Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 12:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/220/160
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default tuna patties

how do you make tuna patties???sounds good!!
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 14:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/140/135 Female 67"
BF:19.3%
Progress: 93%

I said earlier in my reply that I keep my carbs at about 10 or 12 a day, but everyone is different. I have lost 65 pounds so far and have 9 more to go to reach my goal. I stalled after about a 30 pound loss, so my doctor gave me Xenical. It prevents your body from absorbing 30% of fat that you eat at each meal. It got me off the plateau and has worked ever since. It's almost like watching your calories/fat, but your not. The last 15 are coming off slowly, about 2 pounds a month, but atleast it's moving. Maybe you should give this a try. I tried Xenical without diet and it didn't work, but combined with Atkins, it works great. If all else fails, cut your carbs to almost nothing. If that doesn't work, then maybe this isn't the diet for you. Sounds like you enjoyed your vacation!! I did the same thing on a cruise last year, but wasn't so lucky, I gained 5 pounds by the time I got home!!
  #153   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 07:29
Registered Member

Stats: 156/149/130
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hey guys!

I'm still here, and still at about 154ish. I'm different every time I get on the scale, but that's about the average.

I'm not much in the way of eating calories I don't think. I'm probably in the right range, but I don't count, because I'm just too lazy! I eat meat for lunch and dinner every day. usually some veggies for either one meal or the other, eggs and such for breakfast, and then I eat some cheese (usually grated, on my veggies, or a bit in a salad, if that's what I'm eating that day) and I also eat a bit of mayo, or salad dressing, cream cheese or sour cream.

I've tried it all with switching the foods around in this diet. Lots of veggies, very few veggies, nuts and peanut butter, no nuts and peanut butter. I have yet to find the right mix for me.

When I was away, and eating like a glutton, I surprisingly didn't feel all that horrible. Not really surprising that I didn't get the reaction I would have expected, but since my body's not reacting as it should to the diet, I'm not surprised really that it's not reacting as you'd think with the carb loaded foods either. It just plain old isn't working!

as for the person who asked me for the tuna ptties ingredients...here's the link. And they do rock, they're fabulous! I love them!!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...?threadid=40118

hopefully that'll work for ya!

later dudes!

O
  #154   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 07:35

Stats: 189/159/145 Female 63 inches
BF:40%/39%/low
Progress: 68%
Default MAYBE

You know... I'm not much at WRITING IT DOWN either... I DO keep track though.
I bet if you used fitday at least for a while, to track what you're eating...
the scale may start moving (and you find that you're not eating exactly what you think you are (whether more or less).

What about your measurements? Are they changing??
  #155   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 09:55

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

Hi Ouch

Acohn, who posts on this forum and another I visit, put in a post that her sister was having no success at all with low-carb and picked up a book on eating according to your metabolic type. I guess the sister had great success after trying that, while Acohn has been successful with low carb. Just a thought . PP has worked so well for me, I can't imagine it not working for everyone - but as we know (or should) we're all different and what works for one is not guaranteed to work for another. If you want to get that book from the library or something a scope it out, let me know and I'll find the exact book she referred to.

Glad to know you're hanging in there . Keep us posted!
  #156   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 14:51

Plan: considering SPP
Stats: 145//130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 36%
Smile I'm inspired

I found Shannonlea's post so inspiring. I'm trying to make this a lifestyle change, but am wondering if I'll be faithful. This really encouraged me. That's why I love the support this site offers!
  #157   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 20:11

Plan: LC
Stats: 189/151/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default I'll admit it...

I am a total and complete scale addict. I have been doing this for three weeks and just finally started losing lb's a few days ago. Although my pants are looser and I have WAY more energy than before, the lb's just weren't going away, and It drove me crazy. I have my scale right next to the enterance to my kitchen so I think of my weight before I eat. I have friends that tell me to throw the darn thing away, that it will only hinder my progress through discouragment....something to think about. For now I am completely hooked on checking daily to see if my efforts are paying off, or if it's just my wacky female body adding and letting go of different amounts of water each day.

I'm still not convinced that this diet will work, but I'm not ready to give up yet...

Hang in there...
  #158   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 08:24
Registered Member

Stats: 156/149/130
BF:
Progress: 27%

Shadow...

yes buddy, I am interested. in maybe trying a different approach. whatever you can find out would be great.

I'm still on this WOE, and I'm still not changing physically.

My measurements are the same as January, as is my weight...the only thing that's changed, is my grocery bill!

I cannot change my physical appearance! I've stuck to this thing like glue.

O
  #159   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 10:51

BF:

Hi, ouch ! I'll search for that book and let you know as soon as I find it. Just promise you'll stay in touch - I'd be dying of curiosity if I couldn't follow your progress! And I'd miss you
  #160   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 13:17
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Ouch, It could be you need a different plan. I know people that Atkins worked for and others it didn't. I had candida and did an anti-candida plan (very low carb) and lost 15 lbs. in 3 mo and stalled. I switched to Schwartzbein Principle and feel better than I have in years and have lost 3lbs in 3 weeks and my body shape is changing. Losing inches without much exercise (it's too cool ) According to Dr. S, if your body thinks it's starving, it won't let go of the body fat you have to save itself. Maybe eating Atkins, you're not getting something you need. This plan you eat protein amounts acording to what you weigh and adjust as you get smaller and carbs according to your level of activity. It's structured so you eat balanced meals at regular intervals and you're not hungry!!! You can eat fruit and grains, just the good ones and not a lot. I love this plan and am staying with it forever. It's a very good book. The Schwartzbein Principle II the transition. Hope this helps.

Liz
  #161   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 14:35

BF:

Ouch, I think I found it. It wasn't Acohn but Moe that posted it. I found this at eatprotein.com (the PP website) but I could have sworn I saw a reference to it on this forum. Anyway, below are some things she said about it. Let me know if you get the book - I've been interested in it and thinking of getting a copy for myself just to see what it says .

"If you try this and it works quickly I'd say stick to it, if it doesn't then I would suggest you getting your hands on the metabolic typing diet by william wolcott and trish fahey. PP is for me and if it is consitent with your metabolism I think you are one of the lucky ones. The food to me is by far better than any other diet out there, but if you aren't getting the results you think you should then I think some education can help a lot. This book really opened my eyes and helped my sister who I had sold on PP and who ate exactly what I did and stayed fat while I got skinnier every day. (Now that was mean even if my intentions were good.) She is doing great on Barry Sears Zone now."

"You might want to get a hold of the metabolic typing diet book by William wolcott and trish fahey. If nothing else it will let you know if this diet IS going to be right for you. It has a test in it and 12 other tests to keep tweaking your diet until you get results."

Wouldn't you know - I just came across Acohn's post - it's here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...light=metabolic

HTH! Let us know what you decide!

Last edited by Shadow01 : Tue, May-27-03 at 14:38.
  #162   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 16:11
Registered Member

Plan: dr.atkins
Stats: 205/197.5/160
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hello everyone, I know this is going to sound dumb to some of you out there, but I don't know so Im going to ask, what is pilates? I want to try every exercise I can but im not quite sure what pilates are? !! Thank you for the help.

Good Luck to all!!

Jo
  #163   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 16:27

BF:

Jo: I don't know much about pilates other than Joseph Pilates came up with a system many years ago using slow, controlled movements to tone the body. It's something dancers have used for years, especially ballet dancers. The focus is on quality, not quantity. I've not watched my tape much (I have a beginner tape but don't have the patience to listen to all the instructions) but you work on the form or position you're to be in and then only do a couple of each move. I think it's very good for core strengthening and long, elongated muscle toning. I think there are machines that are used, too, as well as "free form" exercises. I've heard a lot of people try it specifically to tone the abs. Have you searched on the exercise forum? Don't know if anyone there is doing it or not. Worth a try though.
  #164   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 16:52

BF:

Ouch - are you still here ? Hope you're doing ok!
  #165   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 09:38

Stats: 150/150/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Angry not losing weight!

I am having a problem losing as well, although not to the extreme (yet) that ouch has. Today is the end of my second week of induction and I haven't lost even 1 pound. I know I'm in ketosis, however, because I purchased a package of lipolysis testing strips and the test is dark purple every day. I feel that I am losing inches although I haven't measured. My belly is a little smaller I think. I know you all don't believe in weighing yourself every day, and I haven't been. I've never been one to pay much attention to the scale. BUT - to see those numbers dropping would really keep my motivation up.

I'm going to outline my recent history and if you all would be so kind, I'd like your feedback and ideas on what could be causing my inability to shed pounds:

I put this weight on while undergoing chemotherapy last year. Contrary to what you may have heard, modern chemo treatments most likely will cause weight gain, not weight loss. Drugs given to combat nausea stimulate appetite. Chemotherapy will also cause women my age (44) to start menopause, which I have. Also during this time, I went on Zoloft for depression. I quit taking Zoloft right before I went on induction.

Every day I take 200 mg. chromium every day plus a multivitamin and 900 mg St. John's Wort.

Here's what I ate yesterday - this is pretty typical:
Breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled in olive oil with 1 oz. cream cheese and 2 tbsp. smoked salmon, plus a little fresh dill

Lunch - One of those Atkins' bars (because I was on the go yesterday during lunch

snack - 1 Atkins' strawberry shake

Dinner - 6 oz. of scallops mixed with 1/4 cup of pesto, 2 tblsp of olive oil, a little fresh lemon peel and parsley and 4 cherry tomatoes. Also had a salad made with 2 cups salad veggies with vinegar and olive oil dressing & 1 tbsp. feta cheese.

Also, last night I had 1/3 cup blackberries with a little splenda sprinkled over them and about 2 tbsp. heavy cream poured over the top.

I have LOADS of energy since I started this diet. I haven't been exercising regularly but this past week, we've been moving our office at work to a new location & we completed the move without the hlep of movers - so this week I've had lots of lifting, carrying and walking associated with the move.

Sorry this is such a long post, but you all have been so supportive of ouch with your many good ideas, that I hoped you would all take a look at my situation and see what you think -

Any ideas?