Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-17, 17:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/190/150 Female 5 foot 6 inch
BF:
Progress: 31%

Chrissy, if you are able I would definitely check out one of the Atkins books. This WOE really clicked for me when I started to understand the science behind it and how I was sabotaging myself by doing something "close" to Atkins or cheating now and again. It is not easy, but it is so worth it when you really commit. I am a huge sugar junkie, and the number one thing I love about Atkins is once I get past the initial cravings, I don't have them and I'm not constantly thinking about when I can squeeze in some certain food or anything. It might not be for you, but the discipline and structure has really been important for me.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-17, 11:44
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Losing water weight is good stuff. Insulin binds water to it. As your insulin levels drop the bloat bound to it is lost. Since insulin stores fat, you want it to drop so you won't be storing fat, and it will drop more as you continue lowcarbing and you'll start burning fat for fuel.

I don't think you realize how driven your eating is by your blood sugar going up and down by eating carbs. You eat carbs, if you don't burn them off in a short period of time - insulin sweep the rest into your cells and stores it as fat. As that happens your body is sending out the message that you need energy. Your body burns sugar first, not fat. If your not in fat burning mode only sugar will provide you with energy. So you naturally eat more sugar.

Some people have a high enough tolerance for sugar that they can maintain their weight eating carbs. Since you're overweight you're probably not one of them. The carb level to lose and maintain is a very individual thing, so you might not have to stay at induction levels long and could still lose weight.

I know people who lost weight and have kept it off by lowering calories. 10 years later their still eating 1200 calories a day to maintain.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-17, 11:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The fast food, waffle, candy diet? How did that one work for you? ;-) I'm being cheeky. The most talented dieter can't really lose much more than 2 pounds a week on the average. So 4-6 pounds of your lose was water that'll come back with carbs. Eating high carb stores a lot of water on you and it goes as you use up glycogen. The fat goes too, but you can always expect to see water gain whenever you cheat.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-17, 16:52
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Cottage cheese, yogurt and all that can still be carby. For me personally, even plain yogurt can set off a reaction of cravings. It's not just carb number based, but also food tolerance based. If you are doing moderate carb, then you can expect more moderate weight loss. The hardcore weight loss won't happen if you aren't doing hardcore diet. For some, finding what they can live with and losing slowly is the best option. For others, results are what it takes to be motivated and they buckle down more