Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 04:29

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Dr Sarah Hallberg, Indiana U and Website

This Low Carb doctor recently entered the public eye with her TEDTalk on Obesity, Insulin Resistance and Reversing Diabetes. In less than two months, the talk has had 170K views.

There are two threads in the Media forum about Dr Hallberg's talk and a study on her program results, but I wanted to add a thread here, because her website is also excellent and need one place to reference her resources.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=467437

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=468364

Also to alert members there is now a program in Indiana that mirrors the one at Duke. She visited Dr Westman, the support group and has set up a resident rotation for LC weight loss like Duke's.

On her website, she posts video answers to patient questions, and adds terrific "Extra Credit" posts filled with news, commentary and low carb studies that would be helpful for anyone following a general low carb diet. The most recent is an interesting round-up of information.

http://fitteru.us/2015/06/extra-credit-june-23-2015/

Check out her website and FB page. Consider becoming a patient if you need a structured program.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 04:34

Her "rules" in a nutshell...

#3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 04:47

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Thanks Janet. Great info as always. I loved the picture of everyone on the escalators and no one taking the stairs. Yes, they obviously believe in exercise benefits

Side note: Would you or could you start a thread here where you would answer questions? Your knowledge and insights are always helpful with good information to support them. I know often I will think of something that I would like to ask your help on, but don't want to hijack someone else's thread. Just a thought. I think many would appreciate it if you would be willing to help us.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 05:01

Every member has valuable insights to add, we have all taken different journeys to good health. I only happen to be blessed by my location near some LC experts and wonderful success stories. You could send me a PM if it is off topic.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 05:15

Thanks Janet. I agree we have many wonderful members with lots of good info. As you mentioned, your location and exposure to new information as it becomes available from various experts is beneficial.

The main area I have been trying to research and learn more about is gut health. Incorporating more probiotics and prebiotics from whole foods versus supliments, that type of thing. It seems to be difficult to find very much factual information on some of this.

Thanks again.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 06:21

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marieshops
Thanks Janet. I agree we have many wonderful members with lots of good info. As you mentioned, your location and exposure to new information as it becomes available from various experts is beneficial.

The main area I have been trying to research and learn more about is gut health. Incorporating more probiotics and prebiotics from whole foods versus supliments, that type of thing. It seems to be difficult to find very much factual information on some of this.

Thanks again.

Same here. My son has Asperger's which is a form of autisim. The new information about this subject has me hopeful. The brain being conected to the gut is almost like a new science, in my opinion. The first book I read about this was "An Epidemic of Absence" by Moises Velasquez-Manoff.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 07:32

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 115/111/110 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:

Thanks again.

I also have started incorporating probiotic foods into my diet. Before I took supplements. I just started eating Bubbie's sauerkraut this week along with Bubbbie's Dill Pickles.

Last week I incorporated White Mountain Bulgarian Whole Milk yogurt. The only ingredients are whole milk and probioitics. I love that it has no fillers or added ingredients.

I also bought a GT Synergy Kombucha. I tried it for the first time this morning (just a small amount). I have read where it will grow on you. Well, it has some growing to do.

I want to buy Farmhouse Culture's sauerkraut next and try kimchi.

I look forward to what these real food probiotics can do for my health.

I hope you find all the information you are looking for.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 07:38

BF:

I apologize Janet for hijacking your thread. I saw Marie's post and got carried away with my excitement to find someone else interested in probiotics and gut health.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 08:17

JudyMC, let me know the reaction you get from the GT Synergy Kombucha. I too have tried it in small amounts - 4 ounces or less and seemed to have a quick "rush". Trying to decide if it is sugar or caffeine related - my best 2 guesses. Since it is fermenting, I considered that the sugar could be higher than stated on the label. Just wondering.

Sorry too for branching off Janet, though it was a link you posted about gut health a while back that did get me into researching this more in depth. my excuse
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 08:50

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Thanks Janet for all your efforts to bring all this to our attention. It is much appreciated.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 09:51

BF:

Quote:
JudyMC, let me know the reaction you get from the GT Synergy Kombucha. I too have tried it in small amounts - 4 ounces or less and seemed to have a quick "rush". Trying to decide if it is sugar or caffeine related - my best 2 guesses. Since it is fermenting, I considered that the sugar could be higher than stated on the label. Just wondering.

Sorry too for branching off Janet, though it was a link you posted about gut health a while back that did get me into researching this more in depth. my excuse

Marie, I tried sending you a private message so we don't hijack this thread. I got a message stating your message box was too full.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 11:10

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Thank you Janet. I enjoyed the TED talk and now I'll go hang out with her on her website.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-15, 04:31

A reminder that Dr Hallberg is videoing Tutor Sessions every Friday. This is like having your own appointment with a LC doctor and hearing her answer to your questions. Today she answered the very common question...But What About Fruit!? It's so healthy, blah, blah

http://fitteru.us/2015/07/tutor-ses...on-a-lchf-diet/

Good answer explaining where fruit fits on a continuum. The Duke LC clinic diet allows NO fruit and NO nuts. Simple, easy rules...can't go wrong with those instructions. I eat them now, but not when I wanted to lose weight.

Her TEDTalk is up to 212K views in two months! Keep sharing this info, only 18 minutes to possible help someone understand the role of carbs in our diets.

Ps. Also adding a new Post on AUTISM under the Gut Bug thread!

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jul-13-15 at 04:40.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-15, 05:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
A reminder that Dr Hallberg is videoing Tutor Sessions every Friday. This is like having your own appointment with a LC doctor and hearing her answer to your questions. Today she answered the very common question...But What About Fruit!? It's so healthy, blah, blah

http://fitteru.us/2015/07/tutor-ses...on-a-lchf-diet/

Good answer explaining where fruit fits on a continuum. The Duke LC clinic diet allows NO fruit and NO nuts. Simple, easy rules...can't go wrong with those instructions. I eat them now, but not when I wanted to lose weight.

Her TEDTalk is up to 212K views in two months! Keep sharing this info, only 18 minutes to possible help someone understand the role of carbs in our diets.

Ps. Also adding a new Post on AUTISM under the Gut Bug thread!

Thank you for posting the above links. I just finished watching the video on fruits. That is a great link to pass on to help others understand why some of us limit our fruits.

I work at school and all I could think about is how much fruit juice the students drink between breakfast, lunch and snacks. Let alone what they drink at home. Especially all those non fruit juice, drink pouches.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-15, 16:06

BF:

Dr. Sarah Hallberg also has a Facebook page that I am really enjoying.