Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 12:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/174/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Default Anyone able to tell me an encouraging tale about a 50+ old LCer who had slow start?

I've been on induction phase and in ketosis for 5 weeks without dropping a pound. Hoping there is some one out there who had a similar slow start but eventually saw results. Anyone?!? Not losing inches either.)

Mpl16
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 18:53

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Mpl: have you been paying attention to your volume of intake? Are you on any meds?

Diabetic? Any other health issues?

Any or all of the above can impact our ability to lose weight.

Dr Atkins said to eat when hungry, stop when not hungry. For many of us, that means eating a whole lot less frequently than when we ate a lot of carbs.

And eating when you are NOT hungry can contribute to staying where you are.

OTOH, have you been measuring? Are your clothes feeling looser, your face thinner? Many times this WOE will allow us to build muscle and lose fat, but in equal weights, so, while the scale hasn't moved, our size has shrunk.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 21:04

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I usually do lose weight during induction because I retain a lot of water, and that's mostly what I lose. When I was in my early 50s and still in the throws of peri/actual menopause I didn't lose any weight after that initial loss -- not for 3 months. I was in ketosis every day and I kept strictly under 20 carbs (basically stayed in ketosis).

Now that I am through menopause, I am having more success -- maybe because my hormones are more stable. But I have had to incorporate intermittent fasting with ketosis in order to lose weight. I've also lowered my protein intake and increased my fat moderately.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-16, 07:37
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Mpl: have you been paying attention to your volume of intake? Are you on any meds?

Diabetic? Any other health issues?

Any or all of the above can impact our ability to lose weight.

Dr Atkins said to eat when hungry, stop when not hungry. For many of us, that means eating a whole lot less frequently than when we ate a lot of carbs.

And eating when you are NOT hungry can contribute to staying where you are.

OTOH, have you been measuring? Are your clothes feeling looser, your face thinner? Many times this WOE will allow us to build muscle and lose fat, but in equal weights, so, while the scale hasn't moved, our size has shrunk.

Thanks mickisue,
The tape measure is not snugging up either unfortunately. I have no health issues other than high bp. I don't eat unless I'm hungry although I'm still learning about fullness and stopping.

Just frustrated that so many seem to lose so effortlessly once they start lc -- I am so committed to this and would like to see even modest results.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-16, 07:43
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeyster
I usually do lose weight during induction because I retain a lot of water, and that's mostly what I lose. When I was in my early 50s and still in the throws of peri/actual menopause I didn't lose any weight after that initial loss -- not for 3 months. I was in ketosis every day and I kept strictly under 20 carbs (basically stayed in ketosis).

Now that I am through menopause, I am having more success -- maybe because my hormones are more stable. But I have had to incorporate intermittent fasting with ketosis in order to lose weight. I've also lowered my protein intake and increased my fat moderately.

Thanks for the response. Did you start losing fat after 3 mo in ketosis or did you have to do IF in order to do so? What is 23:1 -- 23 hours of fasting 3 days a week?? I'm terrified of fasting based on extreme attempts when I was younger.

Your stats are so impressive and very inspiring! Thanks again for sharing.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-16, 08:12

The other big thing, which I didn't mention, due, apparently, to being brain dead...you have relatively little to lose.

You are starting out where many people work for a year or two to get to.

So, that can slow things down, considerably, as well. Kat's comment about the pokiness of weight loss during menopause rings true to me.

The only time I could lose, back then, was when I had an infection in my thyroid, and it was acting like I was severely hyperthyroid, including palpitations, tremors and losing half my hair.

Otherwise, even with the most excellent of standard, "healthy" diets, I just slowly gained from the age of about 47-60.

You are so smart to work at this NOW, when most women's sensitivity to carbs starts climbing.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-16, 16:04
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
The other big thing, which I didn't mention, due, apparently, to being brain dead...you have relatively little to lose.

You are starting out where many people work for a year or two to get to.

So, that can slow things down, considerably, as well. Kat's comment about the pokiness of weight loss during menopause rings true to me.

The only time I could lose, back then, was when I had an infection in my thyroid, and it was acting like I was severely hyperthyroid, including palpitations, tremors and losing half my hair.

Otherwise, even with the most excellent of standard, "healthy" diets, I just slowly gained from the age of about 47-60.

You are so smart to work at this NOW, when most women's sensitivity to carbs starts climbing.

Hi MickySue,

Thanks for that. That infection sounds nasty!

I tried the original incarnation of Atkins as a teenager and promptly stopped having periods. Following that, I have used lf dies to yo-yo between 140 and 220 lbs for 30 or so years (mostly at the higher end of the yo you). In the last 8 years I've been maintaining my weight at 175 despite trying to lose on more moderate lf diets. 175 is definitely better that 220, and it looks like I have made this weight a real set point. I would still like to lose at least 15 pounds -- nothing terribly skinny for 5'4" -- but at least out of the obese range.

I was down a couple pounds this morning (probably water), but I'll take it. Feeling a bit more optimistic today and will be trying everyone's advice here.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-16, 17:55

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 100%

Mpl, I am 58 and it has taken since Dec 2012 (3.5 years) to lose 30 lbs or more. My start weight is a State Secret. Drinking wine every night with DH and eating too much were early errors, along with making sure no sneaky carbs were there.
Don't despair and once I got through menopause, the weight started coming off slowly. In fact I might change my goal post because I am on the weight loss bus until it stops.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-16, 18:39

Yeah, period irregularity is common with LCHF, because you are taking the fat out of your fat cells, and your estrogen levels need to adjust to a new, lower, amount of fat in the body.

Not enough to completely stop, of course, but enough to reset the meter, as it were.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-16, 22:16

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpl16
Thanks for the response. Did you start losing fat after 3 mo in ketosis or did you have to do IF in order to do so? What is 23:1 -- 23 hours of fasting 3 days a week?? I'm terrified of fasting based on extreme attempts when I was younger.

Your stats are so impressive and very inspiring! Thanks again for sharing.

To be honest, after being so strict after 3 months (really mostly in ketosis for 5 months) I was getting pretty frustrated and starting allowing in "just a few" extra carbs. Then I decided to have "just a couple" of chips, and then just "a taste" of refried beans (Mexican food is my thing). So I don't know how long I could have gone in ketosis without losing weight. It was the, "what the f*&k, I'm not losing any weight, so I might as well enjoy myself" trap. Anyway, it kind of went downhill from there where I was still relatively low carb, but even then I gain weight -- so I gained about 50 pounds in 5 years.

So now I'm willing to fast to get results. I think I'm in a better place overall, so I don't think I'll fall back into the "trap," but I'd still like to have the scale move in order to be motivated.

So what I did yesterday was have a normal low carb dinner. I ate late and stopped eating around 8:00 p.m. I got up in the morning and did some work while drinking a couple of cups of coffee with heavy whipping cream. I then left for the day and was just too busy to think about eating. Then I went to the gym to work out for an hour (a new thing for me), and got home about 5:30 p.m. I find that working out while fasting gives you a lot of energy -- just the opposite of what you would think. So about 7:00 I ate about 1/4 of an avocado to break my fast, then dinner at 8:00 -- so about 23 hours between food. So from the end of dinner the night before until the avocado I had no food and only water, coffee, and tea. I've been doing this for a few weeks now (about every other day) and I do not get very hungry at all. I might feel a slight wave of hunger, but just drinking some tea makes that go away (I especially like Good Earth spicy tea for this). It's kinda weird but I now look forward to fasting days -- I love how it feels to be so light and energetic. This type of fasting is not extreme and is actually quite healthy as long as you are in good health.

You can just try skipping breakfast to see what it feels like.

Kat
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-16, 12:32
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintaka
Mpl, I am 58 and it has taken since Dec 2012 (3.5 years) to lose 30 lbs or more. My start weight is a State Secret. Drinking wine every night with DH and eating too much were early errors, along with making sure no sneaky carbs were there.
Don't despair and once I got through menopause, the weight started coming off slowly. In fact I might change my goal post because I am on the weight loss bus until it stops.

Hi Mintaka,

I love the State Secret start weight! Thanks for the sharing your progress. Can't wait for the weight loss bus to pull out of the station!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-16, 12:34
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeyster
To be honest, after being so strict after 3 months (really mostly in ketosis for 5 months) I was getting pretty frustrated and starting allowing in "just a few" extra carbs. Then I decided to have "just a couple" of chips, and then just "a taste" of refried beans (Mexican food is my thing). So I don't know how long I could have gone in ketosis without losing weight. It was the, "what the f*&k, I'm not losing any weight, so I might as well enjoy myself" trap. Anyway, it kind of went downhill from there where I was still relatively low carb, but even then I gain weight -- so I gained about 50 pounds in 5 years.

So now I'm willing to fast to get results. I think I'm in a better place overall, so I don't think I'll fall back into the "trap," but I'd still like to have the scale move in order to be motivated.

So what I did yesterday was have a normal low carb dinner. I ate late and stopped eating around 8:00 p.m. I got up in the morning and did some work while drinking a couple of cups of coffee with heavy whipping cream. I then left for the day and was just too busy to think about eating. Then I went to the gym to work out for an hour (a new thing for me), and got home about 5:30 p.m. I find that working out while fasting gives you a lot of energy -- just the opposite of what you would think. So about 7:00 I ate about 1/4 of an avocado to break my fast, then dinner at 8:00 -- so about 23 hours between food. So from the end of dinner the night before until the avocado I had no food and only water, coffee, and tea. I've been doing this for a few weeks now (about every other day) and I do not get very hungry at all. I might feel a slight wave of hunger, but just drinking some tea makes that go away (I especially like Good Earth spicy tea for this). It's kinda weird but I now look forward to fasting days -- I love how it feels to be so light and energetic. This type of fasting is not extreme and is actually quite healthy as long as you are in good health.

You can just try skipping breakfast to see what it feels like.

Kat

Thanks for the detail, Kat -- it is really helpful. I have skipped breakfast for two days now (foregoing my beloved eggs, but I really wasn't hungry), and it seems to be budging the scale a bit. I usually finish dinner by 6 p.m. and have lunch at noon or 12:30 p.m., so hopefully that's a bit of a fat-burning IF for me.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-16, 09:28

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 184.4/134.6/135 Female 5'3"
BF:32.8/23.9
Progress: 101%

Well I can tell you I started out good and then, wham, slow slow slow. I have been stuck for 23 days and finally today I dropped a pound. Whew! lol Anyway my take away from this is just stay the course. Your body is gonna do what it is gonna do. It will happen. One of the other posters in this thread, MickiSue, is a very wise woman. She has helped me along when I was going nuts. She told me (and I am paraphrasing) what does it matter if you lose a pound a day or a pound a month or a pound a year? What are you going to do, go back to eating the way that got you here. That put it in perspective for me. The point is this is going to be your way of eating for life. So just do it and your body will lose fat. Hang in there! By the way I am 61 and have lost 36 pounds since February 1, 2016.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-16, 07:44
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enaid
Well I can tell you I started out good and then, wham, slow slow slow. I have been stuck for 23 days and finally today I dropped a pound. Whew! lol Anyway my take away from this is just stay the course. Your body is gonna do what it is gonna do. It will happen. One of the other posters in this thread, MickiSue, is a very wise woman. She has helped me along when I was going nuts. She told me (and I am paraphrasing) what does it matter if you lose a pound a day or a pound a month or a pound a year? What are you going to do, go back to eating the way that got you here. That put it in perspective for me. The point is this is going to be your way of eating for life. So just do it and your body will lose fat. Hang in there! By the way I am 61 and have lost 36 pounds since February 1, 2016.

Thanks Enaid. I agree that I don't want to eat the way I was eating, but I feel I've essentially traded one maintenance diet (lf) for another (lc). I'm convinced this one is endlessly better for my health, but I wish my effort would show up on the scale or tape measure.

Anyway your progress is an inspiration! Thanks for sharing it!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-16, 08:36

One other thought. If you are doing induction based on the Atkins website, that's NOT Atkins induction.

Take a look at the first couple pages of the Atkins '72 Hardcore thread.

They contain the information about the REAL Atkins induction. The people in that thread have been eating at induction levels for a LONG time, and their results show it.

The Atkins website does, IMO, more harm than good, being a very poor imitation of Dr. Atkins' advice, and pimping their nasty, processed to make you want more products.