Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 23:06
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 110/110/&;100 Female 152 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default PP for shorties

Hi,

I was diagnosed with PCOS and i would like to follow the PP. I read the book and it said that we have to manage calories too.

I am only 5' and from the book i should eat around 1000-1200 calorie only...i usually eat more than that each day.

Is there anyone who does PP and is apprx 5' tall hanging around here? Can u give me some idea of your caloric intake please?

thank you very much
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-22-04, 09:21

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

hi and welcome. sory, but i am 5'5".

about calories though.... for me, the first 30 lbs came off without worrying about calories. after that i had to watch them. and now after 50 lbs, i really have to watch them. my current magic number is 2000. under and i can loose, over and i stay the same.

hope that helped a little..
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-22-04, 11:50

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Hi! I also will not be a huge help b/c I am 5'7". I, too, find that I don't lose, and actually gain weight from eating too many calories. I seem to maintain pretty well at around 1500 calories and 60g carbs. Less than that, and I lose. I also have found that I am more likely to gain weight when my fat is too high, rather than protein. When I was really concerned with losing, I chose very lean protein sources, had some carbs, and only enough fat to make things taste good. I never lost anything when I first did Atkin's, ate high fat, and only counted carbs. You might be able to eat more calories than what you stated, though, especially if you work out. I don't work out very consistently or rigorously (do Pilates a couple times per week), so I could probably eat more if I did. Hope someone else can help!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-26-04, 13:33

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Sheesh! I can't help either. I'm 7 inches taller than you, and don't suffer from PCOS.

Maybe you can try this link to the PCOS forum: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46

They might be able to answer some of your questions. Sorry that I couldn't!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 01:28
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 144/115/115 Female 5ft 2in
BF:35%/22%/22%
Progress: 100%

I'm 5' 2". When I first started PP I didn't worry about calories, and I really don't know how many I was eating. It was really only when I reached my goal weight and found that it was starting to drift upwards again that I gave calories any thought. I found that I lost weight slowly on about 1400 cals per day. I gain if I average more than about 1600 cals per day. (I'm about 115/116 lb now).
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 06:07

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%

I"m 5'3 or 5' 4 (sorry, I'm a metric person: 1,585 m tall!).
I work out every other day in the gym and noticed that I can eat up to 2200 kcals without gaining weight on a rest day and up to 2500-2700 kcals on a day that I lift weights and do interval cardio afterwards.

It's more important to know the total amt of LBM you have than how tall you are.. I have approx. 50 kg of LBM. (110 lbs.).

There's a formula I use... 1,23 x LBM x 24 x 1,5 /1,7 (rest/active day) that predicts how many cals I need to maintain weight.

So.. I think it's a bit silly to go by height rather than by weight.
Also... my protein intake is higher than the Eades recomment.. approx. 4 gram/kg of LBM = 200 grams.
However, I'm taking it back to approx. 150 grams since I'm trying to cut out dairy which provides me with at least 50 grams of protein /day.. since replacing this amt of protein by meat, fish or nuts is too costly I just wait and see what happens... currently this translates to slightly over 2 grams/kg of body weight (as opposed to the former near 3g/kg of bw)

Is this of any help to you?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-05, 18:40

Plan: protein power
Stats: 126/126/112 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:
Default Its tough to be little

I'm 5'2", so pretty close...I weight 125, so I need to lose a good 15 lbs at least. I just started the LC prgram again, because when I do low fat, I have to literally keep my calories under 500/day to lose. I am literally starving every day. And thats WITH working out for an hour 4x a week. On the low carb plan, I plan to keep my calories under 1000/day for the first 2 wks. PLenty of water and exercise. If I lose, then great. If not, I'll cut them to 800.
What sucks for little people like us, (and I was born in 1973 so I'm close in age too) is that we have a little less to lose than many, and we have to keep the calories down because we are "small" in other ways. Good luck to you.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 01:31

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%

Greanybean did you read ANYTHING I WROTE???? AT ALL??

it's sheer nonsense to take height as a measurement.. take muscle mass! If you have little and only fat, then you're screwed.
If you have a lot of muscle and little fat to lose, you're lucky and can eat A LOT MORE THAN 1000 KCALS... even 2000 kcals and still lose!