Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 02:33

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default How the keto diet helped Amy Van Dyken-Rouen after paralysis in ATV accident

Quote:
USA Today
August 8, 2018

How the keto diet helped Amy Van Dyken-Rouen after paralysis in ATV accident

Amy Van Dyken-Rouen, American former competitive swimmer, national radio sports talk show co-host and motivational speaker, doesn’t even hesitate when asked whether it was easier to win six Olympic gold medals or to recover from her 2014 spinal cord injury.

“Being a swimming champion was way easier,” she said. “It was hard work, but everybody loves you. Your face is on the Wheaties box, the milk ad. Then all of the sudden you get injured, and ... your challenges are putting on shoes when your feet are too swollen.”

Four years ago, Van Dyken-Rouen was in an ATV accident that left her with a traumatic brain injury and a severed spinal cord. “When (my husband) Tom found me and rolled me over, I was seizing. Flight for Life was more worried about my head injury than they were about my back.”

She woke up in the hospital confused, reeling and paralyzed from the waist down. “I don’t remember a lot of things. It was hard for me for a really long time to put a sentence together. I had to go to speech therapy. Even up until a year ago, I didn’t think I could get back in radio again because I couldn’t think of words.”

In addition to the psychological challenge of coming to terms with her injuries, she had to battle the searing, constant nerve pain that affects some paraplegics – pain that she says “feels like someone is trying to stretch my skin off my bones -- like I’m standing in a fire. And that’s all day, every day.”

Van Dyken-Rouen fought through years of physical therapy and medication changes; finally, her pain began to somewhat decrease, thanks to a combination of medications that saved her from unbearable pain but also caused swelling, a 50-pound weight gain and fatigue that had her sleeping 14 to 16 hours a day.

Endlessly optimistic and driven, Van Dyken-Rouen began looking for a solution. What she found was the ketogenic diet.

“I found out about it at my husband’s dear friend’s wedding. I was sitting with his sister and she was like, ‘I don’t crave sweets.’ I started listening to her. I’m Dutch, and all we do is crave sweets. It’s our big thing. She started talking about the keto diet and how it would give me energy and help me lose weight.

“I went back home, did a bunch of research, found a bunch of cool people, and I said, ‘I’m going to go for it.’ And here we are, one year later, and it’s amazing. It’s everything that she said it would be.”

'It has helped everything'

Van Dyken-Rouen credits a lot of the improvement to her mental clarity, energy and even body image to the keto diet. “You’ve got to find a way to make your life as awesome as you can make it,” she said. “That’s why I’m glad I found this diet. It has helped everything.”

The keto diet is the latest trendy eating plan -- hailed by the likes of Halle Berry and Kim Kardashian -- but it's also backed by research. According to Healthline, the low-carb, high-fat diet tricks your body into the metabolic process of ketosis, in which it begins efficiently burning fat.

Proponents of the diet say there’s evidence it supplies energy to the brain, cuts down fatigue and controls blood sugar and insulin levels -- and Van Dyken-Rouen says she’s gotten all of those results and more.

“Being on the keto diet has absolutely helped me with my cognitive ability,” she said. “I can remember words; I can hold a conversation. I will remember your name and this conversation in 30 minutes. It really has helped me with all of that. My long-term memory is amazing and short-term memory is getting better.”

The keto diet also helped Van Dyken-Rouen to regain control and confidence.
“I always wondered why a lot of people in wheelchairs wear long pants,” she says. “The first year or so, I’d wear shorts and have no problem. As you start to lose your muscle mass, it does become hard to look at, and that was hard for me. Now I wear shorts again, I don’t care. Now I feel fantastic. And it’s not just because of the weight loss. I’ve just realized that every person at their own weight is a beautiful human. Just because I sit down doesn’t make me any less attractive than what I was before.”

Evangelizing the benefits of keto

Van Dyken-Rouen wants to spread the word about the keto diet and often posts videos on her YouTube channel about her journey.

“Here’s my thought: If you’re having any problems like this -- you want to lose weight, you don’t have energy -- what is trying for a month going to do? It’s not going to hurt anything. It’s scary at first to look at the fat you have to eat, but once you get over that, if you feel great, awesome! If you don’t like it after a month, you can go back to the standard American diet, which is fine. But if it does work, and you’ve found something that changes your life, it would be sad if you didn’t give it a shot.”

Looking back on the past four years since her accident, Van Dyken-Rouen doesn’t see the barriers or remember the pain as much as she sees progress and growth.

"When you work hard and you treat your body right, in my situation, you feel better about yourself. The winning is a lifelong thing. You have a better attitude. You’re more fun to be around. You’re getting your life back, not just a piece of metal.”

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/...dent/935833002/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 06:21

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
The keto diet is the latest trendy eating plan -- hailed by the likes of Halle Berry and Kim Kardashian -- but it's also backed by research. According to Healthline, the low-carb, high-fat diet tricks your body into the metabolic process of ketosis, in which it begins efficiently burning fat.

This is definitely a positive article about how the ketogenic diet can be therapeutic in many different ways. However I find the above sentences irritating. Why not call it a diet that is popular now instead of using the word "trendy" that generally is used to minimize things and also the body is not "tricked" into using fat as fuel. The body works as it is designed to do, to use fat as a fuel when it is not overloaded with carbs. One could say that the body is tricked into using glucose as a fuel when glucose is over provided and fats unnaturally limited. Language matter.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 09:12

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Why not call it a diet that is popular now instead of using the word "trendy" that generally is used to minimize things and also the body is not "tricked" into using fat as fuel.

Why not just say it is scientifically sound?!?!?

Admit you were wrong!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 10:24

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Tricked the body caught my attention too!
It's not a trick, it's nourishing the body they way it needs to be.
Poor choice of words or intentional because of the author's disbelief, who knows.