Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#931   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 11:24

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
I am unable to use vinegar and other acids without balancing fat. Likewise, supplements like alpha lipoic acid give me terrible stomach aches. My stomach acid is high, but my body is alkaline. My GERD was treatable with apple, which is the opposite of the vinegar treatment recommended for most. For me, this works.

Forgot to add that taking probiotics also causes me bowel and stomach distress.
Are you talking about a tablet probiotic? I started getting stomach distress going to bed when trying to sleep and tracked it to my taking <1t of cod liver oil right before bed. Switched to before a meal and all is ok again. Magnesium mixed with cool water and <1/4t salt does not affect my tummy.
Sponsored Links
  #932   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 12:10

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I don't think it even needs to have a mother, studies vs. blood glucose with vinegar use just plain white vinegar, water and acetic acid. Hard to make a proprietary claim for the simplest form, basically just a commodity. The whiff of "wholesome" really jacks up the price, for vinegar, for salt etc.

However, raw, unpasturized vinegar, or homemade vinegars are probiotic.
Vinegar is so easy to make, though, it seem silly to actually spend money on it
  #933   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 12:19

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Maybe the probiotic thing helps. What's the evidence? We'd need studies where it's given without the acetic acid itself, to rule out any of those benefits.
  #934   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 13:02

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Well, I have no studies, but I am a follower of Dr. Fung and trust his intelligence - so I partake in vinegar. I am also a believer in consuming minimally processed foods and getting as much nutrient/benefit out of the foods I do choose, hence raw, uncooked vinegars, mostly homemade. I figure, I am doing no harm and most likely a world of good ( :
  #935   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 23:48

BF:

I'm not exactly out to get raw, uncooked, apple cider etc. vinegars, not that I'm against those--I'm sort of more concerned that if somebody can benefit from the plain old vinegar that hopefully they won't be eating on french fries, and there's a false impression that it needs to be this or that, and they don't like this or that (personal ox here, I don't like this or that, just plain white vinegar)--well now I'm just concerned I'll never get out of this sentence at a quarter to two in the morning. Something about unnecessary stumbling blocks is where I was heading.
  #936   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 05:58
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Teaser, I get where you're going with the sentence, tired or not. We're all seeking our own "structure" for this health journey. Stumbling blocks can grow into excuses for giving up, and giving in to those seductive carbs.

I've been tracking down my own personal culprits. Inside my WOE it's still possible to eat too much of something which my body uses for fuel instead of my stored fat. I seem to remember you have a weakness for cheese. Mine seems to be pistachios.

The fact that I can't use ACV hasn't kept me from losing the weight and regaining my health, but for some ACV will be a necessity. N=1.
  #937   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 06:08

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard
However, raw, unpasturized vinegar, or homemade vinegars are probiotic.
Vinegar is so easy to make, though, it seem silly to actually spend money on it

yes, very easy to make. We use LOTS of raw ACV here!!! I use it to give baby chicks their dose of good probiotics, and drink straight up or add to an oil/vinegar salad dressing. Not for cooking-- that would be a waste.

I have tried several brands, only Braggs has the greatest concentration.

( Sometimes I ferment a mash-- chickens love it, horses love it too.)
  #938   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 06:09

BF:

I won't argue with N=1, but I will argue (apparently ) about the sort of experiment needed to show that an n=1 works for an individual for a particular reason. It's one thing to show that apple cider vinegar works for an individual, another to show that it has to be apple cider... In my own case a ketogenic diet works better. But my personal ketogenic diet includes so much butter and cream--maybe I just respond really well to palmitic acid, and once I hit ketogenic ratios, I'm taking an effective dose in. Or, the more ketogenic you diet is, the higher your 24 hour free fatty acids. Or there's some benefit to the protein restriction in and of itself. Etc. Guess I'm saying I'm as annoying to myself as to others when it comes to known vs. unknown.
  #939   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 06:17

BF:

It is apple cider vinegar because getting apple juice to make it makes it apple cider vinegar.
  #940   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 10:41

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Braggs tastes the best, too.
  #941   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 19:27

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Braggs tastes the best, too.
Just picked up two bottles yesterday.

#942   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-18, 04:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default What?? Fasting is not ******** crazy*****stupid?

Dr Fung writes about all the recent articles accepting of FASTING. Including as mentioned in #927...the Harvard Health Letter!!

https://idmprogram.com/what-fasting...y-batsh-stupid/

Fun article, but seriously, how has fasting become so accepted, so mainstream in four years?! While low carb, Keto, is plugging along after 50 plus years and still getting resistance from the likes of Harvard. If you are fasting, you are living solely on body fat, but that is OK?

A reminder that Dr Fung is still answering questions about IF on DietDoctor. Here is the latest set, scroll down to links to many more previous IF Q&A.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/why-does...e-during-a-fast

Quote:
Increasing blood sugar when fasting
Why does my blood sugar level increase from 86 to 112 mg/dl (4.8 – 6.2 mmol/L) when I do a 20-hour fast? Is that normal? I’m on an LCHF diet.

Thank you doctor,
Alvaro

Answer:This is a normal process. When you fast, insulin levels start to drop and this triggers a surge of counter-regulatory hormones, including noradrenalin and growth hormone. This is normal, and meant to pull some of the stored sugar from the liver into the blood. If your liver is full of sugar, it may release lots of sugar into the blood, causing the blood sugar to rise.

So, yes, blood sugar may rise during fasting. The most important question to consider, though, is where this sugar came from. If you are not eating, the rise in blood sugar may only come from your own body. You are simply moving sugar from the liver to the blood. It means that there is too much sugar stored inside your body and you need to empty it out, either with LCHF diet or intermittent fasting

Dr. Jason Fung

Arterial plaque
Reversing diabetes and therefore inflammation should stop future arterial plaque production, right? Does reversing diabetes cause plaque to recede from arteries already affected? Are there any studies on this?

Kathleen

Answer: Diabetes is a very strong risk factor for heart disease and arterial plaque. Reversing diabetes should theoretically lower the risk of plaque disease, but there are no studies that conclusively demonstrate this. That is probably because most people consider type 2 diabetes to be a chronic and progressive disease, like aging. So, yes, I think it will reduce risk of heart disease, but no, there are no studies to prove this.

Dr. Jason Fung

Hashimoto’s, fasting and keto
I believe there is a way to reverse Hash! I feel so much better on keto and IF than any treatment over the past three years. Have you had any patients reversing Hashi with this program?

Thank you so much for all your work for all of us,
Martha

Answer: I don’t see Hashimoto’s very frequently so don’t have much experience. Fasting and low carb diets usually drop insulin so are effective for diseases of excessive insulin such as obesity, type 2 diabetes and PCOS. However, it may also have a smaller effect on inflammation so it may certainly benefit Hashimoto’s as well, but there are no studies to prove this, and I have only limited clinical experience with Hashimoto’s.

Dr. Jason Fung

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jul-11-18 at 03:29.
  #943   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 06:37

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

#944   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-18, 09:50

BF:

https://optimisingnutrition.com/201...-like-a-pauper/

Marty Kendall on meal timing...

One thing about most food at breakfast, you're active while you're digesting etc.

There's been some discussion on this thread on whether intermittent fasting would be best done by skipping breakfast or dinner. My answer is yes.
  #945   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-18, 10:02

BF:

Breakfast is the only meal I know I can consistently skip.