Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#646   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 09:39
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I just saw that Jimmy Moore has started a 21-day fast. Makes sense after his major trip to Australia. Smart man to be done by Thanksgiving....the only national holiday centered around a feast.

21-day Fasting Experiment (October/November 2016) Day 3 video

Also on Vimeo

For those on facebook:
Jimmy Moore 21-day Fast
Sponsored Links
  #647   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 23:05
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hey, all. It's about 10:00 pm Thursday night and I decided to take a break and check in. I've been trying to take more breaks from work so I can focus on other things, and that has been good. I've been able to get a good chunk of The Complete Guide to Fasting. I thought that I may not read anything beyond what was in Jason Fung's blog posts, but I was wrong. There is a lot of great information there that I don't recall reading in his posts, which I receive in my inbox each week. I'm really enjoying the book, and it has helped me recall all of the very good reasons - most of which have little or nothing to do with weight loss - that I choose IF to be part of my lifestyle. The health benefits associated with fasting, independent of weight loss, make it worthwhile.

I will be visiting my dad at the end of next week, and I'm truly looking forward to the time we'll spend together. I'm starting to feel better. I guess the initial shock is gone and I'm realizing that our visit needs to be one of enjoyment, rather than focusing on his illness.

Pat, wonderful painting. Such beautiful doggies. Funny how she had never noticed the multi-colored eye. I wasn't aware such a condition existed.

Sheri and Pat, I do hope you both are feeling better soon. Seems like too many discomforts for both of you. I grumble from time to time about my autoimmune disorder and associated food intolerance issues, but this is nothing compared with what you two are dealing with. All I have to do is avoid certain foods and, most of the time, symptoms stay in check. I don't much have to worry about crap creeping up on me outside of that.

Well, I am going to read a little more and then head off to bed. Tomorrow is Friday, and I don't have a lot on the calendar. So, I'm hoping that means I can be very productive with my work and then enjoy a weekend.
  #648   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-16, 08:17
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids!

Lab, it's GOOD TO SEE YOU! I have chapters in my life that I never want to revisit but they are few in comparison to those that shine. As time passes I thankfully find that the awful chapters are faded and nearly illegible. I have chapters, such as yours, and focusing on your relationship and enjoyment is what matters. Carpe diem. Tomorrow isn't promised for any of us. Now isn't that a downer? Doesn't have to be. It means grab what you can with gusto. My faith assures me that the separation is just for a little while. Hold onto that. I'll keep praying.

Glad you like the book too! It really is good! Last night I bought the ebook version so I don't have to lug the printed version with me. It's a chunky book! I can also now read it anywhere. I find that, for books such as this, I like having both versions. Ebooks are easy reads but for reference purposes it is far easier with hardcopy. Jimmy and Jason should just love me. I'm a twofer.

Thanks for the comments about the artwork. I love doing it and I love making people happy. The client told me her husband loves it, she loves it, and it means everything to them and that is why I do it. Some artists find the need to express themselves in art. Some have a need to create something out of nothing. Me? I just like creating memories of the heart people can hold. These two doggies are still with us but one is older and is plagued with health issues. They are always together when outside and this is the memory the client wants to hold.

No whoosh this morning yet. I'm still hopeful. Aleve has helped with the joint pain so I'm not gimping around as much. I'm doing better. The good thing about the flareups is that it pushes me to eat clean. Now if I can get my head wrapped around actually fasting, I'll make more improvements. With Jim gone three nights a week teaching I may be able to get a couple days in at a time. We'll see.

So....that's it. It's Friday, my FAVORITE day of the week!

Later 'gators.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Fri, Oct-21-16 at 09:43.
  #649   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-16, 17:07

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 189/142/135 Female 66 inches
BF:hmmmm?
Progress: 87%

Blue, your painting of the collies is absolutely exquisite work!!! You have a talent par excellence. Your clients are very lucky folks. How anyone could not notice the eye color is truly beyond me.

Yes, it is good to see you, Lab. I agree that we all have chapters in our lives that we believe we would be better without, but it seems that it takes both the good and the bad to make a whole.

I’m feeling much better myself with less prednisone and the auto-immune situation in check once again. I’m not feeling so shaky now. I wish I knew what caused the flare-up, but it remains a mystery to both my doctor and me.

I spent the day uselessly sitting in the auto dealership while having my car serviced. At least, I have my audiobooks and my trusty iPod to help me pass the time. The closest restaurant is about 3 ½ blocks and a very sunny and HOT walk; so I elected to take my lunch and stay inside.

It’s hard to imagine both of you finding anything new -- and exciting, no less – about a new release of fasting info. My excuse is that I’m too old to fast…….
  #650   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-16, 07:21
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Sherri, I'm glad you are perking up a bit. I don't know what caused my flare up either. Who knows? Changes in weather? Food item? Stress of travel? Beats me.

I knew this past week was the last hurrah of summer like temps. Highs were in the mid to upper 80's. Yesterday brought high winds heralding "the change." This morning we were in the 30's with an expected high in the 60's. The leaves are dropping at a more rapid pace but we won't get the "big leaf drop" until next month when they seem to dump all at once. The leaf man will come, vacuum them all up and take them to the compost recycling center in our community. Living in the woods has its advantages but it can be a nuisance too like when we have the great acorn and hickory nut drop. We've been thwacked by nuts for a couple of weeks now.

Sherri, I appreciate the kind words about the collies. I started the human portrait this weekend which is a bit different for me. The client wants me to do a combined portrait of her deceased husband and her grown son. I've created a composition that I think and hope they'll like. She has provided general snapshots of both that are by no means portrait quality. If only they had fur. I can fake better if there is fur...

I am going to make time today to read my book! I hope. I'm stalled and pretty much accept responsibility for that. I know it sounds weird but reading and learning more really helps to keep on moving on this journey. It also gives me permission to eat or not without the assumed dire consequences. I base this on my body and health. I am NOT promoting fasting or any plan to anyone. We all have to decide for ourselves but it supports outcomes I've seen for myself in the past. Now if I can only read, learn, and do it!

I hope you all have a splendid autumn Sunday.

Later 'gators.
  #651   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-16, 10:13

Plan: LCHF and OMAD
Stats: 298.4/187.6/145 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 72%

Good Morning my Lab friends,

Sorry I have not been keeping in touch. I am kind of a mess right now. The foster kids are acting out which is to be expected when they have FASD, but it is difficult to live with 24/7 and it makes me feel drained at the end of the day. I am feeling exhausted, overwhelmed and close to tears most of the time during the past few weeks. It is taking everything in me, not to say screw it and run away. Sometimes I want to chuck all the fostering in but then I think about my little ones. Three have been with me since birth and they are now 10, 7 and 7 years old. And the fourth is the sister of two of my boys. It would be devastating for them to leave the only home they have ever known. So I tell myself, to suck it up and put on my big girl panties and move on. But sometimes, it is so so hard.

The husband and I are also struggling between ourselves which is just adding to my feelings of being overwhelmed. When it rains, it pours, doesn't it. There is an old saying that God doesn't give you more than you can handle. Well, sometimes I think that God is overestimating my abilities and is just messing with me because he is bored. A couple of times, when things have gotten out of control during the past few weeks, I have found myself looking up at the sky and saying "really?".

Enough of my pity party, but thanks for letting me vent. Not that I gave you much choice.

Good news is, except for one weekend where I comfort ate everything and anything the I saw, including an obscene amount of potato chips, I have actually stuck to my program and am now down to 202 pounds. Which is the lowest weight that I can remember ever being. So I am trying to focus in on that aspect of my life but it is hard sometimes when everything else is upon me.

I gave up zero carbs because I really wanted salad. Salad! Which is crazy! I should want potatoes and bread. But nope, it is salad I craved. So I trashed zero carb and have been doing IF for 20/4. And that, my friends, has been working for me so far.

Time to get the littlest one on the bus for preschool and then I can have 2.5 blissful hours to myself to read Dr. Fung's book on Fasting...or I might just have a nap...I like naps...a lot...yes I think a nap is in my very near future...Dr. Fung will have to wait until later...
  #652   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-16, 08:08
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Jakz, it's so good to see you! This is why we are here, to support others and lean on them when we need it. We ALL need it at times because that's life. Light and sound move on waves and so does life. So does that stupid scale.

I don't want you to be a mess. There have been times in my life when I was mess warmed over and it sucks. You have a huge heart for others and when you give, and give, and give and it isn't filled, you become empty. That makes room for all the negatives to swoop in and fill you up and you become mess warmed over. We all need to be filled and feel appreciated and loved by those closest to us but their lives are sine waves just like ours are and when they are out of sync it results in destructive interference just like light and sound waves. It's a phase of life that sucks but it doesn't last!!!!! The only constant in life is change. How's that for irony?

You're dealing with a lot. You have a houseful of kids (which is never easy) and your husband is, well, a man. That says it all. I love my Jimbo dearly but he can hurt my feelings or aggravate me no end. When we are in sync it's great and when we are out of sync it's......a mess. I hope you can reach a point to talk and work it through because you need the support while dealing with the kiddos. We don't speak the same language as they but it's possible!

You write so well and I so get you. You also make me laugh but you make me admire you for your honesty and openness. You will get through this and we are here to help however we can.

IF was a major breakthrough for me. Although it wasn't easy at first it soon, in time, became normal. It's hardest for me on weekends because I'm home and food is always there. At work I have more control.

It turned cold. Dang. I know it's supposed to but.....dang.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Later 'gators.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Wed, Oct-26-16 at 11:51.
  #653   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-16, 10:36
It's Only Food!

BF:

Okay, so I don't know if I'm stupid or what but I decided to follow the supplement advice by Dr. Davis in Wheat Belly. I reread some of the book and realize that I'm facing some issues, especially with thyroid symptoms, that MAY be helped by iodine supplementation. Who knew that D3 tablets weren't good and that oil based ones existed? I've got this autoimmune flareup, so I decided to follow the protocol. Doctors aren't much help except to hand pills to me.

I have thyroid nodules and was put on Synthroid for decades upon decades. Last year I was suddenly taken off of them because the "new" science said I don't need them. Of course I have EVERY side affect listed pointing to thyroid deficiency but my labs "look okay." Iodine may be something I can do to alleviate the side effects so I ordered Kelp capsules along with all the other recommendations given in the 10-day Wheat Belly Detox. Amazon loves me.

I'm not one to take all sorts of supplements but if it keeps me from having to see five doctors, then why not try. The worst that can happen is I'll go hug a tree or something.
  #654   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-16, 07:55
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Mornin', Blue how ya doin'?

I seem to be feeling better and holding my own weight wise. Next week I plan to jump into a major detox and take my new supplements.

Yay you!

Thanks, I've been listening to the Thyroid Summit hosted by Dr. Amy Myers. Amazingly I've learned a ton of information from Dr. Tom O'Bryan who has explained why things happen the way they do. Usually my eyes glaze over when the chatter about leaky gut, gluten, et al pops up but he has a way of making it crystal clear for me and it has confirmed, to me, that I may be on the right track with Wheat Belly, and the supplements I am going to try. I "get" it now so we'll see what kind of improvements happen. I'm expecting good things!!!!

That's wonderful, keep us posted on your progress.

I will! The next time I learn something, you'll be the first to know!

I thought of you, Nikki, and the recent earth quakes in Italy. Hope all is well.

So labbies, have a happy, happy, happy Friday Eve.

Later 'gators.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Thu, Oct-27-16 at 10:59.
  #655   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-16, 19:08

BF:

Hello Ladies,

Blue, thank you for your support. It really means a lot. After I typed the last post, I actually felt a little better for venting. It is true, I think I was feeling empty and all these negative feelings were seeping in. It was nice to have that pointed out. So I am making plans on doing things for me to keep my "bucket" filled with good things, I am trying for a small daily thing and then maybe a once a week grand gesture. I attended a PaintNite with one of my friends. Blue, it gave me a true understanding of you talent and abilities. The painting was suppose to be of a sunset behind a hill in the forest. My turned out to look like a bunch of zombies coming over the hill with big trees surrounding them. As bad as it was, I laughed a lot, had some cocktails (sugar be damned) and filled my bucket.

The behaviors for one of my 7 year old foster sons escalated to the point, the school was talking about suspending him. So in an effort to not let this happened, I volunteered to be his aide at school for a few days to see if the helped. So I spent Thursday and Friday back in Grade 2, see God is messing with me.

I am 49 years old and in Grade 2 and I am not the teacher! So this is really what my life has become? Really God?!

Anyway, to show my foster son what it would be like for me to become his aide (and forcing me to give up the two hours in the afternoon that is my very cherished alone time), I made him eat his lunch in the corner with me, not his friends, then he spent his recess reading to me not playing outside and I sat right beside him in class in the littlest chair I have every tried to perch my rather robust bottom on. But I did it and was able to stand up without issue, okay, a tiny struggle. NSV!!!

Anyway, he hated having me there. Probably just as much as I hated being there. So we talked today and he has agreed that he will change his attitude or I will become his full time aide. GOD FORBID!!!! That would snap the tenuous thread I hold onto my sanity with.

I have not been eating a ton of carbs but I am by no means ketogenic right now. I am eating about 40-50 carbs per day. I am not making two meals, one for me and one for the rest of the family right now. I am just making one meal and serving myself some of the food that has lesser carbs. With everything that is going on right now, I am going to actively maintain and not try losing. I think the disappointment of not seeing the scale numbers go down would be a trigger. A trigger to madness and insanity. So maintenance it is!

Enough about me. Are you still feeling better, Blue? Have you started you detox and supplements yet? I am going to read up on Dr. Tom O'Bryan so that we can have a lively chat about him soon.

So, where is everyone else? Is it just us, Blue? Shall we continue our conversations, until the others decide to join us?

Big hugs, Blue!
  #656   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-16, 21:02

BF:

Hello Fellow Labs.

So I have taken a leap of faith today. I had my daughter take my scale to school and leave it in her locker. I told her I don't want it back until Nov 30. I was fed up with it when I stepped on it and it said I was 207.4. No God, I don't need anymore challenges in my life. Nope, I do not.

Therefore, I am going to have a non-weigh month. I weigh myself daily, always have and probably always will. So I must rehome the stupid scale to stop myself. I am testing myself to see if I don't focus on the numbers, what the outcome will be. I am not sure if I can do this but I am definitely going to give it a try. Wish me luck!

And yes, I understand that the scale is a tool and not my mortal enemy, but I think my tool is broken. I don't like it when my tools are broken. Well, come to think of it, every tool I have ever stepped on must have been broken, because they are giving me the same numbers.

So for supper I ate 3 gluten free cheese smokies (1 carb each) with cheddar cheese melted on them. I, apparently think you can never have too much cheese. They were yummy and I felt comforted by their warm gooey yumminess. I was going to have a salad but was rather full after 3 smokies and about 2 ounces of cheese. So I stopped eating. That was five hours ago and now I am thinking about the two smokies in the fridge. I am not hungry, I just want to eat them. So I am going to bed.

Talk soon...

Last edited by Jakz1269 : Thu, Nov-03-16 at 10:04.
  #657   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-16, 09:57
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

I'm sorry to have been a way for a few days!

Jakz, you are da bomb. I so enjoy your posts, not the trials you are facing, but your posts. I was impressed with your handling of your son's school issue. Hope that is improving for you both!!! Poor kid. The thought of having mom with you would scare most kids into getting right with the world.

Oh...the scale. Those little ~#$% offer nothing but a love/hate relationship. I've had my own battle this week. As a daily weigher and spreadsheet keeper I don't foresee me giving that up any time soon. I can tell you data about myself every which way but backwards and can even do that by citing figures on weight difference from a year ago day by day. Yeah, I'm that nerdy. It's a sickness. Let's not even talk about the graphs. I have issues. But you know what? If I don't do this then I tend to lapse into the unknown of bad habits with the "out of sight/out of mind" strategy that ends up in "out of clothes size." I can't trust myself. I'm such a sneak.

We had a Halloween potluck at work on Monday and I ate off plan. My reward was an overnight 3.2 pound gain of water, aches, pains, and misery. I have since lost it (I TOLD you I was a puffer fish) but I never felt so stinkin' bad. I had told a coworker that I was going to start detox on Tuesday and I stuck to that! I felt AWFUL. Monday night I started the supplements, ate totally clean yesterday and thus far today, hence the drop in the gained water weight. Puff. Whoosh. Sponge Blue Round Pants.

My detox involves no processed foods whatsoever. Protein, veg, fat, water, tea, coffee and nothing else. I allow cream in my coffee but not gobs of it. Just enough to knock the edge off. No other dairy whatsoever, no sweeteners whatsoever, no eggs, no additives, no nightshades, no grains, no nuts, no seeds. Plain food. 24-hour fasting with one meal, dinner.

After 10 days I'll reassess to see where I am and how I'm doing. I'm hopeful that the supplements will help. I bought a prebiotic powder to go along with the probiotic time release pill I'm taking. It's a better choice for me. I'm also hoping the kelp capsules with help with the thyroid issues. None of this can hurt so why not. I did find that I've started to exclaim "Groovy, man" at times and have had a desire to hug the hickory tree in the front yard but I think I can keep this all in check. It's that annoying earworm that is the most nuisance ♪ "If you're going to San Francisco....be sure to wear a flower in your hair." ♫ I'm like all natural, man, and feeling....well......groovy.

Peace out.

Later 'gators.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Wed, Nov-02-16 at 10:04.
  #658   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-16, 10:27
It's Only Food!

BF:

Food for thought.

#659   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-16, 23:16

BF:

Peace Out Sister Blue!

I am glad your detox is working out well for you and that you lost your Halloween gain, you little puffer fish, you! I feel the same way about vitamins. It can't hurt to why not. Oh, and I am also eating OMAD. Just I am not usually hungry until 3-4 in the afternoon. IF is the only way to go, Baby.

Blue, it is day two without the scale, it has been tough almost as tough as it was to detox from carbs. But I will PREVAIL!!! I will not fear the unknown - the unknown weight that is! God is going to reward my perseverance by letting me be at my goal weight (145 lbs) by December 1, I just know it!

Okay reality check. Maybe I will be in onederland by December 1.
  #660   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-16, 09:21
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Three days of detox and supplements. YeeHaw! I'm back in the 40's again which means I'm closer to 200 than 300. Hey, it's the little things that matter.

I have stuck to my eating plan and am doing okay. I had a fleeting thought of eating something off plan last night but I stopped that dead in its tracks. Within five minutes I didn't even want it any longer. Honestly, the mind is the gateway to success or failure.

Lord, I SO suck at acronyms. I keep saying that but I really do. I looked at OMAD and thought, "What plan is THAT?!?!?!?!?" Is that a supplement? Instead of driving myself to distraction I did a quick search for OMAD. Of course that's what it is but my brain doesn't go there. It's resistant to acronyms.

There you are, Jakz, venturing out into the unknown. I believe you can make it to onederland. I do believe, I do believe, I do, I do, I do... I'm still hugging my scale and it has been kind to me now that I'm detoxing.

The first Friday of every month is "jeans day" at work. I stuffed this bod into my smallest pair, fastened and zipped without too much angst. My face isn't turning blue and the resulting muffin top isn't noticeable under a sweater vest. I can sit. It's all good.

I finished and delivered the human portrait. Oh the stress I had with that one. The client wanted a portrait of her deceased husband (gone for almost 10 years now) and her now grown son together. The picture references were not the best so I had to come up with a pose and way to make it work. She loves it. There is a HUGE sigh of relief here. I don't think I've stressed about a piece as much or had such apprehension as to whether it was finished or good enough to deliver. Jim kept telling me it was done so I finally listened, sprayed it with final fixative, and let it go. Now I'm moving on to a dog commission. I like dog commissions. They have fur.

I also have two ponchos to crochet. I made one for myself and two people asked if I'd make one for them. Oh joy. Yeah, I'll just do that in my spare time. I bought the yarn. We'll see how it goes. I'm already making a sweater vest for myself. It isn't as if I don't have anything to do but it does keep me from thinking about food or eating. By the time I reach my goal my house may be wearing a sweater too.

I'm still thinking about you, Lab, and hope your visit with your dad was a good one. Nikki, I'm hoping all is well with you after all the earthquakes. All you others...you're missed and are the proud recipients of the stink eye.

So that's it on this Friday. Relief. Scale is friendly. Can't ask for more.

Later 'gators.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Fri, Nov-04-16 at 09:28.