Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 10:14
Contributing Member

Plan: From Atkins to South Beach
Stats: 208/185/160 Female 5'6"
BF:29%
Progress: 48%
Default Need an answer, please help

I would like to switch over to the SBD as soon as I can but there is no way with my job I can follow the phase one meal plan. I do have the companion book the SBD good fats, good carbs guide and in it there is a list of acceptable foods in phase one. If I put my own meals together from that list will I have success? There is no way I could make some of the recipes in the original book in an engine house. Also, how much of a certain food can you eat, if I want lima beans can I have a cup of them and does the eat until you are comfortable work on portion amounts? Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 10:53

Plan: South Beach(Phase III)
Stats: 235/187/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 107%

I've done exactly what you are talking about...we only use the book as a guide...we make our own meal plans based on what is allowed in the food lists.

Use reasonable amounts for portion size. I try to eat more of the lean meats, LF dairy, and veg using the carb items sparingly.

I've had lima and other beans but I don't think I had a cup for a serving. I don't rely on beans to fill me up...I have other meat and veg items when having the beans as they are higher in carbs than other veg.

The key is to eat until satisfied...not full...I try to quit when I think I'm starting to feel satisfied...20 minutes later I'm full.

Last edited by pstar : Sat, Feb-14-04 at 10:55.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 11:38
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 183/175/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine9
If I put my own meals together from that list will I have success?

Absolutely! That's the beauty of this diet--you can fix whatever you want as long as it's from the "Enjoy" list. The menus are only a suggestion. Bring on the firehouse chili!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 13:01

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

If you only have the companion book, here are a couple of things from the book that were important for me:

Drink LOTS of water - I don't know why, but look at the other postings - it is important and necessary.

Adding metamucil or some other fiber in water 15 min. before a major meal makes you feel full, eat less, and seems to help slow digesting the carbs.

Have 3 meals and 3 snacks - don't try to go several hours without a meal.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 14:21
Contributing Member

Plan: From Atkins to South Beach
Stats: 208/185/160 Female 5'6"
BF:29%
Progress: 48%

Thanks for all your help. I am also reading the book and am finding that some of the recipes overlap in ingredients so maybe they won't be so hard after all. One other question, does anyone ever cheat, today one of my co-workers had a box of specialty cookies delivered at work and I had one..what guilt!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 16:50

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%
Wink does anyone ever cheat?

Quote:
does anyone ever cheat

Everyone cheats at times - see in the book the guy who did SBD with a real ice cream a day? It just can't become a habit every day. And I personally would find cheating on something really sweet like a cookie dangerous (cravings...), but everyone has his/her own weakness.