams of carbs from low carb junk food is healthy or doing your body any favors.
Vitamins can do some good, but they are not nearly the quality that you would get from eating veggies.
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 09:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/200/170
BF:
Progress: 27%
Smile

Hey Toner..there's nothing wrong with an occasional sweet treat...it's not the end of the world or your diet...actually I quite fancy an Aero myself!
  #94   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 10:25

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

Is Toner still around? I sure hope so! This thread was HILARIOUS! The funniest thing toner wrote was about him being 5'10 with black hair and blue eyes, which 'don't hurt either.' I was on the flooooor! Has to be some young, clever girl at her father's computer.

I'm not even going to comment on anything else that Toner said, except that Aero bars are these delicious chocolate bars that are full of air pocket bubbles, making it light. MMMMmmmmmm! Guess what, though, Toner, in case you're still around. I'm 5'8, and I lost 35 lbs. on low-carb going on 9 years ago, and all of it stayed off. I've had my fair share of chocolate bars since then, but never have I gorged! And I don't think I'll be starting any time soon.
  #95   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 15:01

Stats: 138/122/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
[I think the best approach to the Atkins diet is to treat it as a fast working diet to accomplish your weight goals, and then to switch to a truly healthy WOE, which includes low fat foods and moderate carbs. Basically, anything in moderation. Anyone who says they never have cravings is lying.

If you plan on staying on Atkins for the rest of your life, you need to do some more research about healthy ways of eating. High fat diets are bad for your heart. Look at ol' Atkins himself, barely made through his last heart attack. Be real folks. [/B]

I strongly disagree. Low Fat/High Carb is . The wrong way to go. Healthy eating to me is eating meats, veggies, and fruits and sticking to non processed foods. Natural foods are good for you.

I will stay Low Carb forever. Thank you very much!!!
  #96   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 12:20

Stats: 164/135/140 Female 5 4
BF:28%
Progress: 121%
Arrow Big Up Honesty!

I appreciated reading this thread, bc, let's face it, this is a very controversial plan & as many pros as there are, there are cons. While I don't condone insults, I do give Toner credit for expressing thoughts that many ppl may have, but are afraid to say! I applaud Holly for being totally honest here, f being pc, about why she's on (modified) Atkins. I hear ya! My weight was never a problem, I was always thin or well within a healthy weight. I have always been active, exercised 4X a week for 15+ years. I KNOW why I gained weight. It was snack foods. Too much chocolate, chips, cookies, microwave popcorn, desserts. All of that undisciplined snacking as though there was no tomorrow caught up with me & I needed to lose the excess pounds. This is the 1st time in my life I've ever dieted. I never restricted my eating before. When I stall, I know why - I'm not follwing it 100% to a T. I started this as a test, wanted to see whether it could work. This has been an interesting experiment for me. I crave sugar carbs, plain & simple, & it's wonderful (& challenging!) to have this knowledge about myself! I've learned a lot about health doing this plan, & I intend on always chosing the right carbs for me forever. For some, incorporating high carbs back into their life again may mean having some french fries again, but for me, right now, it's eating some chocolate (I LOVE Aero bars, eh! ) when I want without it meaning weight gain (read: the end of the world). While I may not be in the board majority with why I'm doing Atkins, I still can recognize what struggles & success this plan can bring.
  #97   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 15:42

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

just stumbled onto this thread.... don't have time to read it all, but I am wondering, did anyone point out to toner that the studies done by AHA or whoever that claim to show the ill effects of eating steak, cheese, mayonaise, etc. are in fact studies of high fat/high carb diets, not actually studies of high fat/LOW carb diets?

Atkins made the point over and over again that it's the carbs in those studies that are the culprit.

Take away the carbs, and the steak becomes harmless, and indeed, quite beneficial.

Ymu yum, pass the bernaise...
  #98   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 23:39

Stats: 320/320/160
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool the truth about fruits and vegetables

Just to clarify. Fruit....is a specific botancial term in plant anatomy. It is loosely defined as a part of a plant that surrounds the seeds...and its purpose is to distribute seeds for propgation purposes. A fruit can be a papery winged plant part....like a maple seed (helicopter), or a sweet fleshy thing....like a raspberry. For simplicity purposes, you can consider that plants we regularly eat as fruits if the are produced from the flower of a plant, and are not the seeds:

tomatoes--medium carb
peppers (hot & sweet)--low carb
eggplant--low carb
zucchini--low carb
green, wax beans--low carb
okra--low carb
watermelon--hi
muskmelon--hi
tomatillos--low
pears--hi
grapes--hi
apples--hi
strawberries, blueberries, raspberries--fairly low carb
many of these are very low carb!

the veggies, include plant parts that are not the "fruit", but could be the root, stem or leaves:

potatoes
sweet potatoes
radishes
spinach
greens (mustard, etc)
lettuce
celery
swiss chard
beets

Seeds: depending whether nutrients are stored as starch or fat determines carb levels:
corn--hi carb
wheat--hi carb
oats--hi carb
flax--low carb
walnuts--low
pecans--low
macademia-low
hazelnut--low
brazil--low
almond--low
peanut--medium low

So....don't get hung up!