Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 09:11
Contributing Member

Plan: From Atkins to South Beach
Stats: 208/185/160 Female 5'6"
BF:29%
Progress: 48%
Default The South Beach books contradict

I am trying very hard to be dedicated to switching from Atkins to SB but sometimes I get soooooo frustrated in trying to interpret that I throw my hands up in the air. This is one of those moments. I have both the South Beach diet book and the companion book, good fats, etc. in the original book it sayes to avoid all dairy in phase one, in the companion book it sayes enjoy low fat or fat free in phase one, which is true. Same for tomatoes, they are in some of the phase one recipes but then you find in another book where they are limited in phase one. Since becoming a member of this forum I have gotten very little response to my posts and I am starting to take it personally, will anyone help. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 09:37

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

South Beach Diet was recently modified. If you go to their Webpage, they list exactly these two modifications. Tomatoes are ok without counting now, and low carb diary as well. They now also don't damn carrots as much. I am a bit more "Atkinesk" in my diet though - whenever I add such "allowed" carbs I stall or go up, so I would be careful. Try to find out how your own body reacts - we are all different!

There are also contradictions within the book - the book argues against low fat mayo (because often carbs are substituted for fat), the recipes call for low fat mayo, the book says eggs are good, the recipes call for egg substitute. Just use common sense - i.e. try to find low fat mayo that is also low or zero carb!

Since I am one of the few posters answering you: This is primarily an Atkins forum, and few so far seem to here who are SBD. There are some forums dedicated to SBD.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 10:53

Plan: Atkins (calories count)
Stats: 204/148/150 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

This is off topic, but what website do you go to for updates? The only one I have found requires you to sign in, at a cost of $5 per week. Is there another one out there? I am considering a switch from Atkins to SB but after reading the book I still have a few questions, and would love to be able to check a website like the Atkins site allows, for free. Thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 13:00

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Just wondering??

What would low-fat/low-carb mayonaise have in it??

Everything edible has to be fat, carb or protein, and there is no way you can have primarily protein mayonaise.

Maybe filled with a lot of sugar alcohols? Or non-digestible fiber??

It does not compute for me, and is a direct refutation of the revolution as explained by Dr. Atkins.

You gotta eat fat to lose fat, and also to avoid insulin demands. JMO.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 13:58

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool

Dena, here are some websites you can check out:

http://www.south-beach-diet-information.com/

http://www.mizfrogspad.com/south_beach_diet.htm

http://www.dieting-review.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=17

I frequent all of them and always get some sort of information from them.

Glenda
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 14:18
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Since becoming a member of this forum I have gotten very little response to my posts and I am starting to take it personally, will anyone help.
Hi Engine9,

The SBD Forum is very new here - it opened on January 8th - and you have to give it a bit of time to grow into a community. When the Active Low-Carber Forum first opened, a few dedicated people put a lot of time into welcoming people and answering questions. As you can see now, the Forum as a whole is flourishing.

When you're comfortable with the SBD, you can give back in return to the SBD Newbies and help the SBD Forum to continue growing.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Sun, Feb-15-04 at 14:21.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 16:20

Plan: Atkins (calories count)
Stats: 204/148/150 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Glenda: Thank you so much! I have taken a lot away from the sites you posted, and am trying to compile my own little book of information, basics that can travel with me. Thanks again!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 16:20
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 168/140/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 100%

I agree with ya! I didn't even know about the modified approved list and when people were telling me they were drinking milk, and non fat yougurt, I was like WHAT??

And in the recipes, it did say to use low-fat mayo, then later on it was USE REGULAR MAYO ONLY!! Def. confusing.

Though, I do use the new improved allowed list and the Good, Bad Carbs book as a guide..
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 18:00
Contributing Member

Plan: From Atkins to South Beach
Stats: 208/185/160 Female 5'6"
BF:29%
Progress: 48%

Thanks everyone for your responses. I was a little overwhelmed. I appreciate your tolerance.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 08:49
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I think it's inevitable that diet programs will change and progress as time goes on .. New editions get published, different aspects of the programs upgraded as new research and information becomes available. For example, the first edition of Protein Power, pub. in 1995 condemned flax oil as being unhealthy and not good to use. Then in their next book, Protein Power Lifeplan, pub. 2000 .. they reversed the position to state that flax oil IS good to use for omega-3's, because new research had become available since they'd published their first book.

So it is with South Beach .. new foods have been added based on more current information and experience. Who knows?, as more research is published showing that saturated fats are not bad or harmful to health when eaten as part of a carb-controlled diet, Agatston may choose to change his position on that issue as well

Prevention.com's section on South Beach is the best free resource for information about the program. Prevention is owned and operated by Rodale, the same folks who published South Beach Many of the articles there have been written by or authorized by Dr. Agatston himself, so you can be assured the information is accurate. http://prevention.com/cda/feature20...s1-5345,00.html

hth,

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 19:29

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%
Wink what is nor fat nor carb in mayo? and where to get free info?

Quote:
What would low-fat/low-carb mayonaise have in it??

Hellman's light has 1 g carb/15 g and 5 g fat - it seemed lower than most in both.
After water it has soybean oil and eggs, so I guess it DOES have a lot of protein.

Quote:
but what website do you go to for updates?

Actually, I cheated with SBD's expensive site - $5 a week is rediculous: I went to that site, got the "free" eval they advertise, telling me I am overweight (what news, right?), but to get that, I had to put in my email address. So, I am getting daily emails on my (non-work) account from the SBD people - called the daily dish, and it has some really good recipes and tips, and for example the tomato/dairy change.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 21:56

Plan: south beach
Stats: 138/130/120 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 44%

I love SB but it can get confusing. If I stick to natural foods (meats, veggies, and lf cheeses) it works wonders, but if I start to add too many processed low carb foods the progress comes to a holt. I haven't come to a conclution on low carb chocolates. I'm not sure how they effect my weight loss yet. I just need to lose five more pounds and I'm done but they are such a pain
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 15:02

Plan: Carbohydrate Addict
Stats: 155/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default 5 Pounds To Go Also...

I've been using SBD as my guideline for a low-carb life plan, and it's been working wonderfully for me! Not just me-there are several of us in our printing office that share tips and encourage one another on a daily basis. Seems like we all realized this is for LIFE, not just a temporay DIET to loose weight.

I only have 5 pounds left to go-then I want to reintroduce whole grain bread occasionally back into my diet. I had a heck of a time locating a true whole grain bread-no enriched or white flour. I found one variety at our Buckhead Bread, here in the Atlanta area.

Anyone have a "cheat" meal or day each week? I have set aside Saturday lunch as my cheat meal for the week-I usually can be found heading toward my fav Italian restaurant. And still when I weigh in at the end of each week, another 5 lbs. has consistently been dropping off.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 11:30

Plan: south beach
Stats: 138/130/120 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 44%

Yes, i do a cheat day but it keeps me from losing those last few pounds...i think. The day is nice to have but the cravings are awlful after it. I loooove sugar and it's hard for my cravings to subside.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 11:37

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I don't have a cheat day on carbs. I just think on Saturday nights I won't worry about fat. If I want hot wings or Deep Dish Pizza Quiche I will have it. Other than that I'm sticking to it. I haven't consumed excess carbs in a long time and I'm scared of the cravings that everybody talks about.

Wee