Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-14, 15:03
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%
Default Beating the odds!

I heard some statistics the other day claiming that 97% of all people who lose 100 lbs or more regain all of their lost weight with interest. I am very thankful that--for 14 years now--I have beaten those odds, thanks to low-carb. There have been ups and downs but I have far from ever gained back the 100 lbs I lost.

Let's stick together and continue to beat the odds!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-14, 15:31

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mio1996
I heard some statistics the other day claiming that 97% of all people who lose 100 lbs or more regain all of their lost weight with interest. I am very thankful that--for 14 years now--I have beaten those odds, thanks to low-carb. There have been ups and downs but I have far from ever gained back the 100 lbs I lost.

YAY!!! Excellent work! I think it is SO HEARTBREAKING when people who have LOST weight gain it all back. I've done it once. Got down to a very acceptable 116 and only stayed there for about a year.

For sure, there are two common reasons for it. The first, is most people don't know what "maintenance" is SUPPOSED to look like... they just go back to eating the old way (whatever way it was that made them overweight to begin with). Or, they "reward themselves" with treats (again, whatever they may be) that caused their problem in the first place. (That's what I did)

The second big reason why I think people fail is related to maintenance... I think MANY, even MOST people who lose weight, especially lose BIG numbers, managed to do so only by drastic, unsustainable measures. SO, once they reach the "magic number", they just give in to cravings, and hunger. It's possible to "starve" and be hungry ALL THE TIME and to lose weight- but it's almost impossible to keep yourself hungry, on purpose, indefinitely. Especially since (most of us on this board) we all live in the land of plenty! There is food EVERYWHERE 24/7. Our problems of overweight are very much a developed countries problem. (not to mention the Sugar-Corn-Flour-Fest that IS processed food)

ANyway, I am just THRILLED THRILLED THRILLED because I KNOW that I am going to keep this "diet" (again, just the entire collection of food I eat) FOREVER. I KNOW that SUGAR and high glycemic carbs are my enemy, but the beautiful thing is, I don't NEED them! I have my butter and my red meat. I have my green veggies and my nuts. I have my whip cream and my eggs. I am so INCREDIBLY SATIATED eating this way, that even though I will ALWAYS love dumplings and fries and French pastries, I can say "no thanks" and walk away with not a lot of effort.

HFLC is the ONLY way to eat.

I hope to have your longterm success! Congratulations, and keep up the awesome work!

Jammie
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-14, 18:27
Glutton for Grease!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamackarch
YAY!!! Excellent work! I think it is SO HEARTBREAKING when people who have LOST weight gain it all back. I've done it once. Got down to a very acceptable 116 and only stayed there for about a year.

For sure, there are two common reasons for it. The first, is most people don't know what "maintenance" is SUPPOSED to look like... they just go back to eating the old way (whatever way it was that made them overweight to begin with). Or, they "reward themselves" with treats (again, whatever they may be) that caused their problem in the first place. (That's what I did)

The second big reason why I think people fail is related to maintenance... I think MANY, even MOST people who lose weight, especially lose BIG numbers, managed to do so only by drastic, unsustainable measures. SO, once they reach the "magic number", they just give in to cravings, and hunger. It's possible to "starve" and be hungry ALL THE TIME and to lose weight- but it's almost impossible to keep yourself hungry, on purpose, indefinitely. Especially since (most of us on this board) we all live in the land of plenty! There is food EVERYWHERE 24/7. Our problems of overweight are very much a developed countries problem. (not to mention the Sugar-Corn-Flour-Fest that IS processed food)

ANyway, I am just THRILLED THRILLED THRILLED because I KNOW that I am going to keep this "diet" (again, just the entire collection of food I eat) FOREVER. I KNOW that SUGAR and high glycemic carbs are my enemy, but the beautiful thing is, I don't NEED them! I have my butter and my red meat. I have my green veggies and my nuts. I have my whip cream and my eggs. I am so INCREDIBLY SATIATED eating this way, that even though I will ALWAYS love dumplings and fries and French pastries, I can say "no thanks" and walk away with not a lot of effort.

I hope to have your longterm success! Congratulations, and keep up the awesome work!

Jammie

Well said and thanks, Jammie! You can do it too!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-14, 10:40
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mio1996

I'm very happy to see you back with us, Matthew!!

14 yrs, wow! I'm at about 9 yrs now and I still haven't gained back 100 lbs either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie

For you! Not for all of us. There are many levels of low carb that offer us success. Mine is clearly not vlc and high fat.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-14, 18:14
Glutton for Grease!

It is good to see you again too, Judy, I am glad you are doing so well!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-14, 08:09
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

there has to be SOMEONE to beat the odds! I think the idea that to maintain you have to continue on your plan is key- and you are all doing it!
So glad you posted this- thank you!
E
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-14, 08:10
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
there has to be SOMEONE to beat the odds! I think the idea that to maintain you have to continue on your plan is key- and you are all doing it!
So glad you posted this- thank you!
E

Hey Eno!

WE are all doing it!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-14, 16:54
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Thanks Judy!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-14, 05:07

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

I am as determined to beat those odds, once I reach maintenance, as I've been to reach maintenance
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-14, 07:04

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:

Congratulations to all you long-term maintainers. I'm a mere newbie at 4 years but for me that's like a miracle, as 4 weeks would have been an unusual achievement in the past.

I have only personally known one seriously obese person who lost a huge amount of weight. He did it about 9 years ago using Atkins and Pilates. Honestly, he looked like an entirely different person - incredibly, and surprisingly, handsome. Even other men at work commented on it and his boss was also full of admiration and said "what tremendous determination". Well, we both left the company and went our separate ways until we met up again 5 years later. He had gained back all the weight. Yes, it absolutely broke my heart. I think of him often during my own maintenance journey. We've lost touch again so I don't know but I like to imagine he lost it all a second time.