Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 07:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/174/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
One other thought. If you are doing induction based on the Atkins website, that's NOT Atkins induction.

Take a look at the first couple pages of the Atkins '72 Hardcore thread.

They contain the information about the REAL Atkins induction. The people in that thread have been eating at induction levels for a LONG time, and their results show it.

The Atkins website does, IMO, more harm than good, being a very poor imitation of Dr. Atkins' advice, and pimping their nasty, processed to make you want more products.

Hi MickiSue,

Where is the thread?

I will not eat anyone's bars, shakes, packaged meals etc. I'm eating organic and wild eggs, fish, meat, greens, and induction veggies, butter, coconut oil and a handful of nuts. I am counting net carbs though. Is that ok on original Atkins? I can eat this way forever, but it's essentially a maintenance plan, which is a bummer.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 07:59

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Here you go, mpl: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=474032

The rules are right on the first couple pages.

Nuts are no noes for induction, and the type of veggies matters, too.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 08:18
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Here you go, mpl: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=474032

The rules are right on the first couple pages.

Nuts are no noes for induction, and the type of veggies matters, too.

Ok. Thanks.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-16, 14:25

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 184.4/134.6/135 Female 5'3"
BF:32.8/23.9
Progress: 101%

Since I posted I have continued to lose daily. Point is your body needs time to understand how you are nourishing it now. It is different, it does not trust you right now, but it will. And when it does you will be back on track. Weight loss is not linear, it comes in spurts.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-16, 06:42
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enaid
Since I posted I have continued to lose daily. Point is your body needs time to understand how you are nourishing it now. It is different, it does not trust you right now, but it will. And when it does you will be back on track. Weight loss is not linear, it comes in spurts.

I'm glad your seeing results again!! I am so envious. My problem is that I have not seen any At all yet.

I just returned from a week of vacation and stayed completely on plan. Did not gain weight and ate at delicious restaurants. Like I said this is a terrific maintenance plan for me. Unfortunately it looks like I need either a nearly no carb like the folk at the Atkins72 thread (I'm at 20 net carbs right now) or intermittent fasting to actually lose fat/weight. Not too excited about either (I love my veggies).

I'm nearly 7 weeks in ketosis now, tested by blood levels, still the same weight and inches. Sigh.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-16, 08:23

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Mpl, you may have mentioned this before, but a) how old are you and b) are you on any meds?

Around menopause, with the spikes and troughs of hormones, a lot of women take longer to start losing with LCHF. But they do lose, and they don't gain.

Any medication can interfere with your ability to lose, some more than others. Or, a lack of medication, for example, an undiagnosed condition like hypothyroid, will make losing weight particularly challenging, as a slow thyroid slows down the metabolism and leads to depression symptoms and lack of energy to move.

Right around the time I turned 50, I joined a web program called ediets.com. I followed it faithfully, day after day for three months. In the first month, I lost 10 lbs. In the second two, I gained 12.

I've been a wellness coach for 15 years, now, and even with all the conventional wisdom that I learned throughout my adult life, I was unable to lose more than a few pounds by following the best conventional program I knew of. By eliminating grains, potatoes and sweets, I managed to lose 20. But then, I got stuck, and, by dropping total carbs to under 20/day, I have lost another 12, and am only 7 lbs from the goal I'd come to believe I'd never make.

But. This is over the course of three years. I would try, if I were you, to stick to 20 or fewer total carbs/day, and give it a good month. See what happens.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-16, 11:14
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Mpl, you may have mentioned this before, but a) how old are you and b) are you on any meds?

Around menopause, with the spikes and troughs of hormones, a lot of women take longer to start losing with LCHF. But they do lose, and they don't gain.

Any medication can interfere with your ability to lose, some more than others. Or, a lack of medication, for example, an undiagnosed condition like hypothyroid, will make losing weight particularly challenging, as a slow thyroid slows down the metabolism and leads to depression symptoms and lack of energy to move.

Right around the time I turned 50, I joined a web program called ediets.com. I followed it faithfully, day after day for three months. In the first month, I lost 10 lbs. In the second two, I gained 12.

I've been a wellness coach for 15 years, now, and even with all the conventional wisdom that I learned throughout my adult life, I was unable to lose more than a few pounds by following the best conventional program I knew of. By eliminating grains, potatoes and sweets, I managed to lose 20. But then, I got stuck, and, by dropping total carbs to under 20/day, I have lost another 12, and am only 7 lbs from the goal I'd come to believe I'd never make.

But. This is over the course of three years. I would try, if I were you, to stick to 20 or fewer total carbs/day, and give it a good month. See what happens.

Hi MickiSue,

Your posts are always so encouraging and enlightening!

I am on nothing except for lisinopril for high bp, which actually is coming down a bit and I hope one of the benefits from lc is that I can go off of it eventually.

I hit menopause about 8 years ago. I had my thyroid checked as a 12 year old because I gained about 10 pounds with puberty and my very appearance-obsessed young parents freaked. Everything checked out. I now feel terrific, look forward to walking 3 miles a day (1.5 miles to work and another 1.5 miles back), so doubt it is a thyroid issue, but I could get certainly get it checked.

I am so impressed with your progress! I'll definitely try to stay under 20 carbs and give it a month. Not sure what else to try, and except fort the lack of weight/inches progress, this WOE is awesome.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-16, 12:13

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 100%

I just got out of hospital after surgery to remove ovaries and tubes. It was a difficult surgery due to internal scarring from previous hysterectomy. My poor tummy is swollen but slowly coming right. Good health is paramount and making the effort to lose excess weight has - I believe - helped me. Ovarian Cancer can be a death sentence but the surgeons have told me that they got everything and that the lab tests will take 2 weeks to come back. I am very relieved that the surgeons got everything and I am now taking daily herbal anti cancer supplements until I get the results. I have yet to step on the scales post surgery but will when the swelling recedes. ☺
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-16, 06:42
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

I just had a full hysterectomy on 9/6 and although my weight is down a bit I must still be swollen because none of my fitted pants fit. I hope that changes because my work uniforms will hurt me when I have to go back next week.
I am worried about having a weight gain since the surgery will push me into menopause.
In a few weeks I go to my new primary dr to check hormone, thyroid, and vitamin levels. She is concerned because I have been under 20 carbs for a long time and under 1200 calories, sometimes under 1000 and have a ridiculously active job (average 18000 steps a day and lift 25-75 pound cases 1296 times a day.) by the way I am afraid to go back to full duty so soon but my surgeon is convinced that lifting 75 pounds over my head is fine as long as I don't bear down. I have no choice in the matter, so wish me luck.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-16, 13:46

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:

Liddie01, My normal STRETCH pants are still uncomfortable. It will be a few more weeks before I attempt to wear my old levis which are extremely close fitting. I am now 4 days post surgery and have been told to be patient. Coughing and sneezing are not options, nor is laughing!
Forgot to mention my surgery was keyhole surgery, at my insistence. The surgeons wanted blanket permission to cut me from navel to crotch and I said to abandon surgery if incision was necessary. (I had to be prepared for advanced OC and was not keen on invasive surgery to get cancer that had already spread).
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-18, 15:17

Stats: 237/215/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Although this thread has been around a while, I felt compelled to respond. I hope all are continuing to pursue this program. I am new to this, started May 18, 2018. I do believe the Atkins web site may advertise too much of their products and not enough on the program. Atkins original plan (look for an older book) starts with lower than 20 carbs. We are all different, but for some to start at 20 carbs may be too much. It was not until I went down to 5-7 carbs a day did I start loosing, but not very quickly. My sister started at the same time and has lost more than me while eating more carbs. But we are both committed to this lifestyle, mine just needs to be a little stricter, at least for now.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-18, 04:07

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:

Hi, BobbieLee. Welcome to the forums. I'm glad you found a food plan that works well for you.

I have to be more strict than some others, too. And my food plan is more strict than it was a few years ago. Even with aging, it is still a relief to live LC.

Best wishes to you.