Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 17:47
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%
Thumbs up "Meat"ball Stuffed Peppers (Vegetarian)

These were really good for being experimental!

My b/f doesn't eat meat, hence the TVP, but I'm sure ground beef would work just as well - with obvious difference in preparation, of course. There would be fewer carbs and more protein and fat that way.

1 cup water
1 Tbsp chopped onion
1 tsp oregano, or to taste
touch of basil
1 cup TVP
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1 egg
2 green peppers
1/2 cup tomato sauce - a thinner sauce works best.

Preheat oven to 400. Bring water, onion, and spices to a boil. Add TVP, remove from heat, cover, let stand 8-10 min. Remove tops of peppers. Beat egg, add cheese. Add TVP mixture. Mix well. Stuff into peppers. Pour sauce into baking dish. Add peppers. Cover with foil, bake 30-40 min. Enjoy!

Each pepper *without* the tomato sauce, since brands vary: 240 cal, 7 g fat, 25 g protein, 14 g effective carbs, 8 grams of fiber.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-06, 11:52

Plan: Atkins Modified
Stats: 285/256/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hello, I am not familiar with the term TVP. Could you please explain what it means. I came upon this recipe looking for a meat stuffed bell pepper. Thanks.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-06, 19:06
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Hi Kristine,

Thanks for the recipe. It looks delicious!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-06, 19:08
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Irico,

TVP stands for textured vegetable protein. You can find it in the refrigerated vegetable section or the health food section of your grocery store.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 15:05

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I can get (dehydrated) at our bulk food warehouse.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-04-06, 05:43

Plan: Atkins Modified
Stats: 285/256/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 21%

Thanks fluffybear!!!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-06, 10:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/216/150 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrico
Hello, I am not familiar with the term TVP. Could you please explain what it means. I came upon this recipe looking for a meat stuffed bell pepper. Thanks.

I wasn't either, but see her explanation further down. I have a recipe for meat stuffed bell pepper - will go copy it for you - brb.

Ok, I made this up, but have done it several times - feeds a LOT
Low-Carb Stuffed Bell Peppers

1 smallish Cauliflower, cooked tender and chopped fine
6 - Large Green Bell Peppers (or 8 smaller)
2 Tbls butter
2 Tbls Olive Oil
1 Whole medium yellow onion, chopped
2 Celery Ribs, chopped
4 Garlic cloves, chopped
2-3 Tsp dried Parsley, or 2 Tbls fresh, chopped
1/2 tsp black pepper
1-1/2 tsp Seasoned Salt
1-1/2 tsp Oregano
1 Tbls + Worcestershire sauce
2-1/2 lbs ground beef
1 - 14 oz can Diced Tomatoes – sugar-free
1 - 14 oz can Tomato Sauce – sugar-free
1/2 Cup Mexican Salsa, Hot, Medium or Mild - up to you
2 eggs, beaten

Boil the cauliflower til tender, drain, cool, and chop fine.

Cut the tops off of the Bell Peppers, remove seeds and membranes. Chop fine the edible parts of tops. Wash peppers and place, cut side up, in glass baking dish so they're almost touching. Pour about an inch of water in bottom of dish and in bottom of peppers, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave on high for 8-9 minutes (microwave temps vary) til almost tender. Drain and set aside in baking dish, still covered so they don't dry out.
(I have made this without precooking the bell peppers and it still works out, just bake in the oven til they are as tender as you want them.)

In a deep fry pan, sweat chopped onion, celery and bell pepper tops in olive oil and butter for about 10-15 minutes on med/low. Add the garlic the last 3 or 4 minutes. Do not brown, saute just til tender. Transfer to sauce pot or bowl and set aside.

Now brown the ground beef in same fry pan, constantly stirring to eliminate 'chunks' - a wooden fork is good for this. Turn off heat. Drain grease out of meat. Add sauteed veggies back into meat. Add the chopped cauliflower. Add Seasoned Salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly, let mixture cool a little.

Beat two eggs, using the pan or bowl that held the sauteed veggies, and add the Worcestershire sauce, the Oregano and the Parsley to the egg mixture. Pour over meat and work the egg mixture thoroughly into the meat. Combine the Tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and Salsa (in same saucepan or bowl). Pour half into the meat mixture. Mix thoroughly.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using the same baking pan you microwaved the bell pepper shells in, spoon the meat mixture into pepper shells, making mounds on top if necessary, to use all the meat. Pour balance of tomato sauce mixture over all and bake for about 45 minutes.

Serves 6 - 8. (And you only dirtied 3 pans......:-))