Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 10:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/211/160 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynsnest
Of course you do, that's the addiction, the sickness, the addict who needs the next fix, the next cigarette, the next drink, the next high carb whatever. This does not make you a hypocrite,you are human. Just think where that food has taken you, and what you have achieved and how you feel without it....

Well I decided to just eat a small amount of cheese instead of giving in. Cheese>Fast food amirite guys? alright I know cheese sucks compares to fast food but what do ya want me to do?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 10:23

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

No, disdain is a vile emotion. I feel sad since I used to be one of these people who carefully followed the government recommendations to starve myself on a low calorie high carb diet that just triggered cravings for crap, so I starved on 1000-1200 calories 90% of the time and binged the other 10% of the time - resulting in 35 years of yo-yo dieting - until I ignored all of the government, doctor, dietician & nutritionist's instructions and did the opposite.

Last edited by deirdra : Tue, Apr-25-17 at 17:31.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 10:53
Registered Member

BF:

For as it is written, the man who lives by carbs shall surely die by them.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 13:32

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAllLike
. . . alright I know cheese sucks compares to fast food but what do ya want me to do?

Actually a nice sharp cheddar or wedge of creamy ripe Brie or Camembert wins over any kind of fast food to me!!

when I started Atkineering I always has some good cheeses in the fridge so I could splurge on it when other high carb foods were calling out to me.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 19:21
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Actually a nice sharp cheddar or wedge of creamy ripe Brie or Camembert wins over any kind of fast food to me!!

when I started Atkineering I always has some good cheeses in the fridge so I could splurge on it when other high carb foods were calling out to me.

While I haven't found cheese to be an actual substitute for the fast food experience, I find if I crave fast food or anything else high in carbs, and eat cheese I become indifferent to fast food.

There was some author, forget his name who said when we crave carbs we really are craving fat.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 02:59

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Disdain, no. More like pity.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, May-01-17, 19:56
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

See, I suspect in retrospect he probably chose slightly the wrong word. But I think I know what he means.

It's anger, pity, frustration, all balled up in an eventually OH FINE THEN JUST KILL YOURSELF because that's what it comes down to. When people you love are doing this to themselves every day and you have to watch it, it's horrible.

Eventually it does turn into a grim sort of feeling that if you have to listen to them bitch about their health issues, is eventually going to reach disdain because they won't even try.

Everyone has sympathy for people who try and fail. It's hard to have sympathy for people who will not try.

And when people you love constantly try to sabotage YOU, too -- because apparently your mortal doom is no more important to them than their own -- that is frustrating too.

Having to live a healthy lifestyle in the middle of people who won't, having to watch people you love eat themselves to death, having to put up with people who have no respect for their bodies or yours and all the ways that can play out close up -- that's hard. I think some degree of disdain is a survival instinct. It's not that he's a snob, it's that he needs to emotionally shield himself from the BS and that is a natural progression of emotion IMO.

PJ
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-17, 16:26

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

The best thing you can do is to create a good example of yourself and hope that they will see it and follow you. Talking won't do anything but losing 150 lbs and feeling great and being happy and cheerful is worth more than a thousand words.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-17, 22:18

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Nicely put PJ, thanks. I was ready to feel disdain for the disdainful, but you placed it in a really understandable context.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 05:25

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
I don't really believe in looking down on people or judging people. For instance I don't think we should spend any time looking down at people who smoke or do other unhealthy habits. But like smoking and other things that are just bad for your body there is a certain part of me that feels some disdain for obese people who know about ketogenic diets and disregard them and just eat as if carbs aren't negatively effecting their body.

I've introduced my sister and mom to the ketogenic diet and they did it for a few weeks or so and my mom got off her blood pressure pills my sister lost like 10 pounds or so. But eventually they just went back to eating completely terrible again, and it kind of sickens me that they are doing this to their body. They just have no regard for their health. It's one thing to have a health problem you can't do anything about its another when you know what to do about it and don't do it.

I have to constantly turn down offers from them to go to dairy queen or other places that would ruin my way of eating. They just don't get this is my new life and its not changing for anybody. And I can't stand the fact that they don't care enough about their body to follow it as well. My mom is back on her blood pressure pills and eating without a care, my sister is back to her original weight and was recently told by a doctor she has the back of a 50 year old and shes only 32. Diabetes, high blood pressure, is just inevitable for her, its amazing she doesn't have it yet. And I can't even say I feel sorry for them anymore.

These are grown adults that just refuse to grow up when it comes to food. If your body can tolerate carbs them I'm all for it but if you can't tolerate carbs why are you eating fast food every day? It just makes no sense to me. Theres still so many obese people out there who say things like, its my genetics, or I've always been big, these things may be true but you can do something about it. So do it. Now if a person is obese and just doesn't know what to do to lose weight thats different, but to know what to do and ignore it and let your health deteriorate is madness to me. My sister keeps telling me she is doing the best she can. I definitely don't believe that. But all I can do is just watch the disaster unfold.

Come back this post in a few months and realize how your poop is causing pain and suffering in the people around you. "Caring for them" doesn't justify what you are doing to them.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-17, 10:32

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
I don't really believe in looking down on people or judging people. For instance I don't think we should spend any time looking down at people who smoke or do other unhealthy habits. But like smoking and other things that are just bad for your body there is a certain part of me that feels some disdain for obese people who know about ketogenic diets and disregard them and just eat as if carbs aren't negatively effecting their body.

are ya kidding here? you are so judgemental it is horrible and I mean this in a good way. (you need some monster learning here!) How dare someone not learn as you have, taken your steps in life to change, is at that point in life where a change of path in their journey is 'seemed fit' by you and should happen?

sorry can't go here on this post at all.

Do I feel for those out there 'not here yet' of course I do but your first paragraph is just so full of judgement on 'conditions you seem ok with vs. what you are not ok with' ---hey smoke if ya want but don't eat the donut. You say the ciggy is fine but the donut is not......so you made the call as you personally deem perfect on this planet! Tell the ins. companies that a smoker is not judged in their prems. they pay. Can ya change that or is it that it does not matter to you and your opinion to the ins. prem. factors from the company do not put such faith in your opinion? (again you best see some perspective here on this planet)

again sorry but this is just so off base.

obesity is caused by a ton of reasons. One being truly insulin resistance and food along with other troubles (per person and med info etc)

but obesity could be caused by med treatments for med problems, yet you think the 'one you know is healthy' should know better so you judge, yet the one in the store you see very obese and in a mobile buggy cart driving thru the store, will they get judged different manner against those you know first hand and how you judge them? maybe?

nope --you best work on your 'who gets the disdain factor' from you in this lifetime. And don't pretend your opinion on how one lives their life as they chose fit at their path and time on their journey as the 'only perfect' way thru life on 'your timeline' as it has worked for you.

Last edited by Whirrlly : Tue, Nov-21-17 at 10:43.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Nov-24-17, 22:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / South Beach
Stats: 265/246/185 Male 71 inhes
BF:
Progress: 24%

Where I find "disdain" (to use the OP's choice of word) is in the line at WalMart when the person in front of me has a cart piled high with soda, junk snacks, mega-boxes of sugary cereal, and fozen pizzas and his/her morbidly obese children are clamoring over candy in the impulse aisle or begging to stop at Burger King on the way home.

I was at Denny's with friends a while back, when a family of three sat down at the table across from us. The kid was about nine or ten years old and very obese. I wasn't trying to evesdrop but the kid was quite loud when ordering. He ordered a double cheeseburger with fries and one of their signature milkshakes with pancake puppies (basically donut holes with powdered sugar and glaze to dip them in) for desert. Neither parent batted an eye. Denny's lists the calories on their menu items and I couldn't help but be curious. His meal came to over 3,000 kCal and he ate every bit of it even though he was breathing heavily and looking mildly ill by the time he pushed down the last of the pancake puppies.

My disdain isn't for the kids, whom I genuinely feel sorry for, but for the parents who seem oblivious to what they are facilitating happening to their children.

Last edited by FatBGone17 : Fri, Nov-24-17 at 22:39.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-17, 07:10

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

My sister is a recent convert to low carb. It took seeing me lose almost 40 pounds before she was willing to give it a whirl. But when she first began she thought low carb was a hokey weight loss thing - Definitely not healthy. But having done crazier things in pursuit of weight loss, she decided to give it a try anyway. She’s down 30 pounds so far and off her reflux meds. Her blood pressure meds have been reduced and she’s confident they’ll be next to go. She’s a true believer! She tells anyone who’ll listen that it’s not a diet, it’s a way of life.

This Thanksgiving, she went to our other sister’s house. This sister has always been a thin aerobicizer, but two of her adult kids (former athletes) are now very fat. One of them has recently given up wheat and his asthma and allergies are greatly improved. Somehow the conversation turned to the Atkins diet and that whole family began laughing about how ridiculous the whole idea of losing weight through a higher fat diet is. And the ridicule was led by the guy who’s found better quality of life going wheat free!

My still fat sister then pointed out that she’s lost thirty pounds so far and that I’ve lost fifty. They all shrugged their shoulders and moved on to a new topic. I hope shes planted a seed in them. I really think you have to experience life without carbs to realize the prevailing medical advice is just wrong.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-17, 07:26

Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Live and let live...
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-17, 07:33

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF: